Main Menu

Meg 223 - Big Bother

Started by Leigh S, 23 August, 2004, 03:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

"i can't help but be cynical and see it as a way for the writers to make a bit more money. why must there be re-prints at all, why not more origional work. or more space for dredd files so that we can get over with it quicker...?"

Well, I don't think the writers make a great deal of money off of these reprints...

As I understand it, the main reason for reprints is mainly financial: it's cheaper to reprint material than to commission and print brand new material. There's also the issue of risk involved in paying for & publishing brand-new strips - if you've spent thousands on a story that meets with complete reader disapproval, it's been a waste of money, but you're guaranteed that most of your readers will enjoy reprints of classics from the archives.

VampiraJen

Well, I don't think the writers make a great deal of money off of these reprints...

what about creater owned stuff like button man?

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, a decent enough Meg.

Cover - Already seen it in the True Brit book, but nice indeed.

Dredd - s'okay.

Koburn - Good stuff, dark and funny.

Anderson - Intriguing. More pieces of the puzzle.

Simp - Yeah, great stuff. Will we see DeMarco next month? Love the fact that it explores stuff from Meg history but builds upon it.

Siddhe - I'd like to see more.

Next months line up - Start of the McNulty epic, massively looking forwards to that. More new stuff? Great. Been promised since last Dreddcon, glad to see it. Charleys War deserves to continue.

Dudley

What a pleasant surprise to get this since I thought it was next week - D'Oh!

I really liked Dave Taylor's take on Dreddworld, mucho promise there I feel.

Simping Detective was awesome.  Again.

CEKoburn somewhat less so - can we have some proper action from the dude now, please?  Or funnies?  Good character, shame about the fairly weak plot.

Anderson continues to just get better and better.  The cafe scene was inspired.

CW - trench fighting mayhem goodness!

HELLTREKKERS - OK, WHERE IS THIS FINAL SCENE YOU OLD-TIMERS KEPT GOING ON AND ON ABOUT?  What, the bit with Crustacia at the end?  The way you lot talked it up, I thought she was going to turn into a sixty foot tall monster and eat them all...  This was just rubbish.

Metro Dredd... also a bit pants.  Again.

Letters... BWAH HAH HAH HAH!  And that's why comics aren't for girls...

[YT-2]

>HELLTREKKERS - OK, WHERE IS THIS FINAL SCENE YOU OLD-TIMERS KEPT GOING ON AND ON ABOUT? What, the bit with Crustacia at the end? The way you lot talked it up, I thought she was going to turn into a sixty foot tall monster and eat them all... This was just rubbish.

You heartless bastard Dudley, poor old Crustacia swimming off and Bish Glemp the tortured father forever doomed to roam the streams and riverbanks of the new territories.
The reason I love that final scene is the last twist of the knife by Wagner. Yes we've watched loads of them die during the Trek but the story had ended the 16 survivors have new lives and all were happy with the news of babies, setting up new businesses or becoming prominent members of the new territories. Bish & Futura Glemp are happy because their daughter has made it with them away from the harsh anti mutant laws of MC-1.
But can any Wagner story have a truly happy ending, I still think of Bish Glemp walking along riverbanks a broken man.

[YT-2]

DavidXBrunt

Wouldn't it be great to see Crustacia as a grown up and part of the N.M.A. or something like that? A really interesting addition to those sporadic 'Mutants are people too' tales we get.

Bolt-01

Good idea Dave, could be a WEHT? in there.

Bolt-01

Pete Wells

Yay! - Bring back Crustacia!

A couple of my thoughts:

Loved the cover, Dylans Dredd is always cool.

Dredd - Aaaagh! The bit where Dredd arrests the citizen who'd reported the crime for tampering with the crime scene. I HATE it when writers potray Dredd as harshly as this; Dredd has developed more as a character over the years and I really feel he wouldn't do this these days. It's like something Mark Millar would have written, I expect better from Alan Grant of all people.

Is it just me or do others agree?

Pete.

thrillpowerseeker

Nope..dont agree there Pete..I like my Dredd to dole out ridiculous sentances for misdemeanors..as for this trend of portraying Dredd as more moderate in his middle age (heart of gold hidden underneath a stern stare and grimace bullshite)I dont buy into that at all..I'd like to see Dredd become bitter and twisted in his dotage till they evntually force the long walk onto him after he sentances a Simp to death for dress code violation..far more fitting for a facist with the blood of millions on his hands..  : )

[YT-2]

>Is it just me or do others agree?

6 months for tampering with a crime scene seems quite in character for Dredd.

[YT-2]

Leigh S

"HELLTREKKERS - OK, WHERE IS THIS FINAL SCENE YOU OLD-TIMERS KEPT GOING ON AND ON ABOUT? What, the bit with Crustacia at the end? The way you lot talked it up, I thought she was going to turn into a sixty foot tall monster and eat them all... This was just rubbish."

Any more of this talk Dudley, and we'll be asking for your squaxx licence back.  You do have a licence...?

Alan Grant does tend to have Dredd doling out harsh sentences, and sometimes they work for me, sometimes they don't - the "stupidity" charge was one that didn't work for me, as are the numerous charges he hands out for public displays of affection in Grants work...  This one didn't seem to tally with what I'd expect from a Wagner script, but it's a far way from Millar!  I know what you mean, though.  

Pete Wells

Thanks Watcher! I thought it was just me being a big softie there!

Pete.