Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: Threadjacking!
« Last post by von Boom on Today at 03:39:05 pm »
Creative Common / Re: What Are The The Prices For Lettering?
« Last post by Adrian Bamforth on Today at 03:38:25 pm »
Jim, my apologies about my earlier post, I didn't take the time to appreciate that proper letterers are available to take on this task or the subtleties involved as was answering as if it were just a tip for small press types. Egg all over my face.
Prog / Re: PROG 2111 - Welcome to the Thrill-Party!
« Last post by Bolt-01 on Today at 03:29:52 pm »
I don't really like when articles in the prog treat Tharg as anything other than a real life alien editor. It's a bit of a laugh we've been having for 40-odd years and I love keeping it going.  Even when there's photos of creators in the prog I preferred when the caption pointed out that they were 'in human form for the convention'.

Hear, Hear. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I love the conceit of Tharg.

Same as for me, the guy (or lady) handing out the bounties on the Doghouse should always be referred to as 'Harvey', regardless of their actual name.
General / Re: Things that went over your head...
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on Today at 03:27:43 pm »
Zenith Phase 3 - I've just learned from tvtropes.com the reason Thunderbolt Jason's magic belt, which only worked for right and justice, wasn't working for him.

I'd thought it was just a plot device to make him vulnerable like all of the previously mighty heroes therein. Not so - it was a huge clue that what the heroes thought was a noble act of saving the multiverse from the Lloigor was actually, unknown to them, a project to hand it straight to the dark gods in question.

Christ, I love obsessing over Zenith.
Prog / Re: Prog 2110 - Gremlins in the System!
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 03:27:43 pm »
Re: Kingdom, it's definitely an end, insofar as it wraps up the whole Numan-TickWar-Space stuff, but I don't believe it's the end. Abnett may (or may not) be resting it for a while at this handy point, but personally I'm not remotely done with Gene & Co yet, and I can't believe he is either.

As to the rest, Dredd good fun and looking great; SinDex a bit by-the-numbers (reminds me too much of the giant cyber-gator story) but Yeowell & Charles on top form; Brink as nerve-jangling as ever.  Abnett really pulling his weight this week!

Creative Common / Re: DREDDCEMBER!
« Last post by Bolt-01 on Today at 03:25:57 pm »
I like those colours- if you drop the transparency of the lineart it could work as a flashback technique.

Loving these PJ. Thanks for sharing and not being 'precious' about only showing finished pieces.
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on Today at 03:12:39 pm »
Enjoyed what I've read so far - the Dredd one was ok though a wee bit derivative of previous Dredds (To Thing With Love, The Haunting of Sector House 9, with a bit of the bad old Ennis days in Dredd's dealing with the perp).

Sláine was enjoyable, which it hasn't been for a while to be frank.  A nice little reminder of earlier short tales (the Shoggey Beast etc) before everything went sprawling and epic.  Not 100 per cent sure about the ending (Baba Yaga is Danu then?) nor Sláine's appearance (played by a fresh-faced 80s Don Johnson) but Weston's art is amazing as always.  The idea of the steam off barbarian dung made me a bit queasy I must say.

Deadworld is great, truly horrible in places. I've only skimmed it and everything else though, I'll get back to it.

Also, and I know I'm being a big nerdy child, I don't really like when articles in the prog treat Tharg as anything other than a real life alien editor. It's a bit of a laugh we've been having for 40-odd years and I love keeping it going.  Even when there's photos of creators in the prog I preferred when the caption pointed out that they were 'in human form for the convention'.
Creative Common / Re: DREDDCEMBER!
« Last post by pauljholden on Today at 03:03:32 pm »

Not every drawing has to be time consuming (or good)

Playing with Clip Studio Paint's new colourise feature - basically you set the line art layer as a reference layer (by clicking the lighthouse button) then on, say, a layer below, you crudly apply colour (think blobs of colour in the areas you think they go) then press a magic button (well, a couple of buttons) and hey presto! a full colour image.

It's not that smart, and really I had to go in a over draw some of the colour to make it that little bit more form defining, everything tends to look like a water colour piece, but still, fun to try.

-PJ
So much great art!

Cosier - Great work!

Ming - Your Lego looks awesome as always, and it was great to see your work featured in the bumper Christmas prog AGAIN! Congrats!

Super Super - Santa Tharg looks great and his minions creepy! I see a hint of Carlos' style in your work too, I like it!

Andy - As always,  you never dissapoint, great art and humor! Each elf looks unique and Dredd's expression is perfect.

Gail - another cracking entry to the advent calendar! Great choice of characters, gotta love SD!
« Last post by norton canes on Today at 02:07:10 pm »
The bits I've read so far...

Dredd: A decent enough effort, I guess - it can't be easy to come up with new ideas 40 Christmases in. What could have been a throwaway script focusing on the comedic elements does in fact reach for some depth. However I've never really been a huge fan of Boo Cook's art, and I think I've finally worked out why. It's not his drawing ability, which is excellent - it's the shiny, plasticky texture of his finished work, which puts my teeth on edge in a way I can't quite describe. Some sort of weird synesthesia thing happening on my part, I guess. Sorry Boo!

Deadworld: A masterful installment - a powerful script from Kek-W (more than making up for the slightly underwhelming most recent chapter of The Order) complemented by the most wonderful art from Dave Kendal. The way those those luminous skull-eyes pop out the page, I swear they're actually lit by tiny LEDs. And not content with being featured in the most iconic comic panel of all time, Fear now makes a bid to feature in the second best.

Brink: Another layer of intrigue is added to the puzzle, and another slice of awesomeness.

Caballistics, Inc.: The only thing it really develops and resolves is the mystery of the undead soldier. There isn't a lot of character stuff. Short and to the point, and great for what it is. I suppose we were lucky to get any kind of conclusion at all, so I won't complain.

The best thing about the prog so far, though, has been the two interviews. Excellent insights from both Gosnell and Burton on the process and perils of editing the Galaxy's Greatest. I particularly enjoyed the revelation that many Betelgeusian phrases originated from Kelvin Gosnell's days at public school. I love the idea of truculent schoolboys shouting "Splundig Vur Thrigg!" at their perplexed masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10