Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

You mean the numbnuts never noticed that Picard's french?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 July, 2017, 05:35:37 PM
You mean the numbnuts never noticed that Picard's french?

In fairness nor did @SirPatStew...

IAMTHESYSTEM

The trouble with the projected Khan series is we know what occurs. Ceti Alpha 6 explodes knocking Ceti Alpha 5 onto a less stable orbit, and the result is a desert hell world. There was even an IDW Comic written to cover this period so here's a link below. Khan's Earth years and his rise to power sound more promising for a TV series. 

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product-category/star-trek/star-trek-star-trek-khan-ruling-in-hell/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JLC

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 31 July, 2017, 03:46:32 PM
Is anyone really demanding a KHAN series?
No. & it sounds even worse than Discovery. Star Trek needs to stop looking to the past & do something new. Move forward, where no Star Trek show has (boldly or otherwise) gone before...

The Legendary Shark

Yes, I agree. While I enjoyed Enterprise and the latest films, Star Trek is all about the future, moving forward and striving for a better world. As a species we seem to have been going backwards, or at least back-pedalling, for a while now and it's high time we got back on track. I want the next series to be set after TNG, DS9 and VOY - even if only to allow the Patrick Stewarts of this world to show up in liver-spotted prosthetics from time to time. I want Star Trek: Intergalactic!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

I liked the original idea of Discovery (or maybe Discovery was just the first installment of this) to set each series in different time periods, assuming each progresses onwards.

Then they seem to have junked that... Understandable they would need to see how the first series does before commissioning others, but I get the impression that future series (should they be made) will be about the same ship and crew. No doubt that's cheaper when considering sets, etc, but...

I'm still hopeful it will be enjoyable, anyway. I'll give it a chance.

Dreddzilla

It's confirmed STD is it's own continuity not related to Prime.  http://deadline.com/2017/08/ep-alex-kurtzman-explains-initial-delay-in-air-date-with-star-trek-discovery-tca-1202139794/

I guess CBS realized the jig was up.
It probably dosen't help that the latest rumor going around is Spock dosen't even exist in this series timeline.

Professor Bear

You'd think if anyone should have known that lying to your potential audience ahead of time was a bad idea, it was the guy who wrote and produced Star Trek Into Darkness - its underperformance is laid at the feet of the decision to lie to the audience ahead of time about Khan being in it: leaving aside casual moviegoers who flat-out wouldn't care, those who didn't like the idea would be annoyed when they found out, while those in favor of the idea wouldn't have had the film's millions of dollars of marketing targeted towards them in order to get them into cinemas in the first place.

Of course, that's just a context-specific example of what you shouldn't do to the Trek audience to lose them, I imagine that "don't lie to your audience/investors" is probably just good advice in general.

JLC

Goaty

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JLC on 02 August, 2017, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 02 August, 2017, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: JLC on 02 August, 2017, 08:34:18 PM
Sarek's foster daughter?!? FFS!

What the problem?
Silly idea.

To assume that an advanced race would not countenance foster children is illogical. Don't forget also that Sybok was the firstborn son of the Vulcan ambassador Sarek and a Vulcan princess, and was the elder half-brother of Starfleet officer Spock, which wasn't silly at all...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JLC

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 August, 2017, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: JLC on 02 August, 2017, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 02 August, 2017, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: JLC on 02 August, 2017, 08:34:18 PM
Sarek's foster daughter?!? FFS!

What the problem?
Silly idea.

To assume that an advanced race would not countenance foster children is illogical. Don't forget also that Sybok was the firstborn son of the Vulcan ambassador Sarek and a Vulcan princess, and was the elder half-brother of Starfleet officer Spock, which wasn't silly at all...
A human raised by Vulcan's is an interesting idea. To make the foster father Sarek is silly, a poor attempt at nostalgia. Enough with the references to classic Trek! MOVE ON!

As for Sybok...

Dreddzilla

von Boom

They had a hard enough time explaining TOS Klingons in NG/DS9/Voy. How are they going to account for these Klingons I wonder?