dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tjm86

Robin Low

Quote from: Smith on 26 September, 2017, 11:39:40 AM
What,no love for DS9?

Plenty here, but I was sorry that Enterprise was cancelled, so what do I know.

Regards,

Robin

Smith

TordelBack

Quote from: Robin Low on 26 September, 2017, 08:04:56 PM
...I was sorry that Enterprise was cancelled, so what do I know.

Surely we were all sorry to see that?  It meant a dozen years with no new TV Trek, which was a Bad Thing by anyone's standards.  It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

Speaking of Enterprise, has anyone had a go at Discovery's James Bond title sequence yet? 

blackmocco

DS9 has my favorite ever Trek pilot. Love that one. Discovery's tone didn't seem too removed from that.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

TordelBack

Quote from: blackmocco on 26 September, 2017, 08:16:36 PM
DS9 has my favorite ever Trek pilot. Love that one. Discovery's tone didn't seem too removed from that.

DS9's 'Emissary' is excellent, easily the best of all the Trek pilots (although possibly not if you count 'The Cage', which was truly great, but proved to be a dead end).  But I agree, 'Vulcan Hello' is right up there.  Brisk introduction to distinctive characters with well-defined relationships, introduction of an alien threat and backdrop, moral complexities spun out of the situation, establishing a visual identity.  Good stuff.

Robin Low

Quote from: Smith on 26 September, 2017, 08:14:15 PM
Hey,DS9 is my favorite ST series. :)

It's probably the best, too. Plenty of faults can be found with it, but there are a lot of individual episodes that are very good science fiction short stories in their own right.  And then you have stuff like In the Pale Moonlight, which perhaps doesn't mean much out of context or to the casual viewer, but in context is one hell of an episode.

But there was a lot of good stuff in Enterprise too. And I'll grudgingly admit that even Voyager had one good episode. But only one.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 September, 2017, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 26 September, 2017, 08:04:56 PM
...I was sorry that Enterprise was cancelled, so what do I know.

Surely we were all sorry to see that?  It meant a dozen years with no new TV Trek, which was a Bad Thing by anyone's standards.  It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

I think there are a few of us, but there was I time when I thought I was the lone voice.

The best thing about the reboot movies was that they left the much-maligned Enterprise as the only remaining part of established continuity, which still amuses me.

Regards,

Robin

Smith

Maybe thats an unpopular opinion here,but I liked Voyager more then Enterprise.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 26 September, 2017, 08:38:04 PM
Maybe thats an unpopular opinion here,but I liked Voyager more then Enterprise.

Me too, although I'd never have thought that before our current re-watch of the former: some amazingly good episodes, and long stretches of general solidity (although Janeway's growing incompetence through the end of Season 4 and into Season 5 is proving a puzzler). But I should be starting a serious rewatch of Enterprise before the end of the year, so that ranking may change!

blackmocco

Voyager's problem, for me anyway, is that it had the potential to be the greatest, purest version of the template. A starship, crewed by two rival factions forced to work together, stranded in unexplored deep space striving to get home. I had hoped when I heard the premise that by the end of seven seasons, we'd have had a crew and ship completely altered by their journey home. Stolen borrowed alien engine nacelles, alien stragglers they'd take on board that weren't fucking annoying, and most importantly - some real, hardcore drama.

Instead we got to the end of the pilot and everyone was friends (more or less), we'd shit villains, then we got the Borg to boost ratings. Missed opportunity. It and Enterprise pissed away their promise and my goodwill.

Orville is what it is, but I've no desire to see a Trek show fashioned in that style anymore. I really, really hoped Discovery would take the show and give it a kick in the ass and so far, even if it's not perfect, I'm happy with the potential.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Robin Low

The irony is I remember working my way through rental copies of Voyager from the local Blockbuster back in 1996 and really rather liking it. At some point, I decided it was rubbish. The problem may have been the characters. Aside from the doctor, they're all utterly tedious. There are problem characters in most Trek, but in Voyager they're particularly boring. I mean, aside from Seven of Nine, which of them could you tolerate being stuck in a turbo lift with for a couple of hours?

Regards,

Robin

Smith

@blackmocco
Hard to argue with a lot of that.Voyager had a rocky start,but it did get better later on.Doctors arc was pretty good.Tuvok was the best Vulcan ever.Or second best,at least.Chakotay was cool.There is Seven of Nine ofc.
But yeah,for a crew fighting for suvival,it was a bit too clean.And yes,Kazons always top the "Worst ST villains" lists.And Borg decayed as a threat pretty fast.
Those hunter guys were decent villains.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo