Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

Quote from: Link Prime on 25 April, 2014, 08:27:23 PM
Quote from: Eightball on 25 April, 2014, 07:42:00 PM
When Deadlock and Nemesis are looking straight ahead it's (blindingly) obvious that they are connected to one another. Or it is now, but before I just didn't see the resemblance.

There's always been a passable similarity back in the day, even if it was just Deadlock's 'maw'.
Bisley's stint on the ABC Warriors in the late 80's was the first time I became acutely aware of it, and Deadlock's similarity to Nemesis has never been more pronounced (or cool looking) when drawn by Henry Flint.

I've been watching that creator video of Kevin O'Neill discussing the origins of Nemesis and how he based the (previously unseen) character's head on the Blitzspear after discarding other concepts. It's an amazing coincidence that two characters seemingly created independently of each other should end up looking so similar. Either that or Kevin O'Neill has some weird recurring shit going on in his head.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Frank

Quote from: Eightball on 25 April, 2014, 10:35:20 PM
Kevin O'Neill has some weird recurring shit going on in his head

Understatement of the year, neebs.

maryanddavid

Deadlock was originally meant to be the occupant of the Blitzspear.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: maryanddavid on 25 April, 2014, 10:52:46 PM
Deadlock was originally meant to be the occupant of the Blitzspear.

I demand an explanation,  (S)He-Who-Is-Named-Twice.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

2000AD annual 1983 page 68.
David will suffice, I suppose I really should change the name, totally greenhorn I thought username was email back when and used the current one, so I couldn't be arsed. I hate when someone changes their user and pic, I have no idea of who is posting with 5000 posts to their name, except Trout who always keeps it marine.

A.Cow

Back in 1978 at the tender age of 9, my family went on holiday -- my very first time -- to the exotic land of Weston Super Mare.  So many things were different, including ITV.  For the first time in my life I experienced a different TV region first-hand!

When I went to try to find my beloved 2000 AD in a newsagent I found this:

For months afterwards I was convinced that they just had their own regional version of 2000 AD, just like ITV.  It was ages before I finally twigged that it was a one-off cover and a total coincidence.

Fungus

JayzusB.Christ

:lol: It took me ages to find that Big Dave one during the Summer Offensive.  I loved the cover but according to Viz it really doesn't help sales.

Also, thanks for the reference, David, I'll check it out when I get a chance
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Wig dude in Alan Bennett's The Madness Of King George III responds to someone pointing out that he has acted illegally by quipping I AM THE LAW!

JayzusB.Christ

just wondering:  Did anyone fail to realise that Frank Quitely was a pseudonym? I copped it straight away; but I'm only curious.  I won't judge you for it. I'm on your side.

Fungus

No way on this good Earth is Quitely a real surname. That much was obvious.
Beyond that, it wasn't a thrusting pun of a pseudonym, so I always assumed it was just a bit lame.

A.Cow

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 May, 2014, 12:57:34 AM
just wondering:  Did anyone fail to realise that Frank Quitely was a pseudonym? I copped it straight away; but I'm only curious.  I won't judge you for it. I'm on your side.

Eh?  I presumed it was a real name.  If there's a gag in there I don't get it.

EDIT:  Ah.  Just looked it up -- hadn't realised it was a spoonerism.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 03 May, 2014, 02:23:59 AM
No way on this good Earth is Quitely a real surname. That much was obvious.

Well, yes, but Warren Pleece is Warren's real name, I believe, so stranger things have happened...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

I often wondered if his brother Gary was just playing along with the joke, or whether the name Gary Pleece was a clever pun or reference I didn't understand.

I first saw Quitely's work on The Greens in Electric Soup, where the allusions to classic cartoonist of old made it seem much more obvious he was working under a pen name (the initials reminded me of Fred Quimby too). I'm not sure I would have twigged so readily if I'd been introduced to him in the world of action-adventure comics, where pseudonyms are much more rare. Shaky Kane and Smudge spring to mind, but I'm not sure Chris Halls/Cunningham or the occasional, temporary LJ Silver or Q Twerk count. Anyone want to inform me that Todd Macfarlane is actually Chaim Abrahamovitch?

JayzusB.Christ

I never copped the pun in Warren Pleece (even though there isn't one, but you know what I mean).  I remember Frank Quitely in Electric Soup; clearly a big fish in a small pond.  I seriously doubt if the Rocky McBlaw artist ever made it to DC.