Main Menu

Prog 1611: something about talking. possibly

Started by Leigh S, 31 October, 2008, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Wrap around Clint Langley cover is an oddity - good to see all that material from the ABC Warriors novels seems to be permeating the strip, as it is enjoyably bonkers Mills at his finest.

Dredd is not, as I suspected a Wagner mutie storyline, but happily, it is an Al Ewing mutie storyline, and so far (this being a multi-parter) a very intriguing one with a nice twist applied.

Nick Dyer returns on the future shock

Havent read Ampney Crucis or the ABCs, but looking nice artwise.

radiator

QuoteDredd is not, as I suspected a Wagner mutie storyline, but happily, it is an Al Ewing mutie storyline, and so far (this being a multi-parter) a very intriguing one with a nice twist applied.

Interesting. I've long thought that it would be a good idea to have other writers contribute to ongoing storylines in the main Dredd continuity, as it seems up to now there's a very clear line between Wagner and non-Wagner. It would also be cool if current events in the main Dredd strip were referenced more in spin off strips like Low Life etc - to help create the illusion of a consistent world. Not at the expense of the story - I'm not talking Marvel or DC levels of complexity!

Is it Si Fraser on Dredd art?

Roger Godpleton

QuoteHavent read Ampney Crucis or the ABCs, but looking nice artwise.

Did you spot any cocks?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Leigh S

It is indeed Si Fraser on the Dredd

no show from the Si Davis on his signature appendage, but I wont deny the possibilty I overlooked a hidden or not that hidden one!

Grant Goggans

radiator

Pete Wells

Man, after a pretty naff few weeks that was an excellent prog and next weeks looks to be even better!

Cover - Meh. I heart leapt when I read that I was getting a wrap around Langley ABCs cover but this has left me underwhelmed. I want the Warriors, dammit!

Dredd - Hooray! Conversely, my heart sank when I found out that the Mutie-themed Dredd wasn't going to be Wagner (much as I enjoy Al's Dredds) but it's a cracking story. Nice to see some departmental friction between Oldham and Dredd, let's hope the young upstart gets put in his place next week!

Future Shock - Really good anti-creationism rant. I like Dyers art too - his version of Piccadilly Circus was great!

Stalag 666 - Good stuff, reminiscent to Dredd's crucifixion in the Jonni Kiss tale. I really hope it works out for the POWs and there's not some horrible twist at the end of the tale.

ABC's - Enjoyable episode though it's a bit jarring that this graffiti kick seems to have come out of nowhere. I enjoyed the little Banksy pastiches and that Sturn bloke could be Dredd unmasked!

Ampney Crucis - Great first episode! The bee-dude was horrible, the nightmare was even more horrible and Ampney seems like a likable sort. I've got high hopes for this series already!

Can't wait for Dante next week! Hopefully this will herald a spectacular run in to the end of year prog!

ukdane

I've not checked, but does the Langley wrap-around, add on to the last cover image he did, in anyway?
Wouldn't it be groovy, if Tharg suddenly published a "key-cover", which linked his previous covers into a mega poster
Cheers

-Daney

Pete Wells

Nah it doesn't 'cos Zippo is on both of 'em. Nice idea though!

Mardroid

Cover- Nice art showing a good gag. Not sure the wraparound was really needed though as the back just showed lots of city.
That being said I love the idea of a wraparound cover.

Droid Life- Amusing.

Dredd - Great first episode. Simon Fraser's Judge costumes look rather different to what I'm used, particularly the eagle. Interesting interpretation, mind, but the curved eagle gives it a reclining look, and I think the straighter jutting version looks more militant somehow.

Future Shock -I'm not over keen on the anti-creationism message. Not everyone who believes in creation is necessarily a totalitarian nutjob, but to be  fair, this kind of sci-fi story is supposed to take things to extremes. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable, but that's no doubt my own hang-ups. The important thing is, the story is great, and the twist was a surprise. Job done. . Nick Dyer's art works well in this FS too. [spoiler]I still don't quite get how the little girl got past the scanners though. Then again, technology isn't the city's strong-point.[/spoiler]

Stalag 666 Although not that much happened this episode I found it fairly interesting. [spoiler] Some kind of twist in the storyline would have been nice though as everything seems to got to plan. Then again, we've still got a few episodes to tgo.
Oh and I like the Art. I don't discount what people have said about it (i.e referring to the way hands look etc. I didn't notice but I didn't really go out of my way to check to be honest, but it's doesn't seem bad as some make out. Not to me anyway.

ABC- More zippo stuff. Great art and amusing gag. I particular liked the bit where the henchmen of the main dictator admire the artwork.

Ampney Crucis- One of the goriest pieces I've seen in a while. And it was great. The blue toned art makes me wince a bit at first glance (not due to it being bad, cos it plainly isn't, just something I'm not used to..... yet it works very well for this tale. Great first chapter.

Darren Stephens

Cover : Clint Langley awesomeness.

Dredd : Great stuff. Agree about the Eagles looking a little too 'soft', but other than that, tops.

Future shock : Ok stuff.

Stalag 666 : .....was ok this week. Still cant wait for it to end though. Sorry to all involved, but this is'nt my cuppa at all.  :(
ABCs : Glad its back after the short break. Business as usual, really. I like.

Ampney Crucis: Interesting opening episode to this one. I hated stone island, so i've got my fingers crossed this does'nt dissapoint.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

I, Cosh

I thought this Prog was rotten when I first read it in bed on Saturday morning with a stinking hangover, but I've just given it another go and it's actually quite good.

If the main bloke from Stalag 666 turns out to be on the level, I'll eat my Prog.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

Who rites this week's FS? Is it Alec Worley following up on his previous opus in which we learnt that electronic surveillance is bad and that any body who approves is a bad and evil person.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Proudhuff

Man, after a pretty cracking few weeks that was an disappionting prog ... not too sure why

Cover -  fine, see Scargill get another mention

Dredd - Hooray! it's a cracking story with some nice Dredd/daystick action.

Future Shock - Good stuff, the logicial conclusion of Creationalism... Robot could have been more obvious...

Stalag 666 - not for me, something jars not too sure what.

ABC's - that Sturn bloke could be a certian zombie killer from the 1600s unmasked!

Ampney Crucis - Great first episode! I've got high hopes for this series ! No knob-ly bits yet
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Cover - very poor. Murky stuff that means hardly anything to people who read the comic and even less to casual readers.

Droid Life - An excruciating pun. Almost as good as "A weak Id's a jung crime in poll tactics".

Dredd - Serviceable stuff in both script and art. Nothing leapt out as brilliant or bad but it was fun enough. Actually, I hate it when a character says "I'm touching cloth here, I'm going for a dump" and another says "Dump! By jove, you've got it! The body is hidden at the dump". Does that ever happen in real life? (This isn't a crit of the script by the way, because it happens all the time in films and comics).

Future Shock - great art, poor tale, reasonable twist. It actually might have been better longer!

Stalag 666- continues not to rock my boat in any way shape or form but now we have [spoiler]hallucinations.[/spoiler] For fecks sake.

ABC Warriors - This does not engage me in either script or art. What size are those cone things meant to be? Art seems very flat at times. (And a murky mess). Sorry, I'm sure it's technically brilliant but I just don't think it's good comic art.

Ampney Crucis - Good if decompressed start - I'm sure we could have done that in three pages if we'd tried.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!