Main Menu

Podcast : Glenn Fabry & John McCrea

Started by Marbles, 13 August, 2007, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

right at the top...http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?Comic=2000ad&choice=2">

Noisybast

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/1.jpg">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

johnnystress

PS

In Irish 'Mac' means 'Son' so

yasdda yadda yadda

blah blah

Funt Solo

Prog 1, you say?  I have an array of said:

http://l511124.cct.abertay.ac.uk/gfx/orangArray.jpg" />
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ThryllSeekyr

maryanddavid

Itâ??s a comic, Pronounce it how you like, I still call the Cythrons, Corinthians (donâ??t ask)

Anyone who is bored by this post donâ??t read on!

Tordelback posted the following
'I'd then ask them to compare those multitudinious modern "living" pronounciations to the "received" Irish pronounciation largely invented from scratch during the late 19th century/ early 20th century in an effort to revive a tongue on the verge of extinction, then compare it to the likely Old Irish pronounciation, which no-one knows for sure because it's effectively a dead language derived from written sources (transposed from older oral sources)'
Imp Afraid I have to take issue with this, Irish as a language is a living language, not many people speaking it but still no need to 'Transport' word from old literature. Modern Gaelic has been around since the 16th century and anyone reading Irish from this period now would be able to understand it.
The Irish taught in school since schools started is much the same.
What you may be referring to Tordleback is the standardization of Dialects in the 1950, when the main dialects of Irish in Ireland were standardised into one universal Irish.

The most popular version of a work was chosen to be the standard. EG In Ulster and Connaught, â??Gasurâ?? is the Irish for a young boy, the Munster Irish is â??Gasun,â?? and â??Gasurâ?? was chosen to be the standard for school curriculum.

Rant over

David

TordelBack

David, I'm wasn't (having fun) arguing that Irish isn't a living language, 'course it is...  (BEWARE: boring half-informed waffle follows).

What i was trying to do was point out that Old Irish (the written form of the later 1st Millennium AD) is a quite different beast to modern Irish, and only survived in a written form.  I'd be pretty impressed if the average modern speaker could make even as much of Old Irish as the average English speaker could make of Middle English (I certainly can't without Thurneyson by my side, but then my Irish is piss-poor) - many words and structures would be famliar, but the differences are many and tricksy.  It managed to resist sound scholarly translation until the later 19th century.  

My point here was to pour good-natured scorn on the idea that someone could claim that "Sláine" (a character from 12,000BC if the Drune's flooding of the Irish Sea is the same event as the post-Glacial innundation of that area) has "a" correct pronounciation because it's "Irish", when that language was a noticeably different entity a mere 1,000 years ago.  (Also note that Sláine the strip isn't actually written in Irish, it's English with some modern Irish loan words.)

Once we get to the 16th century and Keating, we're into Modern Irish, and  I'm not really arguing with you -  everything should be mutually comprehensible, but the dialects of the various galetachts are sufficently notable to suggest that pronounciation can be quite different - and the point I was making there was that languages change over time and space.

In talking about 19th/20th century changes, I suppose I was thinking mainly of O'Donovan's work in standardising placenames in the 1840's, the Gaelic Revival boys of the turn of the century hauling Irish literature into the light, Dinneen's dictionary of the 20's, and yeah, of Daltún's "Official"  spelling and grammar revision of the '40's (which was a big change), pushed into schools in the 50's and 60's.  My mother, in school in the late 40's prior to An Caighdéan's full-scale arrival, was horribly confused by our 70's textbooks, and was bugger-all use to me with my homework, hence my bitterness!

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting myself late last year......

QuoteI believe that the ONLY pronouciation was shown in the first episode (Prog 493) of the 'Spoils of Annwn'(Pronounced Anoon)

I recall from the panel with boat in it and the words 'Slawnyeh' written somewhere on the page.

Not that I was bothered enough to dig out my collection of Slaine Quality Comics.
It was one of the first of Slaine comics I ever brought.

Right now, I looking at that very page featured in the latest Slaine graphic novel wondering why a fuss was made about this in the first place.  

I even managed to dig out my stash of Quality's only to realise I was wrong about any caption on that page was attempting to show correct pronouciation of Slaine.

It's just got ........

//]*ANNWN%20(%20pronouced%20'Anoon'):%20THE%20UNDERWORLD.

Oh well, I was terribly wrong.

Though, I do remember this was written somewhere.

Perhaps I should look under 'Sky-Chariots'

ThryllSeekyr

For a second there I thought Glenn Fabry is giving a another interveiw again.

JayzusB.Christ

Why did I have to read this thread? Why? That's 40 minutes I'll never get back.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

stacey

Quote from: "JayzusB.Christ"Why did I have to read this thread? Why? That's 40 minutes I'll never get back.

that's  also my Diagnosis, Murder it's been on my poor eyes!

I'm so sorry!