Main Menu

Mega City Art by Lavo

Started by Jim_Lavery, 27 April, 2016, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Lavery

Only my second post but I have a few samples I want to put up of each part of the process from sketch to finished colours. I've included mid to close ups to challenge myself but really what I can't believe how much I enjoy drawing 'Ol stoney face'.

I usually post to Twitter but I thought it was about time I said hello and make some new friends among my fellow Tharg devotees, please feel free to say hello, drop a comment or whatever.

Bolt-01

Jim, you might want to try these images again- they aren't working for me...

Jim_Lavery

Apologies, After a technical hiccup (good start Lavo) I hope you can now all see the images:

Darren Stephens

We can, and nice stuff it is too.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Jim_Lavery

Forgot to post the pencils of the first two but though I'd include these just before I ink them. Hopefully they're clear, I think the second one will be clearer when I get some black on there.

Jim_Lavery

Been away for a few days but back now and thought I'd put up the inks for the final two images. I wanted to include examples of close up, full figures and action shots, I'm not entirely sure they're successful but I'm looking forward to colouring them up which I think will help enormously.

Jim_Lavery

OK, I got the flat colours done on this sucker, next: highlights and shadows, maybe some texture. I can't believe a few years ago I resisted drawing Dredd because of the complexity of the costume, now he's one of my favourite characters to draw.

Jim_Lavery

So I finally got the highlights and shadows done on this, there are so many things I've got to do in a day, things like this take an age where they used to be super fast. Anyway its things like this that have brought my inking and colouring along, there's still room for loads of improvement, I'm still not very confident in those areas but I've definitely got better and I really enjoy it too.

Darren Stephens

Very cool Jim. You have a style that's right up my street.
                                       CLICK^^

Jim_Lavery

Praise from Caesar Darren, I've been following you on Twitter for a while now, some lovely stuff you have there, especially of 'ol stoney face Dredd.

Jim_Lavery

Crikey! Has it been so long since I updated here. Where does the time go. There's some terrific art around these boards, a lot of talented people. I can't even list all the things I've been up to, I'm so bad at being social, even on line, I get lost on the page and forget to stop drawing, to lift my head and talk to the world. When I do take the time, I see all the amazing artists, like on these threads and panic that I have to get better and go back to drawing. Sheesh! Anyway, here's a few pages of current work I finished a while ago. Feedback, questions all welcome.

Darren Stephens

These are excellent, Jim. Thanks for the kind words back in 2016..!  ;)
                                       CLICK^^

Bolt-01

Always a pleasure to see pages from you, Jim.