Main Menu

Meg 214

Started by Leigh S, 15 December, 2003, 05:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Barnes

"Ok, am I the only a little peeved at the price hike? THREE POUNDS for a SD reprint? THREE FECKING QUID?"

Same as last year, it's ?2.04 above the regular price, for the 48-page Stront reprint, the calendar, and about 30% more new strip.

--Alan

Trout

I liked a great deal of the latest Megazine, especially the Wagner Dredd, the Death story, Gordon Rennie's increasingly ridiculous and entertaining column and XTNCT.

I'm glad Apocalypse Soon is finished, as it didn't work too well, IMO.

The Anderson story is quite good; I really enjoyed the early SD reprint, even if it was exactly the plot of Star Wars. Fun art.

Charley's War is still worth reading, although I can't enthuse about it too much.

The Tweak tale was a bit flat, despite Chris Weston's always sterling efforts.

I wasn't keen on the Satanus stuff, for no good reason. It just didn't excite me much.

Also, both free gifts were great fun.

This was a very good Meg, but mainly suffered from landing on my doormat with the best prog of the year.

- Trout

dweezil2

Who'd have thunk it! It wasn't too long ago when the Meg appeared it was on a downward spiral to oblivion. But no longer shall the Meg be regarded as 2000ad's inferior companion publication. The last year has seen it come of age, and hats off to Alan Barnes and Rebellion for doing the unthinkable, and saving the Meg.
The latest issue is no exception. I actually enjoyed every story printed-even the text story was a piece of class, and bodes well for the forthcoming Blackflame novels. In fact in nearly every way it out classed 2000ad-no mean feat, as the bumper issue of 2000ad was a corker. I urge lapsed readers to give this months Meg a try, and remind themselves how good it used to be; no scratch that, it's better than it's ever been!
And the tantalising details of forthcoming thrills, only goes to reinforce a healthy future for the meg. I still can't get over the fact that Anderson Psi's back where she rightfully belongs, and illustrated by Arthur Ranson! Keep this level of quality up, and i'll never doubt you again.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Oddboy

I *finally* got round to reading all of Devlin Waugh & XTNCT this afternoon -

Devlin is actually excellent! Why o why was this not put in the weekly where the momentum could be maintained?

XTNCT was very good (D'art was fantastic) but I found the last episode fairly confusing & I'm not sure quite what happened in the end. Any suggestions?

Better set your phaser to stun.

Dudley

Everything by Pat Mills helped me to decide that he's never going to be even in my top 100 2000ad writers.

Gordon Rennie - very very funny.  Gordon is now in hiding in the Hebrides, but that's unlikely to stop Pat Mills...

Dredd - excellent, much better than the 2000ad story, good gags and good pacing.  Not bad for something essentially built around the phrase "turkeys voting for Christmas".

Anderson - I've wanted to see more on the background of Deadworld for a long time, looks like this will be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Bernard - rubbish.  In contrast to the Sin/Dex text story, there was no need for this to *be* a text story.  In fact, it would've made a much better strip.  

TPO or whatever it's called.  Hmmmm... how many weeks is this due to run???

Judge Death - Such a great setup for next month, I don't really want to comment cos I'm not sure what's going to happen.  In fact, I have a feeling that the missiles may be actually fired (as opposed to, say, Sleaze n Ryder).

Overall, 8.5/10, much better than prog 2004.

Devons Daddy

best meg of the year.

perfect. from great cover to bloody brillant charlies war. and gordons peice. very funny.

what a great way to send out the year.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

zenith as if

Just started reading this last night,the  JUDGE ANDERSON story is a corker, brilliant stuff especialy nice to see  more background on young Sidney, other stories were good to.

Arthur Ranson I tip my hat to you sir.