Main Menu

Prog 1608: Knot's Landing

Started by Leigh S, 10 October, 2008, 12:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Not a full review, as I only read the bits that interested me in Nostalgia - gone are the days when I would have bought this and the new Meg that they also had there (another Rufus Tank Girl cover) in full knowledge that postie would bring a duplicate tomorrow.....though I'm itching to see how Ratfink finishes!

Cover - Lobster random by Critchlow

Dredd - to all those looking forward to a return of an old friend, he is indeed here - with Cliff Robinson on the art, making it two old friends.  Thank Grud for Wagner I says, as this really saves the prog for me after a couple of issues that I actually forgot I'd partially read!

Terror Tale - art looks pretty nice - reminds me of staz Johnson IIRC.  didnt get chance to read it though!

Lobster - Maybe if I was taking teh ssame exposition drugs as Lob I'd be enjoying this, but I've lost track of it again - Not that I dont mind having to work at a comic strip if its grabbed my attention, but Random seems too concerned with its own backstory too often.  I dont really care about his demon derived lobster claws tbh - that was the point where i kinda switched off from the strip

Stalag  -some backgrounds!  Well, some trees.  Theres a big monster too and various not very unexpected revelations.  The artist really needs to buy a cheap digital camra and go and look how Chris Weston uses phot ref to create a story that doesnt look particularly overly reffed.

Presumably theres a 5th story... erm... maybe I should have bought it after all!

Overall,  a weak prog for me, hence an appropriately weak standard of reviewing!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Got mine thisAM, friendly Postie handed it to me as I sped orf to work.

Cover: Big Red one would have been a better tag than a reference to an obscure 80's soap...or maybe not.

Great Dredd, yet again MC1 people are the story and Old Stoney Pus the punchline, couple of LOL as well. Huzzah!

Terror Tales: Jings almost a double of one I was working on! except mine were dog/cat people, think this one worked better, hats orf to the man!

Randan Lobby: all becomes kinda clear, some  great Spurrier words and some torture too

Stagbeetle 666: charging along, but a bit stilted and flat at times but i'm hanging in there to see the outcome

Red Peas: The fighty bity has come, frosty bit was difficult to see at first but it looks like we're in for a ride and a half over the coming weeks

letters page! hazzah! only three letters and a coupon, what about all those genius missives I've plastered thargy with?

Over all a cracking prog, much fun for us kiddies!
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Proudhuff"Stagbeetle 666

Now there's a strip I want to read!
@jamesfeistdraws

fireandforget

Gah, mine hasn't come yet - 1607 only arrived on Thursday!

Dandontdare

Mine's not arrived yet  - Saturday is the norm, and last week's came on Friday, but nowt today. Boo  :cry:

Darren Stephens

Early thrills this morning...got me prog too, hehe.

Cover: Great cover. Monsters allways sell comics! Probably.

Dredd : Rather excellent Dredd, with Wagner back on the writing duties. Cliff Robinsons work is beyond awesomeness.

Terror Tales: Not a bad one. Nice art, but the twist was kinda obvious.

Lobster : Great as usual. Crazzzy story, with some lovely artwork. Those reds on the first page are lovely.

Stalag 666: A slightly better episode this week, but still by no means great. Im kinda warming to it...a bit.

Red Peas: Some great action this week. Top stuff.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Mardroid

Cover-  Nice big monster.

Dredd- Great one off. [spoiler]I presume this guy has appeared before?
"I preferred you when you had a sunny disposition. You were a pleasure to bust." Hee hee.[/spoiler]

Future Shock: Great tale! Twist was a bit predictable, but it wasn't bad for that.[spoiler]Oh... and nice boobies. Does that make me shallow?[/spoiler]

Lobster Random: Interesting, although I have mixed feelings about it.[spoiler]I like the supernatural (if this qualifies. Demons could just be another kind of extradimensional alien from a sci-fi point of view after all.) but this is a bit too weird.  I liked the repossession gag, (although I had to think back to The Vort to get what the 'nervegear biobugger' was supposed to be. (The organic scanning equipment used by the soldiers right?)  

Raises some interesting questions too: Does the demon link with  Lob's past I wonder, what with the claws etc?  Did the scientists that created him and the other genetic super-soldiers draw genetic material from that creature, I wonder? And how do the spirits of the dead like the T-Rex man become subservient to it?  Or was it just a form a demon pulled from his mind, taking on the guise as it were? Overall good though.[/spoiler]

Stalag 666: Nice continuation. Fearsome monster. [spoiler]Interesting unveiling. Overreaction of main character in my opinion, but emotions are high no doubt.[/spoiler]

Red Seas:  I loved this episode! Pirates with super-powers... nice. [spoiler]By the way, can't the captain turn into a big metal thing T1000 type thing too or is that another character? I remember a character doing that in the WW2 strip.[/spoiler]

Overall a great prog.

Toni Scandella

Quote from: "Mardroid"Cover-  Nice big monster.

"I preferred you when you had a sunny disposition. You were a pleasure to bust." Hee hee.[/spoiler]

Yes he has - [spoiler]It Pays to Be Mental - (Prog 468)[/spoiler] and [spoiler]It Still pays to be Mental (Prog 657).  I also preferred him with his sunny disposition :)[/spoiler]

Matt Timson

Stalag 666:[spoiler]If Mother doesn't turn out to be the traitor, I'll eat my flip-flops...[/spoiler]
Pffft...

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: "Mardroid"Cover-  Nice big monster.

Future Shock: Great tale! Twist was a bit predictable, but it wasn't bad for that.[spoiler]Oh... and nice boobies. Does that make me shallow?[/spoiler]

Lobster Random: Interesting, although I have mixed feelings about it.[spoiler]I like the supernatural (if this qualifies. Demons could just be another kind of extradimensional alien from a sci-fi point of view after all.) but this is a bit too weird.  I liked the repossession gag, (although I had to think back to The Vort to get what the 'nervegear biobugger' was supposed to be. (The organic scanning equipment used by the soldiers right?)  

Raises some interesting questions too: Does the demon link with  Lob's past I wonder, what with the claws etc?  Did the scientists that created him and the other genetic super-soldiers draw genetic material from that creature, I wonder? And how do the spirits of the dead like the T-Rex man become subservient to it?  Or was it just a form a demon pulled from his mind, taking on the guise as it were? Overall good though.[/spoiler]

Stalag 666: Nice continuation. Fearsome monster. [spoiler]Interesting unveiling. Overreaction of main character in my opinion, but emotions are high no doubt.[/spoiler]

Red Seas:  I loved this episode! Pirates with super-powers... nice. [spoiler]By the way, can't the captain turn into a big metal thing T1000 type thing too or is that another character? I remember a character doing that in the WW2 strip.[/spoiler]

Overall a great prog.

That story you're thinking of is set after this one. So Dancer will one day end up that way, and we may see how, but not yet.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"
Quote from: "Mardroid"Red Seas:  I loved this episode! Pirates with super-powers... nice. [spoiler]By the way, can't the captain turn into a big metal thing T1000 type thing too or is that another character? I remember a character doing that in the WW2 strip.[/spoiler]

That story you're thinking of is set after this one. So Dancer will one day end up that way, and we may see how, but not yet.

Except it wasn't Jack Dancer, it was Jim Salt, and we already saw how he ended up that way - a series of two before the WWII one, in fact.

Do keep up, people!
@jamesfeistdraws

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Great Stuff.

Dredd: Nothing spectacular but Wagner one-offs are always appreciated. Cliff is reliable as ever. Very Good Stuff.

Terror Tale: Fairly pedestrian. Was a bit surprised at the twist but it still felt run-of-the-mill. At least it has boobs. OK Stuff.

Lob: Bit too talky this week, and the solution to the torture seemed a bit DEMy, but still as fun as ever. This should be made into a regular strip. Very Good Stuff.

Stalag 6666666666666666666666666666: Continues to be possibly the blandest thrill in years, even with a giant monster thing. There doesn't seem to be any weight behind the art in the hyperviolence scenes. Bad Stuff.

Red Seas: Well at least there's fighting. Not as boring as Stickleback but not far off. OK Stuff.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kerrin

Cover:- That's a big one eyed lobster. No mistaking it, I've got one myself.

Dredd:- Pure unbridled joy. More Mega City mentalists would go a long way to ensuring my continued support for this strip. Those unanchored in the perilous seas of reality, made rudderless by the crashing tempest of Mega City life are the truest porthole into the dystopian actualities of the future. By their Futsies,Simps and Jimps shall ye know them. My sun is shining, la la la.

Terror Tales:- OH MON DIEU!  Exactly Monsieur Grenouille. Look what your promiscuous French ways get you eh? Tsk.

Lobster Random:- Guh? Can't help thinking that this is leading up to something. But what the devilment that is, I have now given up trying to fathom. Ignorance is bliss, one hopes.

Stalag 666:- I was routing for the monster. Curses! I mean speared with a handily presharpened branch, what a waste of a whopping great earwig  creature that could have quite easily devoured four puny humans. Bah!

Red Seas:- Let the ass whupping commence. Yippee!

Good prog.

Mardroid

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"
Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"Except it wasn't Jack Dancer, it was Jim Salt, and we already saw how he ended up that way - a series of two before the WWII one, in fact.

Yes that's what I thought (although that episode was before my time with the prog.)