Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

I started reading it at Curs't. But now pronounce it Curs-ed.

I've always pronounce Futsie as 'fff-you-tsie'. As in the first syllable of 'Future'

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Spikes

Quote from: The Adventurer on 29 July, 2012, 09:59:29 PM
I started reading it at Curs't. But now pronounce it Curs-ed.

Same here, though 30 odd years of doing it one way is a hard habit to break.

Trout

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Forgot to mention that in my recent reading of The Treasures of Britain I finally got  to see the bit where Pat lays down the law on pronounciation of Sláine.  In his musical interlude. Ukko rhymes 'Sláine' with 'pain', then Nest points out that it should be pronounced 'slauncher', rhyming it with 'torture'.  Ukko then observes that this a matter for future generations to ponder.  That's us told!

QuickQuag

It was a few years before I understood the Helltrekkers 'next week' caption that inspired my username.

"Slow, Slow, Quick-Quag, Slow"
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

radiator

Never saw the little Dredd face hidden in the J of the old school Dredd logo until someone pointed it out on this board.

Mardroid

For some reason, when I first saw that 'J' it actually reminded me of Hammerstein. I'm not sure why, as it doesn't look much like him at all.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 July, 2012, 09:23:31 PM
QuoteStallone and Cannon thought MC1 was surrounded on three sides by The Curs't Earth (rather than Curs-ed), which made me question whether I'd been reading that wrongly all those years- for all I know I have.

QuoteIt is and you have.

You've got to think Alan Grant and John Wagner used the same pronunciation- unless that's why they couldn't keep working together- so you'd also think the audio on the clip below would settle the matter ... but it doesn't. Grant opts for Curst, but incorporates a glottal stop between the 's' and the 't' that gives it the same rhythm as Curse-ed. Because Cursd just sounds wrong (see the 1995 film).

Unless I'm mistaken, it was Mills who named the previously anonymous 'radiation desert' that had been mentioned (and shown in a limited form) in earlier issues. If anyone can be bothered trawling through that 3 hour ECBT2000ad podcast to find mention of Mills's protean Dredd epic they can claim the glory as their own.

GLOTTAL STOP YER CARRY ON (2m 05s)

Skullmo

The Garth Ennis story Death Aid, is a pun on Live aid but also on the old name for a hearing aid as a 'deaf aid'.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Quote from: QuickQuag on 30 July, 2012, 11:02:52 AM
It was a few years before I understood the Helltrekkers 'next week' caption that inspired my username.

"Slow, Slow, Quick-Quag, Slow"

I don't get this?!

QuickQuag

It's a dance move (the Tango, I think) "Slow, slow, quick - quick slow".

In my defence m'lud I was only a kid, and I still can't dance for toffee!  ;)
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

Skullmo

Quote from: QuickQuag on 01 August, 2012, 11:34:57 AM
It's a dance move (the Tango, I think) "Slow, slow, quick - quick slow".

In my defence m'lud I was only a kid, and I still can't dance for toffee!  ;)

Ahhhhh ! Now i get it!

D'oh!

glassstanley

Only just realised that Blackblood is named after the robot oil he drinks.

Hoagy

It has to be said; When Jessop Hammer is assembling hisc Iron Man drones at the Stark Expo and makes the comment that press have a real big problem that day, that they'd run out of ink, got me wondering what the fuck he was talking about. It gets me every time. But it's rewarding working it out just before the audience in the Expo theatre. But, it gets me every time hehe.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract