Main Menu

An alternative to Amazon?

Started by Mangamax, 03 October, 2016, 07:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

Right, that's it.
I preorder Steve Macmanus's book - it arrives three weeks late.
I preorder Star Wars Rebels season 2 on Blu ray. Its released today. I don't get it. I get instead an email telling me there's a delay and delivery will be somewhere between 25th Oct - 25th Nov.
So, Amazon, get stuffed.
Which leaves wondering - is there a company that sells the same sort of goods, but is more reliable please?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Richard

If thee is, I don't know it. Amazon's usually good, maybe you were just unlucky.

IndigoPrime

Amazon irritates me for other reasons, rather than reliability. Short of using your own local store, I've found Wordery to be broadly impressive. WHSmith was much more variable when I ordered some stuff from them.

sheridan

I'd like to know if there's an alternative to amazon so I can use somebody who pays tax.

IndigoPrime

Incidentally, in case anyone mentions Abe Books or Book Depository, they are owned by Amazon. (Wordery is not. It's a British company, part of Connect, a 'demerger' corporation that was originally part of WHSmith.)

Colin YNWA

Yeah for books I always check Wordery ahead of Amazon for a host of reasons, very often they are a better price as well... which means they probably aren't paying tax either*!

For the other type of thing you get on Amazon, or just plain range its not so easy.

*Based on absolutely no evidence at all! So a wild unnecessary accusation and I'm sure they are all fine tax paying citizens!

Jim_Campbell

You could try Hive which offers an Amazon-like service but tries to support local bookstores. When I order stuff, I get it delivered to my door, but I can still specify a local business (usually Page 45 in Nottingham) to get a kickback as if they'd fulfilled the order themselves.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

hippynumber1

Speedy Hen is consistently cheaper than Amazon and I often get comics I've preordered before the release date.

Mangamax

Ta for the pointers folks. Speedyhen - saw they were selling through Amazon the Blu Ray i was after, so i ordered it. And got an email from them less than two hours later to say it was dispatched  :o
Looks like who i'm going with from now on for my viewing fix  :D

Dandontdare

I've never had any grief with Wordery - though I usually find them via Amazon - I always click on "x number new and used from £..." link, which brings up a list of retailers, Wordery is often the best deal.

You get a nice colour-in bookmark too!

Mattofthespurs

Speedy Hen are my favourites and about 3 times quicker than Wordery in my experience.
If you're in no rush then Wordery is fine (I usually get my orders from the within 11-14 days. Speedy Hen within 4-7).

Mangamax

Again, ta for the pointers. Yup, it'll be speedyhen for me from now on - less than two hours after ordering its dispatched, arrived less than 48 hours later  :D

James Stacey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 October, 2016, 02:17:04 PM
I've never had any grief with Wordery - though I usually find them via Amazon - I always click on "x number new and used from £..." link, which brings up a list of retailers, Wordery is often the best deal.

You get a nice colour-in bookmark too!
If you find them through Amazon you are giving Amazon a cut which is kinda against the point of not using Amazon :D