Main Menu

Dear God... let this be true...

Started by DrRocka, 07 May, 2017, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

The BBC are making an original era - set version of War Of The Worlds. So long as no - one called Moffat's involved, I'm over the moon.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/5/4/15551306/bbc-the-war-of-the-worlds-tv-series-peter-hartness
Never ever bloody anything ever

CrazyFoxMachine

If it's basically Edginton & D'Israeli's adaptation scored by Jeff Wayne that's all of my boxes ticked.

Richard

Dredd Head

Quote from: Richard on 07 May, 2017, 02:03:50 PM
I'd watch that.
Agreed . Loved scarlet traces and the Spielberg adaptation so hopefully this turns out good[/size]

Heath C Ackley

Radio 4 broadcast an adaptation not so long ago. It was closer to the original source and more mature in nature than any of the movie versions.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Dredd Head

Quote from: Heath C Ackley on 07 May, 2017, 06:55:49 PM
Radio 4 broadcast an adaptation not so long ago. It was closer to the original source and more mature in nature than any of the movie versions.
I wonder if theirs any way of finding this. Would be good listening while doing the dishes :lol:

IndigoPrime

Although the book was intentionally contemporary (and primarily a satire on imperialism), I've never fully understood telly and Hollywood's fascination for updating the original story, not least as we continue to blaze away from the 1890s. To my mind, any War of the Worlds set in the modern day now strikes me as a missed opportunity – another me-too 'man against the aliens' movie. But Sharpe vs steampunk tripods – that, I want to see!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 May, 2017, 07:58:06 PMBut Sharpe vs steampunk tripods – that, I want to see!

Been over ten years since I first heard about it and I still haven't picked up a copy (word at the time was that it wasn't much cop) but the Timothy Hines version in its various cuts and reworkings might tickle that pickle.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

DrRocka

I've actually got a copy of the Hines one from around ten years ago Eric, it's nigh on unwatchable. God bless him, like the artillery man, his dreams far exceeded his powers. PM me your address and if I can find it I'll send it over to you when I get a day off later in the week. It's region 1 only though, if I remember rightly.
Never ever bloody anything ever

shaolin_monkey

I pretty much love every single adaptation of The War of the Worlds, even those that aren't much cop.  However, what I would want out of a BBC drama is the original period setting, some shit hot special effects, and someone narrating passages from the original book - and not just the intro! 

Wells's writing is just awesome, and paints more pictures than either the musical or any film adaptation:

Dredd Head

Only if it's narrated by Morgan freeman  :lol:

Keef Monkey

Remember Tripods?! That still remains quite a painful childhood memory for me as it was the first time a show I watched regularly got cancelled mid-flow. I seem to recall a 'Tripods will take a break for the golf coverage' type announcement and then it just never came back, which confused the hell out of me. I guess it prepared me for how harsh the telly cancel-hammer would be as life went on!

I'd be up for this, I did genuinely really like the Spielberg film (there are parts of it where it conjures up that childhood tripod terror brilliantly) but I don't think I've ever seen an adaptation in the original period setting so should be interesting. Closest was probably the '60s(?) film, and that didn't even have tripods in it. Pffft.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Heath C Ackley on 07 May, 2017, 06:55:49 PM

Yeah I was going to say - if they basically beef up the radio script it'd be some pretty harrowing viewing

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dredd Head on 08 May, 2017, 08:10:49 AM
Only if it's narrated by Morgan freeman  :lol:

Good shout, or Bill Nighy?

Best ever: Richard Burton... his reading of the Thunderchild excerpt is still stirring (if only he'd read out the whole thing and that fey f**ker didn't start singing)
DDT did a job on me

positronic

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 07 May, 2017, 02:02:49 PM
If it's basically Edginton & D'Israeli's adaptation scored by Jeff Wayne that's all of my boxes ticked.

If only! I'm equally excited and jaded with a 'probably too good to be true' outlook, meaning despite what sounds like good intentions, I fear that they'll find a way to muck it up, or just not have the money or technical expertise to do it justice.