Main Menu

Prog 2010: Your Move Eathlets

Started by James Stacey, 12 December, 2009, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

I can't say anything that's not been said before except:

1. Dante's back and, unlike the last time, it feels like the main story is advancing properly again. Hurray!  Can't get enough of this.
2. Stickleback, great stuff.  I'm digging out my trade so I can be properly up to speed.
3. Zombo has swiftly become a favourite - the collection can't come quickly enough.
4. Ewing on Dredd always spells quality.  He's brilliant and this is already a favourite xmas Dredd.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

I, Cosh

Quote from: nomohican on 16 December, 2009, 08:30:12 PM
An excellent end to a year of great progs. Not a duff story among them.

Really enjoyed the Al Ewing Dredd - 'They're rehearsing a pantomime' had me laughing out loud on the train to work.

With Zombo Do you suppose that every appearance will feature the gruesome death of some celebrity? We've got Robbie Williams here and Russel Brand in the last series.

Lowlife continues in fine form, with hints of darker times to come in the future.

The only problem is that I've finished reading it with three weeks to wait till Prog 1666. Still hopefully my hints to relatives and friends about 2000AD graphic novels will for Christmas will bear fruit...
Seriously. I know I'm being a dick, but can you explain why you put any of that in [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler]?

anyway, almost Friday and I seem to be the only cunt that's noticed the Robin Smith starscan. you people are ruined.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Quote from: dankell on 17 December, 2009, 03:12:11 PM
Very interesting,

Strange it's not picked up by D'Izzy in his Notes for Episode 1

To be fair he's admitted previously, by the time these come out he's forgotten some Refs.

Anyone spotted the fishpaste yet?

Good news as well, not only is there a Sgt Chips as previously stated but there is also one in Scarlet Traces according to the notes I have! 
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

was on train tonight back to Nottingham for xmas, I was laugh out in coldest Derby Rail station when reading Al Ewing Dredd story! brilliant and the best! and great characters!

Goaty's review for Prog 2010 soon!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 17 December, 2009, 07:00:15 PM
4. Ewing on Dredd always spells quality.  He's brilliant and this is already a favourite xmas Dredd.

Absolutely agreed on the Ewing comment. Was this better than 'Xmas in Exile'? To be honest, I can't make my mind up. They are both among the best Dredd I've read, thus far.

As for the Stront Dog ad... intriguing! But, it sure looks like it's going to be a resurrection story. I hope that Durham Red comes back, somehow, to the strip. Love that blade.

Ochs

I have nothing to add! All superb. A great end to a vintage year.

One thing though, maybe I'm alone in this but I didn't much enjoy Zombo's first series, however for some reason I really liked this one. And Ampney Crucis was great too.

Loads of good humour in this prog, quite a nice change of pace.

Ooh yes and can't wait to find out how PJ is going to get involved in TOD. Will the mayor be come a more politically powerful figure? The Judges are certainly proving themselves to be a disunited bunch who can't maintain any consistency when it comes to legislation etc.

I loved Dante too. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let it be a long run.

Actually I've said quite a lot. Didn't mean to do that.
Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.

Paul faplad Finch

Well, heres my review of 2010. It may be a long one.

Dredd : A suitably vicious end for the Big ol' Boys but the real meat was in the MC1 scenes. Sinfeld looks like more of a threat all the time and I worry for poor old Dan. This story gets twistier and turnier with every installment and I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess as to where they're going with it. Beautiful artwork as ever by Mr MacNeil. Lovely stuff.

Future Shock : Another genius piece of work from Chris Weston. I'd half convinced myself that "Counts as one" was a fluke but no, he's done it again. More please.

Stickleback : What a basterd eh? In a wonderfully entertaining way though, so he can be forgiven. Mr Edgington is, after Abnett and Wagner in joint first, my favourite writer currently working on the prog and he does his usual sterling work here, aided as ever by the wonderful D'israeli. Great start to what I'm sure will be a great series.

Dante : Pure set up for what is to come but as entertaining as ever and 12 pages of painted loveliness by THE Dante artist, full of half naked ladies no less, there is surely no cause for complaint.

Zombo : Rubbish. Total waste of space that squanders all the goodwill the first series had earned. I'd rather be reading Slaine. Slaine I say.

Ampney Crucis : Another excellent story by the Edgington scribe. I've never been a particular fan of Davis' art really but he gets points here for those wonderful depictions of the aunts. Liked the Stickleback nod as well. Edgington does those little things realy well.

Low Life : Poignant and hilarious at the same time ,with art perfectly suited to the tale. Can't fault it.

Dredd again : Glorious in concept and execution. Loved every bit of it.

ONE OF THE ABOVE REVIEWS DOES NOT REFLECT MY TRUE OPINION OF THE WORK IN QUESTION. GUESS WHICH ONE.

The cover got me thinking. 2000ad chess set. Herooes/White, Villains/Black. Which characters for which pieces? Is there a thread in that do you think?
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: faplad on 21 December, 2009, 08:21:17 PM
ONE OF THE ABOVE REVIEWS DOES NOT REFLECT MY TRUE OPINION OF THE WORK IN QUESTION. GUESS WHICH ONE.

It's Dredd, isn't it?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Paul faplad Finch

Weeeell, you know what, all things considered, I'll tell you what it is, at the end of the day. You might be right. My TRUE opinion of Dredd would have contained a fair few more superlatives.

But no.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Devons Daddy

its christmas, the prog is once again the highlight of the year,
which is saying something given the year of thrills we just enjoyed.

perfection has a new starting point. :P
loved every single page.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

El Chivo

That last Dredd story cracked me up!

Great prog now how to deal with 2 n half weeks no Twoth...

Bolt-01

Well, you 'could' have ordered yourself a copy of Zarjaz or Dogbreath to tide you over the festivities...

But you've all left it too late now.

Colin YNWA

Well I've been saving this as I didn't get a chance to read it when it first arrived. It was a pretty good Prog. Have to be honest number of stories aside it didn't feel too special but then I guess the annual prog has been a relaunch Prog for a while now.

Stand outs were definately Dante which was simply superb, both Dredds and the Future Shock. Zombo was good but felt a little thrown together, that last page set-up of the next story did excit me though anybody else thing the art looked a little Quitelyesque? Stickleback while it looks glorious doesn't do it for me. Ampney Crucis was ok but for a 10 pager did really grip me but again looked great and Lowlife was ok.

The highlights were fantastic the rest so so making it overall a good prog not a great one. Now the wait begins...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2009, 06:33:17 AM
Weston Shock:  Feck me but Chris Weston is a genius.

From the sounds of his latest blog entry, we may be seeing a bit more of Weston-the-writer ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Alas not in the Prog yet but here's hoping he tries his hand for 2000ad again.