Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: Life is sometimes sort of okay because...
« Last post by Mardroid on Today at 02:30:49 am »
That scene cracked me up too... although maybe  I could have done without the brown gunk...
Love how he spends ages cutting open corpses before noticing the obvious post mortem before the infamous possessed intestine corpse head puppet bit, too.

Unfortunately it seems that scene didn't go down well with a lot of viewers the US as the viewing figure went down. Heh.
Announcements / Re: The 2000 AD A.B.C. web series
« Last post by abelardsnazz on Today at 12:27:05 am »
I recall the 2000 ABCs with fondness
Thrills of the past remembered through greatness

Molch-R presenting with enthusiasm
Each story told again in microcosm

Now characters of the ages do wonder
When will they have their moments of splendour?

Remembering this nonsense and how much I've enjoyed every episode of the ABC. Like the new(ish) intro too. Thanks Molch-R and the creative team, I'm enjoying many past thrills thanks to this series.
Creative Common / Re: My Artwork Collected
« Last post by Andy Lambert on 23 March, 2018, 11:15:12 pm »
Books & Comics / Re: The Zarjaz, Dogbreath & FQP comics thread
« Last post by Leigh S on 23 March, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »
Just about to get down to the Final Solution Case File writeups and realised I have mislaid Z #29 and DB #33 - a quick trip to the FQ shop has fixed that....
Off Topic / Re: Life is sometimes sort of okay because...
« Last post by SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 23 March, 2018, 08:05:13 pm »
Because my kids and I have finally found time to start watching Ash Vs Evil Dead season two, and tonight we cracked open a large bag of popcorn and did episodes 1-3.

Oh my giddy aunt! It's even better than season one! And episode two, specifically the morgue scene, has to go down as one of the best and funniest/ most disgusting things I've ever seen in a TV show. The three of us were actually crying with laughter. And the cliffhanger to episode three came from completely left field and again, left us agape.
There is literally nothing wrong with this show, it is almost too perfect.
General / Re: Everything comes back after 20 years: The Prog's New Dark Age
« Last post by Magnetica on 23 March, 2018, 07:54:30 pm »
Not a Prog I recall, but according to Barney it has two strips by Ron Smith and one by Brett Ewins. Surely something of merit there?

One of the Ron Smith stories was Robo Hunter. I don’t recall him ever doing one of those. But it was the Mark Millar version and there is no way I have ever re-read any of those, so given it was 25 years ago I must have forgotten.
« Last post by Dark Jimbo on 23 March, 2018, 07:49:14 pm »
 :lol: Forgot how good these were!
« Last post by Dandontdare on 23 March, 2018, 07:10:40 pm »
Yay, I love me some Dreddheads!  :D
General / Re: Everything comes back after 20 years: The Prog's New Dark Age
« Last post by Goosegash on 23 March, 2018, 07:07:00 pm »
I agree that nothing in the Prog is as bad as 2000 AD's worst, but ABC Warriors is now skirting with mediocrity alarmingly regularly. Perhaps scheduling is part of the problem – running two bursts of Mills with crossover. I dunno. I'm just utterly bored of the treadmill/repeating background of ABC Warriors, and that's a strip that shouldn't be boring. By contrast, Savage has some massive plot holes and resolution issues, but is at least readable.

I think everyone involved knew those strips were shit.
It's hard to know what everyone at the time thought of specific strips. We do get interviews where people talk in hindsight about their time (Ennis being notably candid about his 2000 AD work, noting he was too young to do the likes of Dredd justice), but it would be interesting to somehow be a fly on the wall back then.

Certainly, I get the feeling no-one much cared about the comic's history. There's a feeling of "I can do better than what went before" by tearing down the comic's history. And although it's very clear that some things look better in scripts than in their final comic book form, the sheer amount of crap during the comic's nadir suggested that either standards were low, or there just wasn't enough material coming in to fill the pages.

Spot on - it was an unfortunate toxic combination of complacent editorship(*coughBurtonMacKenzie*) in the post-McManus era combined with certain writers (*coughMorrisonMillar*)who thought they were too good for some dumb kids comic and just took the piss.

I remember we had a thread years ago where we tried to determine what was the absolute worst Prog, and the winner was 827 by some margin. Truly wretched.
General / Re: We need NEW BLOOD- Join us, Joe....
« Last post by Jim_Campbell on 23 March, 2018, 07:05:41 pm »
Didn't Ron Smith have to give up working as he effectively went blind?

When Ron fell out of favour with editorial, he went off to do advertising work for vastly better money. David B recounts trying to get him back for a landmark prog (2000? I can’t be arsed to dig out my copy of TPO) to which the Smith droid is alleged to have responded “Not bloody likely.”

The macular degeneration to which you refer sadly hit him later…
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10