Main Menu

MEGAZINE 216

Started by Darryl, 07 February, 2004, 07:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Just got my Meg. I'll post more later, but first: WHAT THE FUCK! They can't leave it there! I doubt that's the end of Death, but it's the first time in ages that I've thought it actually could be - cracking end to the series.

Trout

I'll post full comments later, when I've time, but I want to say:

1) Rennie, you sentimental, slushy old sod!

and

2) Mills, please retire now. Your dialogue is absolute shit.

Still, a very, very, very good Meg.

- Trout

WoD

Best Dredd for ages, and he wasn't in it.  Nice one Mr Rennie.
Good Meg all round this month, although I can't speak for the articles as I haven't had chnace yet.

GordonR

>>Best Dredd for ages, and he wasn't in it. Nice one Mr Rennie.

Cheers, although I wouldn't actually agree with that.  John's story in last month, for instance, was an absolute cracker.

I was rather hesitant about pitching it (and not just because it featured Rico, who's kind of a hand's off character, although John gave it his blessing) for the very reason you mention.  I think the pitch started "Well, Dredd isn't actually going to be in this story..."

Giant's a character I like a lot, although we often don't see much of him.

Trout

As we've been saying on another thread, the supporting cast in many 2000AD stories is quite important.

Both Gordon's stories in this month's Meg made strong use of members of that cast, in a highly entertaining and emotive way.

You can't tell Gordon's that sensitive when you meet him, y'know.

- Trout

Mr C

That's true. Going up to him in a drunken stupor and slurring "Shtormin 'eaven were fuggin great mate!" gets a roll of the eyes and a shake of the head.

Anyway!
Cover-Cliffy R does it again.
Dredd-Excellent story, fantastic to see some modern day followers of Adolph Soso's fashion sense!
WWEHT: Giant-Really enjoyed this one, very sympathetic and quite a touching ending.
Death-Interesting ending, wonder if the ending of the will somehow tie up with Half-Life. Strange that I find myself sympathising so much with a nasty genocidal maniac and feeling sorry for him when he's foiled agian by those pesky sinners!
Charley's War- I'm too young to have caught the days of Battle, but this still is a brilliant story and makes me wish that Pat Mills could brush up on his storytelling and dialogue.
Blood of Satanus 2-Apart from Weston's art, the only thing that keeps me interested in this is the upcoming Dredd/Satanus rematch. Shame really.
2000AD Gold: Young Giant- missed this the first time around but I'm glad to have caught up on the background of this well fleshed out supporting character.
Anderson-I love Ranson's art and this is a fantastic story, I love the Dark Judges and seeing their creation would (sorry about this) ROCK! Fuego's obviously Judge Fire and we all know De'ath is Death, but what was Fear and Mortis called originally?

Byron Virgo

Judge Monkey & Judge Harris (respectively)

Tex Hex

Wasnt it a big deal when Frank Millar submitted the dredd cover with facial hair? How does "Duke Mighten" get away with it? He looks like my gran!

hex

Byron Virgo

Carlos Ezquerra has drawn a stubbly Dredd before, as has Cam Kennedy. I don't understand all the contoversy.

Smiley

Except for Death and Anderson (the two highlights) the art and writing throughout was a bit disappointing this month.

Tex Hex

Nah Im not bothered myself, I just remember Dave Bishop thought it a problem...

hex

Trout

SPOILERS, CREEPS!

This month's Meg gets a well-deserved eight out of ten from me. It's truly an excellent comic.

Getting the only bad bit out of the way first, I fervently dislike the Satanus Dredd, mainly because of the poor dialogue and general pointlessness of it all.

I'm pretty certain Dredd uttered a double-entendre at one point this month, and the whole thing is stilted and poorly-told.

In addition, the plot is all a bit hard to take, isn't it?
"Yes, I'm aware of dark matter." Shut up, Pat. Just tell a bloody story, will you?

However, back to the plus points:

All three Giant stories were very good, especially the tear-jerking exit of John "Giant" Clay; a truly dignified ending.

I've read the Giant reprint a few too many times, but I welcome the concept of using relevant reprints in partially themed editions.

Charley's War continues to keep me interested, and the Death tale was quite exciting, despite a bit of the sort of astral plane guff I don't usually go for.
The art kept that one a highlight for me.

I'm increasingly keen on the Anderson story, as it continues to build. Ranson's art is always lovely.

Yes, that's so obviously Judge Fire. Is Anderson so brain-addled that she can't see an obvious plot twist coming? Oh well, it's still good.

Mr C - I reckon Fear and Mortis will be called Fe'ar and Mor'tis. These disguises are pretty cunning, after all.

The Bish-Op article is better than I thought it would be. I'm still reading it, at least.

As for that cover - wow! Very nice stuff.
I've always like Cliff Robinson's work, in occasional doses.

Does anyone know what's replacing Judge Death next month?

- Trout

Smiley

Fe'ar and Mor'tis

Boo and Manky?

GordonR

>>Yes, that's so obviously Judge Fire. Is Anderson so brain-addled that she can't see an obvious plot twist coming?

It's obviously the cumulative brain-sapping effect from all those comas she's been in.

petemaskreplica

"But I had information Satanus was returned to his own time in the Cretaceous Era."

How? did Nemesis stop off in Mega City and have a word in his shell-like? This is just getting silly, isn't it? Quite like the art though, stubbly Dredd aside.

Mortis should be easy to spot, how many blokes with a horses head can there be on Deadworld? :)

2 great tales from Mr Rennie, touching stuff too, you'd better watch it Gordon, or you'll have us suspecting you may not be the very embodiement of evil after all ;)

Death: unexpected ending. But I just don't believe that's really the end of it.

Good Meg, has the edge over the prog at the moment.