Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: pictsy on 08 December, 2017, 10:34:12 AM
Batman (1989)  I always liked this film.  Definitely one of Tim Burtons better movies.  It was kind of weird watching this after Superman as the two films sort of feel like they are in the same universe.  I don't have much in the way of criticisms, the film is what it is and I enjoy it for that.  I think it holds up well enough that it doesn't diminish the nostalgia I have for the film.

I didn't really like this film when it came out (after loving the Superman films) because I'd been reading the London Editions Batman reprints and for me Batman was athletic and fast moving. I couldn't quite accept an armoured version of Batman.
I didn't like Jack Nicholson's Joker much either - mainly because I'd read The Killing Joke and much preferred that version of the character and his origin.
Now I'm older and wiser I can accept almost any version of Batman as there have been so many. I actually think this is about as good as Batman films ever got. I far prefer this to Nolan's stuff (I still think the scarred gangster version of Joker is the least interesting direction for the character though).
The comic adaptation of this film is good too - lovely artwork.

Unfortunately Batman Returns is still shite, being one of Burton's dark fairytales (yawn) with a Batman veneer.

Dandontdare

I was with you all the way to that last sentence - I prefer Batman Returns to the first one - everything else is in place but DeVito and Pfeiffer are much more interesting (and better acted) villains than Nicholson's Joker.

Tiplodocus

The model work in BATMAN looked shockingly bad on first release. Now it looks risible and unforgiveably amateurish.

(And I also like Walken in Bateman Returns).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

Batman Returns certainly has a different feel to it and that's pretty well established from the start.  It has a fantastic cast who gave it their all.  It is the sort of film I liked Tim Burton for.  This kinda dark camp thing.  I like Batman Returns and find it very enjoyable to watch, but I get that it has niche aesthetics like much of Burton's work.

Nolan's Batman was fine.  I didn't like them as much as Burton's, but they had their merits and they aren't unwatchable (except maybe the last one).  First time I watched Dark Knight I did get bored and I didn't become a fan of Ledger's Joker.  The third film was a chore to watch and I'd probably prefer to watch Forever again over that one.

Jim_Campbell

I like the difference in approach between the first Burton and first Nolan Batman movies — Burton tries to give us a world in which Batman makes sense; Nolan tries to give us a Batman who makes sense in the world.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Daveycandlish

There are three good Batman movies; the two Tim Burton efforts and Adam West. You can keep the rest.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

I really like Batman Forever... I know, I know, but I do.

JLC

pictsy

Batman Begins
After speaking here about Batman movies I decided to rewatch this.  I appreciated the vision behind the film and think that it was executed well enough to be entertaining, but I don't think it accomplishes a more serious and realistic Batman very well.  The Scarecrow is also severely underused and one thing I like about watching Batman movies is the villains.  I would have liked to have seen a better Scarecrow villain because he appeared in the first Judge Dredd comic I ever read.  At times it felt like it was trying to cram too much into its run time with it's various themes, plot points and two villains.

I prefer it to the sequel because I have similar problems with Dark Knight, just amplified.  Nevertheless, I don't find them unwatchable and lacking entertainment.  I may have to give Dark Knight Rises another go at some point as I think I've only seen it once (certainly not more than twice) and I felt that film to be boring and stupid.

JamesC

Quote from: pictsy on 09 December, 2017, 10:00:35 AM
Batman Begins
I may have to give Dark Knight Rises another go at some point as I think I've only seen it once (certainly not more than twice) and I felt that film to be boring and stupid.

You're not far wrong.

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 December, 2017, 07:43:43 PM

Me too. The only Batman Sequel from those films  I disliked was Batman and Robin.

I, Cosh

You're a good lad, Colin. Always thought the ridiculous head-shaped skyscrapers and whatnot made a better Gotham than Burton's gothica.
We never really die.

pictsy

The Hitman's Bodyguard is an fine film.  I enjoyed Ryan Reynolds because I usually do.  Samuel L. Jackson's character shines the most probably because the care free attitude is not something I'm used to see from the actor.  The story has a nice enough premise, being an action odd-couple plot, but it all comes across as pretty generic.  The comedy was pretty standard, not really making me laugh.  It was merely endearing.  I'd definitely recommend it for a watch if you like both of the lead actors.  Salma Hayek puts in a good performance as well with her screen time being a highlight.

Professor Bear

The only Batman film I've struggled to get through, as it's not quite bad enough to be entertaining like the Burtons are, good enough to be compelling like the Nolans are, or even objectively interesting as a piece of cinema like Batman and Robin or BvS were.  I'm not even criticising Batman Forever here, it's just sort of... there.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 December, 2017, 11:53:35 AM

The only Batman film I've struggled to get through, as it's not quite bad enough to be entertaining like the Burtons are, good enough to be compelling like the Nolans are, or even objectively interesting as a piece of cinema like Batman and Robin or BvS were.  I'm not even criticising Batman Forever here, it's just sort of... there.

It has possibly the worst Batmobile ever seen on film, along with the worst haircut.