Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

Blimey Tordels.  So sorry for you and good advice.

A colleague of mine lost her dad a couple of weeks ago to suicide too.  It just makes you realise how quickly people can become ill.   As you say, if you can then please talk to someone.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 January, 2018, 07:49:21 PM
Do me a favour squaxx, if you're having problems with your thinking and feeling organ,  go see someone,  and don't take 'no' or 'take a number' for an answer.

2nd from me here.  Long time since the Black Dog Thread has seen any traffic and hopefully that is an indicator of how fellow boarders are coping.  Personally on that score I've always found this place the most compassionate and supportive place going when 'having a wobble'.  I know there are some crap GP's out there but persist and insist on seeing another one if you aren't happy. 

I've got several kids I teach who lost their father in the last few months to this.  Having a cousin who took advantage of his service weapon in Iraq and the damage it has done to his wife and kids ...  It may 'feel' like no one gives a shit but that is not true.

Keeping you in thoughts Tordels.

TordelBack

Thanks guys. But I should clarify that it's not really 'my' loss in any real sense, he and his wife were friends from long ago, and we only occasionally saw each other in recent years, although now of course I wish it had been otherwise.  But yesterday, seeing the impact on his wife, his mother, other closer friends, his family and even the wider community.... jesus.  I've been to too many of these types of funeral, but this one got to me more than most, in part I think because this was a man I always - envied isn't the right word - admired maybe, with a dollop of self-reproach?  He had achieved a kind of life I once aspired to, and subsequently idly idealised, but knew I couldn't emulate.  And yet it ended in the most terrible emotional pain, and now, nothing.

Still, and selfishly, waking up this morning beside my warm but grumpy wife, dealing with my shitty elderly cats, inhaling the scent of my kids' hair even as I berated them about lunchboxes left in schoolbags since Friday, I had a new appreciation for being alive, and a determination to be better. Me, me, me.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 January, 2018, 09:08:40 AM
.... even as I berated them about lunchboxes left in schoolbags since Friday, I had a new appreciation for being alive, and a determination to be better. Me, me, me.

Aye, because nothing speaks to the joy of life like three day old mouldy sandwiches boxes, does it!   ::)

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 January, 2018, 07:49:21 PM
if you're having problems with your thinking and feeling organ,  go see someone,  and don't take 'no' or 'take a number' for an answer. Sometimes, maybe often, even talking to family and friends about it just isn't enough: sometimes you need professional help, same as with any other severe illness.

I wish to endorse this comment, from experience. I've had serious difficulties with anxiety for much of my adult life, and last year reached crisis point. I eventually sought help and it saved my life.

Life's pretty great for me now. It can get better. It was only ever mixed-up brain soup, and I'm glad I found that out.

Sending you best wishes, TB.

The Legendary Shark

Digging a ditch today, got the pain again so bit the bullet. In hospital now, docs say it was a heart attack. Buggeration.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

Steve Green

von Boom

Glad you went to see the quacks. Get well Sharky.

Fungus

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 January, 2018, 07:03:34 PM
Digging a ditch today, got the pain again so bit the bullet. In hospital now, docs say it was a heart attack. Buggeration.

Holy shit,  lad. Even Sharks only have one of those!  Hope they are taking good care of you,  and that you've someone looking after your dog just as well - if not,  drop me a line,  my missus has contacts in the animal welfare world, sure we could work out something if you're laid up for a bit.

In the meantime,  try not to objectify the female health care professionals too much.

Something Fishy

Blimey shark.  I am so glad they are treating you now before it gets worse.  Wishing you all the best.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, guys. Fortunately, it doesn't look too bad this time around and I should be released back into the wild tomorrow.

Thanks for thinking of my dog, Tordels - he's being looked after at the farm for now and probably fast asleep, stuffed and content by now.

I'm trying not to objectify the nurses, honest, but one of them's an absolute stunner who's just been talking to me about her dog whilst sticking sensors all over me. Even when life's bad, life's good!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Sad about the heart attack but glad you're better Shark. Take care of yourself.

As for the dog, a farm must be doggie heaven!

Tjm86

Adding thoughts in Sharky!  Now you need to dial down on the political thread.  Don't want to put too much strain on the ticker!