Main Menu

Astro City

Started by Trout, 18 August, 2013, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Do we have a thread dedicated to this little gem? I could only find GN queries when I searched so I thought I would start one.

Astro City, for the few who may not know, is the creation of Kurt Busiek and Brent Eric Anderson, with covers by Alex Ross. It's a superhero comic, yes, so a bit of a guilty pleasure, but it's not really about the superheroes. Astro City focuses on the ordinary people: the innocent bystander in the interplanetary war, the sidekick hoping to be a hero, the villain whose luck has run out again. It's bloody tremendous stuff.

A new ongoing series is three issues in. I managed to pick up all three yesterday (I'm just getting back into paper comics after my big emigration disruption) and I can recommend it. It's back to its best, especially with issues two and three, after the too-long and too-dark Astro City: the Dark Age.

Is anyone else picking this up?

Anyone want to name some favourite Astro City stories?

- Trout

Link Prime

I read most of the Astro City run when it was under the 'Homage' imprint years ago, but due to its erratic publishing schedule / scarcity in my LCS since, I never continued after that.

I've heard nothing but good things since the Vertigo relaunch, and absolutely intend to get this in trade format / comiXology sale (whichever comes first).

My favourite story was the mystery surrounding The Confessor; a religious type superhero investigating a spate of murders. Only problem is, his teen sidekick Alter Boy suspects that his mentor is somehow involved and begins an investigation of his own...with unexpected consequences. Great comic.

Art

It's ally lovely stuff, and any given story tends to be fairly self contained so it's easy to dip into.

The Adventurer

I love Astro City. It was one of the first comics I was recommended back in the early 2000s when I was getting into independent comics heavily. I fell in love with its brand of super-hero examination.

I believe I started following the series regularly with Local Heroes, then of course the The Dark Ages, and all the one shots. Dark Ages rambled a bit, but over all I enjoyed it as much as the rest of the series. The one-shots that got sprinkled in were great, and I loved the Silver Agent epilogue two-parter.

I think my favorite Astro City saga to date is still Tarnished Angel. A lot of people like Confession more, but I love stories about badguys who really aren't bad guys.

Current series is starting out on some pretty good high notes. I recommend it!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Trout

Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 August, 2013, 09:34:28 PM
I think my favorite Astro City saga to date is still Tarnished Angel.

Me too.

IronGraham

Can't for next month steeljacks back baby!
We're werewolves not swearwolves