Main Menu

Rebellion to publish Scream/Misty Halloween Special in 2017

Started by Professor Bear, 20 July, 2017, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 July, 2017, 01:22:35 PM
1) What's gender-specific about the title 'Scream'?

It's got a mahoosively phallic and dribbly exclamation mark at the end of it, Mr. Letterer.

Professor Bear

But it's dribbling red - clearly blood, possibly menstrual given the usual prominence of the moon in cover images that could be hinting at lunar cycles.  This could go either way.

M.I.K.

Waitaminute... (suddenly realises Mr. Mills's rewritten version of Carrie for young girls is called "Moonchild")

Professor Bear

This feminist conspiracy goes deeper than anyone could have suspected.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 July, 2017, 09:56:28 AM

Um, only girls scream?

No, hang on, I think I'm thinking of squee(ing).
Nah, I know plenty of boys who squee as well - away with your gender stereotyping!

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 July, 2017, 12:04:25 PM
The Phoenix fills that hole, and even does horror stories around Halloween.  If you can bloody find it, that is.
Waitrose, I believe?  And I've seen a pile in the Little Green Bookshop in Wood Green.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 July, 2017, 07:42:31 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 July, 2017, 03:10:47 PM
What's gender-specific about the title 'Scream'?
It's got a mahoosively phallic and dribbly exclamation mark at the end of it
But it's dribbling red - clearly blood, possibly menstrual given the usual prominence of the moon in cover images that could be hinting at lunar cycles. This feminist conspiracy goes deeper than anyone could have suspected.

The logo uses one of The Four Typefaces of Eve.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Muon

This looks pretty damn awesome. I have memories of buying a couple of issues of Scream. Misty was kind of before my time, but I remember reading a lot of spooky stories in later girls' comics (swiped from my sister's room) like Bunty and Mandy.

The cover looks acey. It reminds me of an image I saw at the time of Scream but that I can't remember seeing since. I'm thinking it would have been a print advert for the new comic that I might have seen in one of the IPC humour comics I used to read around then. Can anyone else recall it or am I imagining it? I recall an image of a kid reading a copy of the comic, and a load of ghouls and ghosts crowding in behind him to read his comic. I remember the image really firing up my imagination as a kid, with the scariness of the monsters and the jarring, funny idea of them being fascinated by a horror comic.

It'd really make my day if this imagined image actually exists. It's doubly make my day if someone could post it here  :)

M.I.K.

I don't think there was a print advertisement for Scream! as you describe, (although there was a TV advert for the comic that had a boy reading with scary stuff going on around him).

It's possible you're misremembering an advert for a different comic - scary beasties reading things over shoulders is the kind of idea that'll always crop up every now and then. I think there may have been something similar in Oink! a couple of years later, but the image that immediately springs to mind is the cover for the Beaver Book of Horror...

https://2warpstoneptune.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/beaver-horror-1977.jpg

JLC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 July, 2017, 12:47:53 PM
Anyway, this is all moot AND NOT JUST BECAUSE MISTY WAS BETTER because you have two books that appeal to different genders and you make one logo smaller?  There was zero chance someone wouldn't pick up on that.  The only sensible thing to do now is double down and try to make perceptions of gender bias a part of the marketing gimmick like we're doing now the makers of Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman did.

2) If Pat hadn't waded in with his theory that the decision was based on a sexist intention to diminish the significance of Misty, wouldn't we all quite happily have accepted Henry's explanation that he mistakenly failed to leave enough logo space at the top of the artwork (which he copped to earlier in the day, before Pat decided to get outraged about it)?
No we wouldn't all quite happily have accepted Henry's 'explanation'.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JLC on 27 July, 2017, 05:56:43 PM

Why?

...And why the quotes around 'explanation'
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: M.I.K. on 27 July, 2017, 04:41:40 PM

It's possible you're misremembering an advert for a different comic - scary beasties reading things over

Bolland's FP advertisement possibly?

Professor Bear

Quote from: JLC on 27 July, 2017, 05:56:43 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 July, 2017, 12:47:53 PM
Anyway, this is all moot AND NOT JUST BECAUSE MISTY WAS BETTER because you have two books that appeal to different genders and you make one logo smaller?  There was zero chance someone wouldn't pick up on that.  The only sensible thing to do now is double down and try to make perceptions of gender bias a part of the marketing gimmick like we're doing now the makers of Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman did.

2) If Pat hadn't waded in with his theory that the decision was based on a sexist intention to diminish the significance of Misty, wouldn't we all quite happily have accepted Henry's explanation that he mistakenly failed to leave enough logo space at the top of the artwork (which he copped to earlier in the day, before Pat decided to get outraged about it)?

Unless they've bunged the Misty logo onto a one-off short, there's only one story from Misty in the book and the mopey bint is lucky she's on the cover at all.

M.I.K.

I'm guessing the story about fairies will be introduced by Misty, which would make 2 Misty stories, 2 Scream! stories and 2 stories which are neither Scream! nor Misty and feature characters from other old British comics.