Main Menu

New Who pic

Started by longmanshort, 28 February, 2005, 02:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I liked the episode where Sylvester accused Davros of attempting to take over the galaxy so that he could have "unlimited amounts of rice pudding".

Now that blonde bloke from All Creatures Great And Small:  he was a crap Doctor.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Grant Goggans

There are a full third of those episodes where I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, but there are some I quite like - the productions were pretty poor, but the scripts were much more interesting than Colin's.

Oddly enough, when "Time and the Rani" was shown in the US (in the omnibus "movie versions" we got), the editors were stumped as to what to do with the pre-title sequence to episode one.  So they cut out the opening seconds of silly special effects in the asteroids, and moved the TARDIS scenes after the titles.  So the only way to see those silly special effects in America was via a camera copy, until the story was released on VHS years later.  And who in their right mind would spend $20 for "Time and the Rani" on VHS?

--Grant

Leigh S

I was a huge Baker fan, drifted away with Davison, and only really watched the show again in the early 90s. The first 4 are great, Davison and Colin Baker have their odd moments, and I have tried with McCoy, but theres so much I dislike about those seasons -  the performances, the incidental music, the direction and the general clunkiness of the scripts (either too farcical in s24 or too self congratulatory in seasons 25/26 - there seemed to be a huge gap between what the show thought it was, and what was on the screen).  The McGann thing just didnt work, or for that matter make ANY sense (shame for McGann, who wig aside, did his best).

So I'm looking at this series with the attitude that of Chandler(?) as quoted by Alan Moore -  The books are on the shelf - the first two decades of Who won't be ruined if this doesnt reach me in the same way - its a throw of the dice... There may not be any new classics, and if so, theres the old classics to watch.  On the other hand, there just might be a few more that I'd happily buy on DVD - can't lose really  

Adrian Bamforth

Writer Russel T Davies was talking about the new Doctor Who yesterday on Radio 4's Front Row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/index.shtml

While you're at it here's the link to Is Superman Jewish from Saturday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/radio4/int/-/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/superman_jewish

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/index.shtml" target="_blank">Front Row

Quirkafleeg

They played the new theme on Radio One this morning - I was half asleep but it sounded pretty good to me.

Satanist

There was an interview with Russel T Davies in the Sunday Times magazine on, er Sunday.

I wasnt bothered about this but the interview and photo of a foam rubber midget have dragged me in.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Grant Goggans

Apparently, the torrented version does not have the "newest" music - what was torrented was the copy sent to the CBC, but a new arrangement has since been finalized.

I watched it last night with the kids and we enjoyed it thoroughly.  It's a nicely paced, good-looking hour of television, and the dialogue is fantastic.

--Grant

Adrian Bamforth

Just saw the first teaser trailer for it on BBC1.

The BBC site is full new stuff, go see:

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

Bico

Thank Christ they're changing the music.  It really is rather dire, and undermines the show at important moments.
There's potential in it - that's the best I can offer from the dodgy vcd version I saw coughcoughtorrentspycough, but the quirkiness of it is lost when, for instance, a bloke gets eaten by the world's most unconvincing cgi wheelie-bin - and then it burps!  Oh, my aching sides!  I hope the producers of Son of the Mask are watching to see how it's done!  Oh the hilarity! etcetera, etcetera...
And there was some godawful dialogue in there, too.  My brother and I sat making the kind of comments we'd expect from the Simpsons parody of Who, only to have the same dialogue parroted back at us by the screen "The Doctor is making house calls" was the worst.

But like I said - there's potential.  I just hope they iron out the self-satisfied (smug) feel of it all and stop short of producing another Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased), because that's what it most resembles at this point.

Marbles

I've got it on my hdd but can't decide whether to watch it or not, given the final product is aired so soon..
Remember - dry hair is for squids

El Presedente

whos seen the small trailer of the tardis in between the bbc idents

therev

Diddly-dum-diddly-dum...WHAAAA WHAAA WHAAAAA!
;-)
I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this...

Marbles

well i watched it last night & it didnt suck totally. good for kids i reckon.  
Remember - dry hair is for squids

doktor bee

argh it looks terrible!!!