Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

NapalmKev

Made for TV Turdfest, Atomic Dog! A puppy gets contaminated by Radiation and shit, some bad acting occurs and a resolution is reached! The first five minutes were actually ok - an old man is led out of the contaminated area crying "but what about my Dog?" which actually seemed quite sad.

The Horror channel does churn out some proper stinkers but it also shows repeats of Star Trek - original series and Voyager, so it's not all bad...

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Quote from: NapalmKev on 28 May, 2017, 10:46:16 AM
Made for TV Turdfest, Atomic Dog! A puppy gets contaminated by Radiation and shit, some bad acting occurs and a resolution is reached! The first five minutes were actually ok - an old man is led out of the contaminated area crying "but what about my Dog?" which actually seemed quite sad.

Sounds like something from Troma

JamesC

The Worlds End

I'd seen this at the cinema where I considered it quite good but not quite what I was expecting.

I really enjoyed watching it on TV last night though. There are some really well written characters in the film - I think we all have a bit of Gary King in us and we all have friends that we do favours for knowing that they wouldn't do the same for us!

The final scene is really cool too and looks just like something from an early 90s low budget Sci-Fi - 'The King' could have come straight out of 'Hardware' or something.

TordelBack

For me the real revelation of The World's End (my current favourite of the three) was Nick Frost - by 'eck can that man act when he wants to, not something the previous two instalments impressed on me.  By coincidence I was watching Hot Fuzz last night, and oh what a joyous craftsman Wright is: there isn't a shot or a sequence in that film that isn't precisely composed for maximum fun. 

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah I was a real fan of how World's End unfolds. I was younger when Shaun & Fuzz came out and End hasn't had nearly enough time to get in there but I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Eyes Without a Face
Unnerving and arresting French b/w curio, this. Georges Franju, like the Brassuer's obsessive surgeon, directs with a meticulous and detached coldness. Shots linger for far too long - and this mixed with smartly understated effects work leads to a few genuinely disquieting scenes which haven't dated in the least. Apparently extremely toned down from the source material (and rightly so from the sounds of it) but still a nicely bleak film with a few stunningly troubling moments. Basically a more palatable Face/Off.

To me Worlds End was the weakest of the 3. I feel Simon Pegg played Shaun in SOTD superbly. He was good in the other two films but that one fitted him perfectly. Fuzz had some great gags (the when's your birthday line gets me every time). Thinking about it now, Shaun feels to me the most grounded in reality. And I think that's why it wins top spot for me.

Just watched Taken 3. S**t film. Whoever directed this turd want's a good telling off. I'm not a director but even I know there is more to making an action film that just cutting between shots ever two and half seconds. It was almost unwatchable. If I had been watching alone I would have turned it off after the first ten minutes.

Steve Green

There's a really good interview with Edgar on Adam Buxton's podcast, well worth a listen.

http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2017/05/28/podcast-ep-45-edgar-wright/

Smith

Triple 9,It certainly has an impressive cast,and a good opening act,but that's about it.It never comes together,story is pretty thin.Somebody had a boner for Michael Mann,but they didn't quite figure out why his style worked.In the end,pretty mediocre.

Quote from: Smith on 25 May, 2017, 05:47:30 AM
John Wick 2.IMO its not quite as great as the first,but its still very good.Actually,best duology(for now) since Boondock Saints.

Should be going to see it this weekend. The girlfriend is a bit apprehensive after the first one as shes a big animal lover. I can't imagine they are going to kill his dog again...are they??

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 30 May, 2017, 01:37:33 PM
Should be going to see it this weekend. The girlfriend is a bit apprehensive after the first one as shes a big animal lover. I can't imagine they are going to kill his dog again...are they??

SPOILER: [spoiler]No, the dog is fine.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Re-watching Nightcrawler , it really brilliant dark, and Jake Gyllenhaal is excellent creepy! (Very finest actor!)

It on BBC iPlayer

The Legendary Shark

Alien: Covenant. A little ponderous, maybe, but otherwise I enjoyed the film. It got me wondering whether [spoiler]Ash in the original film was actually part of an android conspiracy to destroy humanity rather than a corporate plant.[/spoiler]

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 May, 2017, 10:49:36 PM
Alien: Covenant. A little ponderous, maybe, but otherwise I enjoyed the film. It got me wondering whether [spoiler]Ash in the original film was actually part of an android conspiracy to destroy humanity rather than a corporate plant.[/spoiler]

Hmm. I like that idea. Will this lead to an Alien/Blade Runner cross-over, I wonder...*

*Actually, please, let it not.

Mattofthespurs

Wonder Woman

I really enjoyed this. Some cracking action sequences and feels very much 'on message' at the moment.
Yes, it's a super hero film, and if you don't like them in general then you ain't gonna like this much either.
But I thought it was solid and entertaining.
7.5/10
[spoiler]Don't hang around after the film finishes. There is no 'after credits' scene.[/spoiler]