Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bear "Bear" McBear (bear) on 09 March, 2015, 01:20:39 PM
I haven't cycled in years, but I always loved those drivers who think they need to accelerate like a motherfucker to overtake someone going 15 miles an hour.

better than those lorry drivers who want to drive 0.1mph faster than the lorry in front and so begin an overtaking manoeuvre that takes several motorway junctions to complete.

Hawkmumbler

Lorrys terrify me. I know that make's me sound like an old woman but as someone who has only just learnt to drive and hate's confrontation, the aforementioned manoeuvres DDD mentions scare the living fuck out of me.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

People who stand and chat right in the doorways of busy public buildings, or worse yet at the top/bottom of busy stairwells, or worse still at the top bottom of escalators. Worse than Hitler.
You may quote me on that.

Steve Green

Quote from: King Pops on 09 March, 2015, 03:46:02 PM
People who stand and chat right in the doorways of busy public buildings, or worse yet at the top/bottom of busy stairwells, or worse still at the top bottom of escalators. Worse than Hitler.

Yepyepyep on the escalators, compounded by trailing bags behind them, meaning you have to step over them to avoid a pileup.

Hawkmumbler

I just say excuse me and if they ignore me I kick it out of the way.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Oh I say Excuse Me a great deal louder than is necessary, it's the fact that they're even there in the first place, chatting at a bottle neck, which earns them a special place in Hell. Right by a doorway into heaven which is blocked by demons gossin'.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 March, 2015, 02:12:24 PM...better than those lorry drivers who want to drive 0.1mph faster than the lorry in front and so begin an overtaking manoeuvre that takes several motorway junctions to complete.

Be fair now, Sharky uses that time to research the melting point of steel and the Bilderberg guest list. It's not like it's wasted!

Dandontdare

Quote from: King Pops on 09 March, 2015, 03:46:02 PM

oh yes indeed this is one of my personal hot-buttons - I work in a busy office and I hate it when someone will be on their way through a door when they'll stop to finish a conversation - either get out or come back in, but don't stand in the friggin doorway chatting you muppet!

On reflection, a great many of my pet peeves, whether it's pedestrians, co-workers lorries, bikes etc involve people just GETTING IN MY WAY in one form or another!  >:(

The Legendary Shark

The majority of lorries these days are fitted with speed limiters, keeping them to around 55 to 57 mph. It's a pain, to be honest, and makes these half-hour overtakes frustratingly common.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 March, 2015, 03:13:21 PM
Lorrys terrify me. I know that make's me sound like an old woman but as someone who has only just learnt to drive and hate's confrontation, the aforementioned manoeuvres DDD mentions scare the living fuck out of me.

I find buses to be worse while im on my bike (I even think about buying a helmet ) our local firm like tailgating cyclists ,there is nowt as scary looking over your shoulder to see a bus filling your field of vision especially on the country road with no where to pull over,one loose stone making me brake one day and its game over!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Rog69

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 March, 2015, 06:57:26 PM
The majority of lorries these days are fitted with speed limiters, keeping them to around 55 to 57 mph. It's a pain, to be honest, and makes these half-hour overtakes frustratingly common.

Its a shame lorries aren't fitted with distance limiters as well, it feels like lorry drivers have collectivity decided that safe stopping distances no longer apply to them. I do a fair amount of miles each week and I'm getting pretty fed up of only being able to see the front grille of a truck just behind my back seat every time I go through a speed restriction or heavy traffic on the motorway.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Grugz on 09 March, 2015, 08:17:23 PM
I find buses to be worse

I have often encountered the hypothesis that bus drivers are the biggest arseholes on the road.  I may even have postulated it myself.

Mardroid

I find buses to be worse while im on my bike (I even think about buying a helmet )
Regardless of buses, get a helmet anyway. Not meaning to be morbid, you may be very thankful for it one day.

radiator

Yeah, get a bike helmet sharpish - it's not worth the risk to not wear one.

If it's good enough for Dredd...

I, Cosh

I'm not a helmet evangelist - I wear one if I'm going out for a proper ride but not to work or the shops - but I hear they can be useful. The one thing that will make any cyclist safer is actually occupying the proper space on the road, being fully in the flow of traffic (and obeying the same rules) rather than hugging the kerb.

Quote from: Bear "Bear" McBear (bear) on 09 March, 2015, 01:20:39 PM
I haven't cycled in years, but I always loved those drivers who think they need to accelerate like a motherfucker to overtake someone going 15 miles an hour.
Conversely, one of my biggest bugbears is the sort of clown who arrives at a junction and immediately proves himself unable to judge the speed of another approaching vehicle but simply assumes that all bicycles are travelling at the top speed of an eight year old child.

I try not to get too tribal about it. There are plenty dicks on bikes and I'm sure I read about one driver who wasn't that bad. It has, however, been genuinely eye-opening to spend some time living in a country where cycling is a mass form of transport.

The range of people you see cycling in Switzerland, and the array of different machines they do it on, is extraordinary. Of course, people still do stupid things and get annoyed at each other but the oppositional, adversarial mentality which prevails on British roads simply doesn't exist here. I assume it's because cycling is so much more common and, therefore, the vast majority of drivers are also likely to cycle at some time too but there is far greater acceptance of and patience with cyclists. It's almost like paradise on two wheels. Or it was until some cunt kicked my bike over and dented my mudguard last night.

Quote from: Bear "Bear" McBear (bear) on 09 March, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
I find buses to be worse
I have often encountered the hypothesis that bus drivers are the biggest arseholes on the road.  I may even have postulated it myself.
Just wait until you both see taxis for the first time.
We never really die.