Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Simon Shelton Barnes - best known for playing Tinky Winky in the children's TV show TeleTubbies - has died aged 52

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 January, 2018, 10:35:22 PM
Ursula Le Guin.

Ah, sad news. Tordelback will surely be along with an appreciation but I can't imagine there will ever be a better writer who chooses the genre.
We never really die.

von Boom

McGurk76

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 January, 2018, 03:22:27 PM
After a long but hard-fought battle with leukemia, Bob Wakelin, promotional and cover artist for so many 8 and 16-bit computer games whose artworks are still seared into my brain, from Where Time Stood Still to Renegade to Operation Wolf to Cabal to Wizball, when people talk of underwhelming 48-128k games whose audience were suckered in by fantastic cover images, there's a good chance they were talking specifically about one of Bob's fantastic renderings.
Even if you weren't into gaming or home computers, if you were reading pop culture and/or sci-fi magazines in the early 1980s to the mid-90s, you'd have seen some of his work on the cover, in an advertisement, or possibly you remember one of his covers for Starlord, or some of his Marvel UK covers/posters.
A slow response here but wow - I remember that Star Lord cover. Clearly a great talent.

TordelBack

Crossposting from the dedicated thread, hate for anyone to miss my dazzling insight.

So sad to hear this.  My all-time favourite author in any genre, and for my money the very best at turning a clever SF concept into a character-driven story that revealed a truth about humanity.

CalHab

Very sad news. She did more than any other writer I can think of to widen the themes and scope of the genre. Modern sci-fi and fantasy owes her a great deal.

sheridan

Jeremy Inkel, Front Line Assembly, 34, asthma.

Tjm86

The news that Le Guin has finally passed away is indeed gutting, albeit at the ripe old age of 88.  So many classics written by her from the Earthsea series through Left Hand of Darkness and on and on.  Not to mention my all time favourite book, The Lathe of Heaven.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

The Fall's Mark E Smith, at 60.

Colin YNWA

Just heard on the radio that Mark E Smith has passed away. That's pretty bloomin' sad.

manwithnoname

JOE SOAP

Quote from: manwithnoname on 24 January, 2018, 09:21:17 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 January, 2018, 07:55:51 PM
The Fall's Mark E Smith, at 60.

He was only 60?

Drinking and smoking as much as he did wouldn't have kept him youthful.

Tjm86

"Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse."