Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 May, 2017, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 18 May, 2017, 11:53:31 AMWhereas I can't imagine how all this would ever pretend to fit between the flashback sequences in The Menagerie and Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Wizards Organians did it.  BOSH.

Better that than Riker/Troi smooching on the holodeck, I suppose.

Goaty

Eh? Just found out that Starship in the trailer is USS Shenzhou! So that is the start of the series into USS Discovery...?

The Legendary Shark

It could be set in an alternate timeline stemming from the Mirror Universe's Empress Sato using a transdimensional discombobulation array stolen from a slashwarped Borg Hexagon from the Rorrim Tfir (caused by the implosion of the Vulcan bomber T'Flatcap as it tried to traverse the Tickled Nebula during an ion storm) to capture a supersymmetrical anti-protonic dark matter shadow version of Spock's spinnyship which she uses to realign the temporal stackflow of the local spacetime web in order to, by either accident or design, cause an insular yet deeplinked holographically perfect copy of a completely unique Trek continuum.

But probably not - that would just be too obvious.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 May, 2017, 09:32:06 PM
But probably not - that would just be too obvious.

Too creative, more like. You've probably already put more work into that than the show's creators have.

The Legendary Shark

Heh. Childsplay for any acolyte of The Mighty One's magnificent organ!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

I  like the suggestion that Burnham is either half Vulcan or raised on Vulcan which has left her with 'issues' perhaps a slight inferiority complex. The logical, Vulcan culture she appears to have been raised in is going to come into conflict with the emotional, Human part of her nature so you've got an internal conflict within the lead which sounds intriguing. She does get angry about her Captains refusal to attack an enemy because 'the Federation doesn't fire first' which might point to a more hard Trek away from the TOS and TNG 's more 'live and let live' philosophy. Still, one promo is hardly a lot to judge an entire series on but it looks interesting and  I'll reserve judgement till I've seen a few episodes.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Tiplodocus

I liked the look of it. Took me a while to recognise it was her from Walking Dead. Michelle Yeoh is always a win.

But while it looked like something that would have been universally feted ten years ago, it might already look dated.

But like everyone says "Not much to go on". So I'll reserve judgement and because it's Star Trek, even if I don't like It, I'll watch it and secretly love it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

The cleverest thing (or the most desperate, only time will tell) about that trailer is what it doesn't show us, i.e. the titular ship, her captain or (presumably) most of her crew: this is either a good sign, or a very bad one. 

I too like the idea of a human kid raised on Vulcan as our PoV character.  Up 'til my kids got me back on the Trek, I'd have said enough with the Vulcans already - but we're settling into Voyager's fourth season at the moment and Tuvok, probably the franchise's most vanilla main-character Vulcan (i.e. not half-human, half-Romulan, half-traitor or half-dressed, or even shacked up with a series of shiksas), continues to charm.  In fact, he's begun to sneak into contention in my Fantasy Bridge Crew*, wrassling with Odo for the Security Chief/Tactical slot (Chekov, Yar, Worf, Eddington and Reed were all pretty hopeless, let's face it).

There's probably still a fair bit of mileage left in the whole idea of logic and rationality v. emotion and instinct, especially in these dark days. 

*Admit it, you all have one.

The Legendary Shark

I think Tuvok is an excellent character. I thought it was brilliant that he knew about all the many different types of love and could name them all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

"My logic has not prepared me for these feelings" is such a cliche, I'm sure the drive to be new and fresh and the reputed 100 million dolla budget will stretch to buying a new trope.

TordelBack

I dunno, I think established tropes is what you pay your licence fees for.

What works with Tuvok is that he functions perfectly well as a Vulcan - no emotion chip, sexy antibacterial gel, huge norks or magic flowers necessary to make him a whole person: although as the missus asks on a regular basis, is loyalty an emotion?  'Cos it certainly seems to override his logic.

Goaty

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 May, 2017, 01:11:08 PM
What works with Tuvok is that he functions perfectly well as a Vulcan - no emotion chip, sexy antibacterial gel, huge norks or magic flowers necessary to make him a whole person: although as the missus asks on a regular basis, is loyalty an emotion?  'Cos it certainly seems to override his logic.

Maybe it cos he ain't found a shit?

Dreddzilla

If you are on Facebook I seriously recommend the Midnights Edge page for all the latest STD news. https://www.facebook.com/groups/midnightsedge/?fref=nf
And long story short STD could not be a more appropriate abbreviation. No one really wants to touch this series, especially advertisers or even merchandise companies!  :lol:
This series is essentially in meltdown mode.

Professor Bear

Trekkies love two things: Star Trek, and talking shit about Star Trek*.  If they didn't care for the former, they wouldn't do the latter.

Check out the nightmare production that was TNG season 1 and imagine if social media as we know it now had been around in 1987.  Even if the worst comes to pass and Discovery is dreadful, there's only one season of it to endure and everything will wrap up at the end - think of it as an experiment, or perhaps consider just not watching it.

* Long before hate watching and/or ironic enjoyment was a mainstream thing, Trek had the "A Nitpicker's Guide To" series of books that shit on every episode of every version of Trek.

Tony Angelino

I'm not a Trekkie but can enjoy some of the movies. I usually find most of the TV shows a bit slow moving.

The one thing that puzzles me though is why do they not set a series that post dates Voyager or Deep Space 9? Why is this series and the recent films back in the past of the Star Trek Universe?