Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and twenty-third episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 395-398 of 2000AD, covering December of 1984. This week the Stainless Steel Rat begins his candidacy, Torquemada gets a new body, Ace quits trucking, we see even more Helltrekker funerals and Dredd fights vampire judges!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

FoxIsntARobot

I have missed so much, and I just, I don't know what anything is anymore. WHAT IS EVERYONE SAYING. AM I POSH OR NOT. HOW DO I KNOW. I FEEL VERY INSECURE ABOUT BRITISH FOOD.

sheridan

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 24 September, 2018, 02:29:52 PM
I have missed so much, and I just, I don't know what anything is anymore. WHAT IS EVERYONE SAYING. AM I POSH OR NOT. HOW DO I KNOW. I FEEL VERY INSECURE ABOUT BRITISH FOOD.

We need NEW BLOOD - join us, Fox...

Leigh S

I suspect that is the idea, Fox - to keep the plebs in their place and identify them more easily by their confusion over what should be a simple set of social rules!

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 24 September, 2018, 02:29:52 PM

Dandontdare

I'm loving Conrad's pronunciation of 'buoy'! :lol:

sheridan

*psst* The lights go out line wasn't quoting Churchill, it was quoting Sir Edward Grey, Foreign Secretary on the outbreak of the Great War - Churchill did riff off it a year before the start of the second world war:
Quote from: Winston ChurchillThe stations of uncensored expression are closing down; the lights are going out; but there is still time for those to whom freedom and parliamentary government mean something, to consult together.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 24 September, 2018, 10:53:25 PM
*psst* The lights go out line wasn't quoting Churchill, it was quoting Sir Edward Grey, Foreign Secretary on the outbreak of the Great War - Churchill did riff off it a year before the start of the second world war:
Quote from: Winston ChurchillThe stations of uncensored expression are closing down; the lights are going out; but there is still time for those to whom freedom and parliamentary government mean something, to consult together.

Oh noooooooo!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and twenty fourth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1984. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1984 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we'll give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1985 from both 2000AD and our show!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Echidna

Awesome work, guys! That was loads of fun and the shout-out really made my day. (It's pronounced ekidna, but don't sweat it - me and Ee-mon are pretty forgiving guys ;) )

Re-Action sounds great; I've read some  Battle but nothing from Action so it will be completely new to me.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Echidna on 30 September, 2018, 09:05:30 AM
Awesome work, guys! That was loads of fun and the shout-out really made my day. (It's pronounced ekidna, but don't sweat it - me and Ee-mon are pretty forgiving guys ;) )

Indeed we are.
:P

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and twenty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 399-402 of 2000AD, covering January of 1985. This week the ABC Warriors reunite, the Helltrekkers make the crossing, the Stainless Steel Rat holds a campaign rally, and Dredd and The Mutant see eye-to-eye. Or maybe not!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

WhizzBang

It is a nice coincidence that you and Fox talk about how great Carlos' work is at some length in this podcast, on a sad day for 2000ad fans. It is a fine tribute to him that his work was still gaining fresh admirers after all these years of sheer brilliance.

On the replica Nemesis being beheaded by Torquemada - that was quite a cliff hanger at the time and I remember thinking all week 'how will he get out of this one?'. I was a little bit disappointed by the resolution although it is sign posted with the 'low psychic energy reading' mention early on. I can't remember what explanation I dreamed up and thought was better.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 01 October, 2018, 07:19:04 PM
It is a nice coincidence that you and Fox talk about how great Carlos' work is at some length in this podcast, on a sad day for 2000ad fans. It is a fine tribute to him that his work was still gaining fresh admirers after all these years of sheer brilliance.

On the replica Nemesis being beheaded by Torquemada - that was quite a cliff hanger at the time and I remember thinking all week 'how will he get out of this one?'. I was a little bit disappointed by the resolution although it is sign posted with the 'low psychic energy reading' mention early on. I can't remember what explanation I dreamed up and thought was better.

Naturally both Fox and I are heartbroken by the news, it's so terrible. Ezquerra is such an essential part of the prog it is hard to imagine it without him. But he'll live on in his work, and I'm honored to have a hand in preserving that. Can't wait to get to the next Strontium Dog stories, which are some of my favorite.

Leigh S

Conrad, as I said in the Goodbye Carlos thread, I was listening to Fox and yourself enthusing over Carlos' Stainless Steel Rat art as the news came in - as a child deeply affected by Carlos' work, particularly Strontium Dog (WWJD stands for "What Would Johnny Do?" to me), it has always filled my heart to hear you and Fox rave about the comics that shaped me, and hearign you call out Stront as your favourite in the Spinnies and his brilliant art in SSR really helped me today - thanks to you both!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 27 September, 2018, 05:32:40 AM

In our thrilling hundred and twenty fourth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1984. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1984 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we'll give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1985 from both 2000AD and our show!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

What was that about Sam Fox?  Uncle Sam / Fox?  You know there was a 1980s celeb called Samantha Fox, right?  She released a few records, though don't know if they made it over the pond.  If you feel the urge to google for her, don't do so on a work computer.  You have been warned.

I think one of the Block Mania / Mega Mania boardgames also had a Sam Fox block board...