Main Menu

Ebay advice

Started by Tjm86, 17 February, 2017, 09:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Well, I purchased a copy of the Tornado Summer Special from a seller based in New Zealand before Christmas.  It's been about two months now and there is still no sign of it.  I've been in contact with the seller who said that he posted it after Christmas when the postal service reopened.  That still places transit time at a month.  When I've sent stuff that way in the past it has taken about a fortnight and that was a larger book.

Anyway, aforementioned seller asked if I could give it another week or so when I initially contacted him.  Also said that he would have a look and see if he had another copy.  I accepted the suggestion of giving more time, by this point having given it the best part of a month anyway.  It still hasn't turned up so I suggested that perhaps we had to accept that it was lost and look at refund options.  At this point the seller noted that I hadn't opted for insurance on the purchase and is offering a partial refund.

So my questions are:

• Am I being unreasonable wanting a refund?
  • Do I have to accept that because I didn't take insurance out with the seller that the best I can hope with is his offer of a partial refund?
  • Wouldn't this transaction be covered under ebay buyer / seller protection? 

Any replies will not be taken as legal / binding and any choices I make based on suggestions will in now ways hold the suggester liable.  Thanks guys / girls / insert your gender preference here.

Bolt-01

hmmm- Can the seller provide a proof of postage? If so, then a partial refund is fair as it's not 'his' fault it's gone walkabout.

I had a similar situation where I did indeed partially refund a buyer, only for him to contact me the following day to tell me the item had arrived and he was going to complete the payment.

I also remember a time many moons ago where a parcel of progs took 3 months to reach an address in Ireland.

Personally I'd accept the partial in this circumstance.

IndigoPrime

As far as eBay is concerned, it doesn't make any difference how something was posted – just whether it arrived. Hell, plenty of times, things have arrived (like iPhones), buyers have returned 'alternate' goods (like old Nokias) and eBay has still sided with the buyer. So really it's more down to how you feel about the situation regarding what you'll accept than coverage. Because chances are if you start a dispute, you'll get your refund in full.

Spikes

Open up a claim via eBay - this can be ended, once things are sorted - though you maybe only have a short-ish window of opportunity to do this.

45 days after the transaction started?? Reading your post, my Spider-sense did tingle when you said the seller requested more time. Maybe nothing, but maybe waiting for the time period to run out.

And a full refund if the item doesn't turn up. And state a time frame for this, and stick to it. So, another week or two, and then go for the full refund.

matty_ae

Yup I agree - start the claim process immediately - make it formal anything else doesn't count.
Usually after 14 days they automatically credit the buyer as long as you paid with paypal.

Tony Angelino

I agree with the others - start a claim.

If I sell something on ebay and its worth under £20 Royal Mail will give the sender a refund providing you have a proof of postage. If the posted item is worth over £20 then the seller should be sending it with the correct postage to cover himself if it went missing. I would presume whatever the postal service in NZ is has something similar.

I think there is a set period of time though before something is considered lost in the post and so the seller might have been okay when he said to give it a bit more time.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Spikes on 17 February, 2017, 12:27:36 PM
Reading your post, my Spider-sense did tingle when you said the seller requested more time.

The bit that made me suspicious was "Also said that he would have a look and see if he had another copy." - this is quite a rare item - wouldn't he know if he has another? Maybe he's "selling" the same item to multiple buyers?

I hear so many horror stiories of sellers who've been forced to refund based on obvious lies, but in this case, I think you've got good grounds to ask for a refund.

Tjm86

Well, I'd started the process through ebay's complaint procedure by accident more than design.  His suggestion that he might have a second copy did make me twitch for exactly the reason mentioned, this is not a particularly common item.  I've tried the reasonable tack and the moment I mentioned refund he threw inn sewer ants back at me then the lesser offer.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

matty_ae

what happened in the end?

Tjm86

Time ran out as the vendor kept spinning it on.  I was going to refer it on but missed the deadline.  My fault.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Have you got his contact details? I can go pay him a visit if you want...

Tjm86

Well this is one for the books.  I am now glad that I never actually got as far as kicking up a major stink about this.

Why?

Because it has just arrived!  18 months to get from New Zealand.  To say that I am completely floored is an understatement. 

Some lass just swung by and shoved it through the letter box so I'm wondering if it was mis-delivered (there are a couple of roads around here with variations on the same name - avenue, road, close etc and occasionally stuff ends up through the wrong letterbox).  Still, it's taken a loooooooong time to get here.

Mind you, it is in a really good state.

matty_ae

It's coming home
It's coming home

I'm glad it arrived
Good result