Main Menu

The Dredd (I am the Law) Mega Top 15 Tournament

Started by broodblik, 05 August, 2020, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

This was very, very hard, and due to the strip having been around for most of my life, it became impossible to differentiate between actual, objective, quality and sheer nostalgia.

However, here are the votes from the Small Blue Jury:

01). The Apocalypse War
02). The Pit
03). Cry of the Werewolf
04). City of the Damned
05). Destiny's Angels
06). Day of Chaos
07). Tour of Duty
08). Necropolis
09). Incubus
10). The Small House
11). Mandroid
12). Mandroid: Instument of War
13). The Cursed Earth
14). The Judge Child
15). Book of the Dead

SBT

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

1. Return of the Assassin
2. The Edgar Case
3. City of the Damned
4. Tour of Duty
5. Block Judge
6. The Day the Law Died
7. Death Aid
8. Cry of the Werewolf
9. Mandroid
10. The Judge Child
11. Block Mania
12. Day of Chaos
13. Necropolis
14. Tale of the Dead Man
15. The Apocalypse War

broodblik

A quick overview was that I initially tough a lot of people would place Day of Chaos quite high up their list and this is not the case. DOC was a great story, but I did not vote for it for the simple reason this was too much. Too much destruction, death, and chaos. It ripped the heart out of MC-1 and the citizens. I felt afterwards this story should not have happened. One thing I always enjoy about MC-1 is the silly wackiness and ridiculous, preposterous characters and stories. DOC removed it. Everything after DOC was just grim on grim on grim. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dandontdare

So SBT has werewolves and vampires in his top 4 - who woulda thunk it!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 August, 2020, 02:48:31 PM
So SBT has werewolves and vampires in his top 4 - who woulda thunk it!

I'd not noticed that! But yes, I do love me some vamps and werewooluffs. All this has done is make me realise how many long form Dredd stories of serious quality we have had over the decades. And how seminal some of them.were when we were wee. How the hell did they get away with The Apocalypse War?

SBT

Greg M.

1: Necropolis
2: The Pit
3: Tale of the Dead Man
4: The Apocalypse War
5: The Cursed Earth
6: Beyond the Call of Duty
7: Tour of Duty
8: Cry of the Werewolf
9: Oz
10: Sector House
11: The Graveyard Shift
12: The Day the Law Died
13: The Scorpion Dance
14: Machine Law
15: Goodnight Kiss

abelardsnazz

Oooh this is difficult. Here goes...

1. Emphatically Evil: The Life and Crimes of PJ Maybe. I think PJ is my favourite Dredd villain so I had to put this at the top.
2. Destiny's Angels. Brilliant call to pair up Owen Krysler and the Angels, memorable Carlos art and some great lines - "We got yer wife, Dredd", "Where's the baldy kid?".
3. Cry of the Werewolf. A stone-cold classic.
4. The Graveyard Shift. A procedural forerunner to The Pit. Wonderful moody art from Ron Smith.
5. Dredd Angel. My first Prog Dredd.
6. Oz. The race itself is exhilarating, and Brendan McCarthy's designs for the birdmen and the Judda are amongst his best.
7. The Apocalypse War. Not much to add to what's already been said, but what a return for Carlos.
8. The Pit. More procedural, with plenty of well-rounded other Judges introduced.
9. Necropolis. Mortis stands out for me in this one.
10. Mandroid. Nate Slaughterhouse is arguably the most sympathetic antagonist for Dredd.
11. The Lion's Den. I'd like to include Michael Carroll's other stories in this arc here also.
12. The Small House. Rob Williams making us rethink everything we know, no mean feat.
13. Trifecta. Clever, clever, clever.
14. Darkside. Because it's John Smith.
15. Day of Chaos. Yes it was a huge game-changer but why shouldn't Wagner upend his creation? Brilliantly plotted, but maybe the Dark Judges were a step too far.

Greg M.

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 06 August, 2020, 06:43:15 PM
Day of Chaos. Yes it was a huge game-changer but why shouldn't Wagner upend his creation? Brilliantly plotted, but maybe the Dark Judges were a step too far.
They're the best bit!

Leigh S

paddykafka

And I thought some of the previous polls were tough!

1   The Cursed Earth
2   The Apocalypse War
3   Tale of the Dead Man
4   Necropolis
5   Judgement Day
6   The Pit
7   Trifecta
8   Cry of the Werewolf
9   Destiny's Angels
10  City of the Damned
11  Mandroid
12  The Graveyard Shift
13  The Small House
14  Emphatically Evil: The Life and Crimes of PJ Maybe
15  Crusade

Richard

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Trying not to think about it too hard (despite the many-thousand word blogs coming up about Dredd epics in my near future), and trying to focus on 'which story am I most excited about the idea of picking up an reading RIGHT NOW...

1. Tale of the Dead Man
2. Oz
3. The Day the Law Died
4. The Cursed Earth
5. Terror
6. Block Mania
7. Mandroid
8. Enceladus
9. Machine Law
10. The Pit
11. The Graveyard Shift
12. Total War
13. Apocalypse War
14. Origins
15. Cry of the Werewolf

Dandontdare

I must admit I haven't had the energy to join in with the frenzy of voting recently (though props to Colin & broodblik for running them, I'm an interested lurker), I couldn't ignore Dredd epics. so hard but my list is:

1. Necropolis
2. Apocalypse War
3. Day of Chaos
Frankly I juggled those three so much they could have ended up in any order - a trinity of world-changing awesomeness

4. The Cursed Earth
5. The Judge Child
6. The Day the Law Died
Because these were the thrills that blew my tiny little mind and branded DREDD onto my brain forever

7. Tour of Duty
8. Block Mania
9. Tale of the Dead Man
Because these epics-in-their-own-right turned out to be just the build-up to my top three

10. Graveyard Shift
11. The Pit
12. Sector House
Justice Dept in all it's multi-character glory. Dredd as a cop rather than a world-saviour

And a final three based on instinctive feels as I scan that list...

13. Origins. Bollox, this should be higher, got too into the trilogy thing
14. Oz - another warm fuzzy nostalgia vote
15. Emphatically Evil - can't omit PJ!

...but I want to pick more! At first I thought 15 was a chore, but Now I've gone all Slaine - I didn't think it too many!

broodblik

Quote from: Leigh S on 06 August, 2020, 09:21:26 PM
Wot no Megazine epics??

With the prog it was quite easy to decide that starting point for example at the end a 7 run story was the entry criteria and what should the meg be pages or appearances ? I also did not want to mix the two since more people read the prog versus the meg. The prog always has the advantage. As Richard said it is hard enough I only have a clear top 3 the others can change at a heartbeat.