Main Menu

Who's Wullie?

Started by Proudhuff, 08 October, 2014, 12:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Not a star spotters knob guide, but an aid for understanding Middenface Mcnulty and the Jockward squad on this board:

http://digital.nls.uk/oor-wullie/
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Oor Wullie,
Your Wullie,
A'bodys Wullie.

The last line always made me laugh.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

shaolin_monkey

On the subject of Wullie and McNulty, I'll just repost my wee effirt, y'ken:

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 October, 2014, 02:32:36 PM

Any chance of a regular comic?
I can see it now...."Weekly Shaolin Jimp"

James Stacey

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 October, 2014, 02:59:14 PM

Link Prime wins at the internet.

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 October, 2014, 12:30:15 PM
Not a star spotters knob guide, but an aid for understanding Middenface Mcnulty and the Jockward squad on this board:

Oor Wullie, The Broons, and Glen Michael's Cavalcade * served an important function in the lives of anyone over thirty. There's nothing like the incredulous thrill you experience as a kid the first time a book or telly programme suddenly starts talking to you in your own voice and using your secret familiar vocabulary, instead of the weirdly anonymous means of articulation that proper mediums are supposed to adopt.

Fantoosh and halliracket are new ones on me - they're no' fae Fife, ur they?

* honourable mention for the near-miss of that black haired, punky character in The Filth, who seemed to be talking the same mangled Scots as Alan Moore and Garth Ennis's characters, where some of the vocabulary is right but the vowel sounds and diphthongs appear to have been substituted at random. How can Grant Morrison be Scottish and not be able to do a Scots accent?

Frank

Quote from: Satanist on 08 October, 2014, 12:35:41 PM
Oor Wullie,
Your Wullie,
A'bodys Wullie.

The last line always made me laugh.

My dad used the Oor Wullie annuals to encourage my wee brother to read. He had him reading the strips out loud, and when he got to the legend printed across the top of the strip he solemnly sounded the words out as "Oor ... Wull-ie ... Your ... Wull-ie ... A ... boy's ... wull-ie ...".

shaolin_monkey

I can see it now...."Weekly :lol: Shaolin Jimp"

:lol: :lol: inspired!

Hawkmumbler

I spit me coffee out over that you cheeky git! :lol:

Proudhuff

Quote from: sauchie UKIP on 08 October, 2014, 05:06:26 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 October, 2014, 12:30:15 PM

Oor Wullie, The Broons, and Glen Michael's Cavalcade * served an important function in the lives of anyone over thirty. There's nothing like the incredulous thrill you experience as a kid the first time a book or telly programme suddenly starts talking to you in your own voice and using your secret familiar vocabulary, instead of the weirdly anonymous means of articulation that proper mediums are supposed to adopt.

Fantoosh and halliracket are new ones on me - they're no' fae Fife, ur they?

* honourable mention for the near-miss of that black haired, punky character in The Filth, who seemed to be talking the same mangled Scots as Alan Moore and Garth Ennis's characters, where some of the vocabulary is right but the vowel sounds and diphthongs appear to have been substituted at random. How can Grant Morrison be Scottish and not be able to do a Scots accent?

The problem is my Edinbra version o' a word would be spelt/sounded out different from say Buttmans or Dog Dreevers or indeed yours, however to the Hugh Grant's of this world it all sound baffling.
DDT did a job on me