Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

I stand by my regional spelling!  :lol:
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Andy B

Loving this podcast, and rereading all the stuff you guys are talking about.

Thanks!

SpaceSpinner2000

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling sixtieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 193-197 of 2000 AD, covering January of 1981. Join us as we meet some old friends as the Fink comes to Mega-City One, learn the history of street football and the Mean Area, beat some bad boys with Strontium dog, and melt down with...Return to Armageddon?

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Lobo Baggins

It's possible that the second Dredd tale in prog 195 is there because Dredd himself doesn't actually appear in part three of The Fink, and they might have felt the need to add another one because the comic is now called '2000 AD featuring Judge Dredd'...

It does look a bit of a rush job.

It is a reasonably accurate depiction of Southampton in Mean Arena, albeit Southampton from circa 1979.  It had been almost completely levelled by bombing during the second world war, and had been rebuilt in a hideous Brutalist style throughout the sixties and seventies - however, they spent the eighties and nineties systematically demolishing it all again so it doesn't remotely look like that any more.  There's also no giant stone memorial to Kevin Keegan (so far).
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Leigh S

Ah - prog 195 was my first regular prog! Looking forward to this one!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 04 September, 2017, 04:36:50 PM
It's possible that the second Dredd tale in prog 195 is there because Dredd himself doesn't actually appear in part three of The Fink, and they might have felt the need to add another one because the comic is now called '2000 AD featuring Judge Dredd'...

It does look a bit of a rush job.

It is a reasonably accurate depiction of Southampton in Mean Arena, albeit Southampton from circa 1979.  It had been almost completely levelled by bombing during the second world war, and had been rebuilt in a hideous Brutalist style throughout the sixties and seventies - however, they spent the eighties and nineties systematically demolishing it all again so it doesn't remotely look like that any more.  There's also no giant stone memorial to Kevin Keegan (so far).

That's an interesting theory about the extra Dredd comic in 195. It's art isn't helped by the fact that it's one of the first times Gibson had drawn for Dredd in the progs and it opens with a fish-eye view of him. Like I say in the show, that image especially looks like a parody of a McMahon Dredd.

The Southampton stuff is interesting, I assumed it was just "generic urban dystopia" like the warehouse/abandoned factory  districts that most superhero fights take place in.

Quote from: Leigh S on 04 September, 2017, 04:38:02 PM
Ah - prog 195 was my first regular prog! Looking forward to this one!

I hope you think we do it justice!

I also want to say that I am on the edge of my seat for our 1981 coverage, there's so much awesome stuff happening in the progs this year, as well as a bunch of really great show milestones!

SpaceSpinner2000

Spread the Word! Hammerstein and his team of meknificent robots arrive on Mars in the fourth in our series of Space Spinner Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This week we'll roll out with the ABC Warriors, going from the end of the Volgan War to the fontiers of the red planet as an awesome robot team is assembled and then begins it's super awesome mission! The story of the ABC Warriors is truly classic 2000AD and must be experienced. Once you do you too will be ready to SPREAD THE WORD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Buttonman

Late to the party and slowly catching up - I listen to then while out running and the miles just slip away. After some initial reservations I've even started to like the air horn and Fox saying 'Snap' all the time.

I like the detailed synopses of stories I can barely remember and visualizing the old strips whilst hearing your mad keen descriptions.

You should spend more time analyzing the letters however. The letters are important. I have a database.

Overall great stuff and thanks for your continued efforts.

Tiny error : You have three or four episodes on iTunes that say the music is 'Xanadu' by ELO - I use the songs as a point of reference to delete the ones I have listened to off my ipod - the music on the actual episode is different from Xanadu but I guess that's just the perils of cut and paste! Good tune though!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Buttonman on 09 September, 2017, 09:16:38 AM
Late to the party and slowly catching up - I listen to then while out running and the miles just slip away. After some initial reservations I've even started to like the air horn and Fox saying 'Snap' all the time.

I like the detailed synopses of stories I can barely remember and visualizing the old strips whilst hearing your mad keen descriptions.

You should spend more time analyzing the letters however. The letters are important. I have a database.

Overall great stuff and thanks for your continued efforts.

Tiny error : You have three or four episodes on iTunes that say the music is 'Xanadu' by ELO - I use the songs as a point of reference to delete the ones I have listened to off my ipod - the music on the actual episode is different from Xanadu but I guess that's just the perils of cut and paste! Good tune though!

We all have our little storytelling quirks! If you check out our social media feeds I try to post some art from all the thrills we cover, just to help remind folks of the excellent visuals!

It's a hard balance talking about the input pages, I agree that they are important and worth discussing, but in our current timeline it's often two pages of letters and the show is already getting longer and longer. I'm trying to compromise by talking about at least one letter specifically per prog and trying to summarize the rest.

Also that's a great catch about Xanadu showing up everywhere, I think I've caught them all and fixed it. We're all imperfect people, except for Tharg, who isn't really a person in the first place!

Steve Green

The music really sets the scene, if only you could have a scratch and sniff card of whatever deranged flavour crisps/ice lollies/racist sweets it would really transport us to the 70s/80s.

I wouldn't mind seeing the odd scan of the reader art, especially the dirty low-down cheatin' tracers...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 September, 2017, 04:15:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the odd scan of the reader art, especially the dirty low-down cheatin' tracers...

we can't be too far away from the shamelessly copied picture of a Beholder from the D&D Monster Manual by A Janes -I was at school with him and it was sooo good when another reader called him out and Tharg denounced him!

Steve Green

Haha, so that was the person behind Tharg and the cheat?

Thankfully, my 2 art contributions weren't traced, although the first one looked pretty much like a lanky yoda in a dress, and the other one was just a desperate attempt to find a Tharg that hadn't been done yet.

I ended up with Tharg the ZX Spectrum... which no doubt earned me a kicking at school.

SpaceSpinner2000

I hate tracers SO MUCH! It's hard with the non-2000AD stuff, determining what's done by a kid that's good at art and what's just traced from another comic or sci-fi book. From what I could put together, Tharg and the Cheater was about this picture of a space pirate from Prog 149

If anyone reading this was published in the nerve center and wants a shout out, let me know! Otherwise I'm just generally on the look out for familiar names (for instance a Warren Ellis, possibly THE Warren Ellis, make s a couple apperances in the Nerve Center in 1981).

I'm thinking of making some best/worst posts for when we reach our one year anniversary next month, and reader art seems like a good topic!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 09 September, 2017, 05:42:08 PM
If anyone reading this was published in the nerve center and wants a shout out, let me know! Otherwise I'm just generally on the look out for familiar names (for instance a Warren Ellis, possibly THE Warren Ellis, make s a couple apperances in the Nerve Center in 1981).

It is THE Warren Ellis, I believe (but it's apparently a different Chris Chibnall who responds to him).  You've already missed a couple of big name Art Droids making their 2000AD début in the Nerve Centre, but keep your eyes open!  You even mention Adrian Salmon (in prog 9 or something) by name without realising he's later converted into a droid.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.