Main Menu

Marriage equality

Started by Famous Mortimer, 26 June, 2015, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/26/gay-marriage-legal-supreme-court?CMP=fb_gu

It's enough to bring a tear to your eye. In recent memory, people have died just for their sexuality, and now everyone can get married. Ain't it lovely? And with Ireland recently too...

I don't know. Not much of a thread. I'm just happy as hell.

locustsofdeath!

I'm happy and sad for gay people.

I'm happy they can get married, but sad they'll find out how much marriage sucks.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 26 June, 2015, 05:51:19 PM

I'm happy they can get married, but sad they'll find out how much marriage sucks.
I'm sure there's quite a few commitment-averse gay people realising they've got one less argument against settling down now :)

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 26 June, 2015, 05:56:04 PM
Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 26 June, 2015, 05:51:19 PM

I'm sure there's quite a few commitment-averse gay people realising they've got one less argument against settling down now :)

:lol:
Ha! Those poor saps!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 26 June, 2015, 05:30:56 PMAin't it lovely?

With this and Obamacare being spared WHERE'S THE FUCKING APOCALYPSE?

Buncha Commies.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Colin YNWA

The only downside to this is that its taken use until 2015 to get there in many countries that would consider themselves liberal and freedom loving. There are still many more where being in a relationship, or heck just fuckin' around with people of the same gender as you is still a crime. A fuckin' crime.

We defo need to celebrate these victories for common decency, but than we need to remind ourselves there's still a distance to go.

"What's next?"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 26 June, 2015, 05:30:56 PM
I don't know. Not much of a thread. I'm just happy as hell.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

Great to see.

Was involved in a small way with Scotland's successful Equal Marriage campaign, which culminated with the first weddings on New Year's Eve.

This It's Time video still makes me well up, and it's quite a thrill to see heroes like Brian Cox and Alan Cumming holding up signs I helped produce.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 26 June, 2015, 06:12:22 PM
Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 26 June, 2015, 05:30:56 PMAin't it lovely?

With this and Obamacare being spared WHERE'S THE FUCKING APOCALYPSE?

Buncha Commies.

As soon as I read this today, I checked out the comments section for the story on the Fox News website (always a laugh). Lots of liberal trolls and frothing rednecks posting random non-sequitur outbursts about AIDS and pedophilia, and God and Satan of course.

My favourite exchange was:
(Frothing religious conservative in Caps Lock): THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GAY MARRIAGE!
Instant "libtard" reply: You're right, from today there is just marriage

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Fer fuck sake.

Like I don't get invited to enough weddings.
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

Yep, great news.  Another step towards progressivism for the U.S. - perhaps they could stop shooting each other next.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 June, 2015, 10:15:19 AM
Yep, great news.  Another step towards progressivism for the U.S. - perhaps they could stop shooting each other next.

Stop with that. We don't all shoot each other just like you're not all Polish-hating bigots.

ZenArcade

Great news. Nothing made me more proud of being an Irish man than the public vote to endorse equality under the law for all people. Well done to the yanks. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Steve Green

Quote from: Mikey on 27 June, 2015, 02:11:45 PM
Ulster still says No.

M

They'd like the Make A Dredd Sequel page then... FFS

Still not quite got to level of 'wanting to smash the publishers hands with hammers' as one delightful prick poster on the 2000 AD FB page.