Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 09 August, 2017, 04:59:28 PM
David Bellamy was a botanist and TV presenter, and I think Lenny Henry used to do an impersonation of him on TISWAS - although I think TISWAS was a London only programme that most of the country never actually saw.  We were still getting repeats of The Banana Splits in my area (Southern) at the time.
I would have been either in the Anglia region or Midlands and I saw it.
Oh, and both he and Walter's speech impediments aren't lisps, it's a rhotacism.  Lithping characterth turn up eventhually, donth worry.
Yeah, typically, people with (just) a lisp would be able to pronounce rhoticism pretty well, while people with a rhoticism would be able to pronounce lisp, but not the condition that they suffer from.

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 August, 2017, 06:28:38 PM
David Bellamy is immortalised in the prog more memorably when he appeared in Dredd as 'David Baloney' sometime around the 300s.

Bob and Carol and Ted and Ringo, which is also a 1970s cultural reference...

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 August, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
Re the Green Cross Man - I saw Dave Prowse give a talk recently and he says this is his proudest achievement - for 5 years he toured schools as well as doing the TV ads and the campaign halved child road deaths in the UK from 20,000 to 10,000 - for which he was later awarded a MBE by the Queen
Saving the lives of 10,000 children is truly something to be proud of.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 August, 2017, 06:04:32 PM
Well far from it taking me an age to get through these I'm fair pounding through them I'm finding them so enjoyable.

A recent camping trip saw me get to episode 42 and also reminded me of a question that I've been meaning to ask. You often to refer to things people might do if they are following along. Are you aware of people doing that. Has your infectious enjoyment... well infected people? Do you think you've got folks engaged with the Galaxies Greatest?

I'm sure I could do a little work, put some effort in and find out for myself from your various social media platforms... but you can't seriously expect a lazy ass like myself to do things for himself can you... after all I've still got another 15 or so episodes to catch up on...

... You chaps might sometimes have some crazy opinions - one day I will sit you down and if necessary beat your love of the hideous Disaster 1990 out of you... but man I'm loving your work. So before I forget thanks for all the fun times... as you American types seem to say... a LOT!

I don't know how many (if any) new fans we've brought to the table. It can admittedly be a little difficult to actually follow along if you haven't managed to acquire copies of the comics somewhere. One thing we've just started doing are collections based around various graphic novel collections that can be purchased more easily. So far almost all of the people I've heard from have been old fans listening for nostalgia purposes, which is perfectly fine, imo. That said, we certainly appreciate being suggested to other people, we're still a growing podcast and every listener is great!

Also, while certainly not a top thrill, Disaster 1990 isn't THAT bad! It's a mid-level thrill and an action sequel in the purest sense (like Die Hard vs Die Hard 2). But memories of truly crappy thrills combined with fond memories of Invasion definitely made me give it a easy time.

Quote from: sheridan on 14 August, 2017, 08:41:45 PM
Re the Green Cross Man - I saw Dave Prowse give a talk recently and he says this is his proudest achievement - for 5 years he toured schools as well as doing the TV ads and the campaign halved child road deaths in the UK from 20,000 to 10,000 - for which he was later awarded a MBE by the Queen

Definitely agree!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 15 August, 2017, 12:24:06 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 14 August, 2017, 08:41:45 PM

Definitely agree!

Of course, when I met him I was just disappointed that he wasn't dressed like Darth Vader.  And when I took his autograph home I compared it with the DV one I'd gotten in a toy shop a few years earlier and noted that the "Da"s in "Darth" and "Dave" did not match up (still got both of them somewhere, side by side in the pages of a book).

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 August, 2017, 05:31:53 PM
+++Spacespinner 2000 educational supplement+++

I'd mistakenly assumed teddy boys were solely influenced by 50s US Rock music, but it seems,  that the name stems from an Edwardian influence (shortened to Teddy), but then adopted aspects from the US.

http://www.edwardianteddyboy.com/page2.htm

Wait, so as well as never getting glam rock, prog rock, punk, post punk, New Wave, New Romantic or the Ska/2-Tone movement, the US never got the early 80s Rockabilly Revival either? What else is there?!?
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 14 August, 2017, 08:39:29 PM
I would have been either in the Anglia region or Midlands and I saw it.

Yes, it looks like it was actually on in my area after all and I just never watched it (it does look pretty tedious, to be honest).  I don't recall watching Swap Shop, either - frankly, Noel Edmonds has always given me the creeps.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 15 August, 2017, 02:16:18 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 14 August, 2017, 05:31:53 PM

I'd mistakenly assumed teddy boys were solely influenced by 50s US Rock music, but it seems,  that the name stems from an Edwardian influence (shortened to Teddy), but then adopted aspects from the US.

http://www.edwardianteddyboy.com/page2.htm

Wait, so as well as never getting glam rock, prog rock, punk, post punk, New Wave, New Romantic or the Ska/2-Tone movement, the US never got the early 80s Rockabilly Revival either? What else is there?!?

I'm not sure what we did and didn't get! I have trouble with this early 80s nostalgia because I was a baby during it! Definitely don't mistake my half-assed research for evidence of larger trends :D
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

The world's most wanted polar bear is on the loose in Shako, the second in our series of Space Spinner Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This week we head to frozen north and the dawn of 2000AD as murderous bear Shako evades and destroys everything the CIA can throw at him! Listen to his adventures, and learn why Shako makes King Kong look like a pet chimp!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode, and the collection episodes in general!

WhizzBang

Wot no Invasion?

Great stuff from Shako, and you guys really have a fresh perspective on this. I haven't read it and don't have access to it but I had alwats assumed it was a bit of a damp squib, seeing as though it wasn't considered good enough for the launch lineup.

The Legendary Shark

[shameless self-promotion dept]If you like polar bears and you like hyper-powered secret agents, get yourself a copy of Issue 22 of Zarjaz, the 2000AD fanzine, and marvel at the M.A.C.H. 1 - Shako crossover![/shameless self-promotion dept]
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

We moved Invasion back a bit because I'm also talking about it on the Mega City Bookclub podcast, and thought it would be fun to make the week of September 10th Invasion Week!

Also, I'd definitely consider Shako a forgotten classic, despite its reputation!

Bolt-01

Heck, Shark- we've got much more Polar Bear action than just Zarjaz #22

Shop Link, Contents link

We also have:

SHAKO- Snack Attack by Richmond Clements and Bryan Coyle

Also- Judge Dredd- The Right to arm Bears Pdf link by Lee Robson and Bryan Coyle...

I see a pattern here.

The Legendary Shark

Woo-hoo!

Or should I say, ggrraaaargghh!!!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

This is important information that I am excited to act upon! SHAKO 4 EVA