Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

We did venture out once or twice from our compound to mixed results. Here's me in local Indian 'Spicy Affair'.

Sadly the promised affair was barely a peck on the cheek, This chicken tikka was OK but not char-grilled or spicy enough for my liking and there was no oniony base to speak of.

The main course (well done Wife on the wide angled shot) was disappointing. I went for the lamb bhuna and sadly it could have qualified as a vegetarian offering. You'd get more lamb on Larry's pecker! The rice, onions and base sauce were fine but a couple of chewy, microscopic bits of unidentifiable meat ain't gonna cut it. The peshwari nan was OK but I've had better but at leat the wine was good - a 3.2 on Vivino for about £10.

Buttonman

In the hotel sports bar again - well it was free.

These ribs were immense practically a steak's worth of meat on each of the 3 doublers that comprised the portion. The skinny chips were a bit lost in the meat frenzy but I did like the ubiquitous Jack Daniels sauce.

If that wasn't enough colon clogging here's me in the hotel dining room with a nice steak. It was probably a different night but Imigur is in charge of the photo ordering.

I was a bit cautious going in but the meat was good quality and the lady cooking the steaks let you have a look at the innards before you claimed it so you had the desired level of bloodiness. I also have on my plate creamy mash, grilled chilies and chips as is required by Scottish law.

Buttonman

Back at Champs for my only burger of the trip and it was a good one. Home made and very meaty. I had to abandon half the bun to make sure I kept up my meat quotient for the day.

Here's another fruity breakfast with added yogurt and banana and a cameo from Michael Carroll in the background!

Buttonman

Another lunch at Champs - we really should have gotten out more. This pizza looks like a brown frisbee but was in fact a tasty barbecue and bacon number. Note the wife experimenting with different camera angles - she has been told!

And one more Champs offering - to be fair to me I had something different every time, even when I found something I liked. Case in point is this very nice fish and chips with home made chunky tartar sauce. Yum!

Tjm86

Quote from: Buttonman on 20 November, 2017, 08:05:07 PM
Note the wife experimenting with different camera angles - she has been told!

Okay, but please don't post those picture here.  Little more than we can cope with.   :o

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Last two! Hurrah - til next time!

On this night we spent too long watching Only Connect (Rock n' roll all the way) and missed the dinner service so we had to venture out into the resort.

This was a nice Italian which was maybe a bit fancy for its clientele - well this well oiled guest at any rate. Like Reggie Perrin I always go or the ravioli. This was lovely but there wasn't that much of it and the individual ravioli were hard to separate from their brethren.

The pudding course is the dessert of this raft of pics and I think it was OK (bit pissed you understand). It looks like a puzzle you'd get at Christmas and smash up after 30 frustrating minutes but it was tasty and well presented (if you like that sort of thing, which I don't)

See you for the Christmas special(s)!

Fungus

Lovely smear - I think that's the term - on your pudding plate!

Proudhuff

You know that parrot you had on your shoulder at the petting zoo....
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

And we're back - 17 days in the US and Canada searching out the rootin' tootininst food going.

Well that and the usual bar snacks and stuff. The photos come from my trusty Ixus camera, my phone and the phone of my fragrant wife. They will therefore largely appear in a random order but I will try to keep same meal offerings in one place. We travelled light and hit the laundromats so none of these 'that shirt must be getting a bit wiffy' remarks please!

At least we will start at the beginning. We flew from Glasgow about 7 am for Heathrow, from where we caught a flight to Seattle. To set the tone I sought out the most expensive bacon roll in Glasgow, unless you employ Gordon Ramsay in your kitchen, at the airside 'Sanderling' Wetherspoons pub. Best part of £10 for this and a latte but it was nice and they didn't skimp on the bacon.It was crispy too with that all important zing of HP sauce.

Now at Heathrow and through security we had 3 hours to kill so thought it a good idea to queue up for a table at 'Giraffe' This was fine and efficient but it defeated the killing time plan as we were in and out in 30 minutes. This was a decent but unremarkable chicken teriyaki with sticky rice. Did enjoy the beer though! Bill for us both in the £40 region, which with tip is in the £40 region.

We are now in the air when the good food is sure to appear. This was a 9 hour flight with two feeds as well as Magnum ice lollies. Second feed was just a croissant but this chicken and beans affair was pretty good as were the crackers and cheese and free wine. Please forgive the spectacles - the screen was very small. I watched 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' and 'Muriel's Wedding' after failing to engage with 'Captain Marvel' and 'Isn't It Romantic'.

von Boom

:thumbsup:

Nearly two years since the last post and worth the wait. Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Have a great trip!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: von Boom on 22 September, 2019, 12:09:20 AM
:thumbsup:

Nearly two years since the last post...

You'd think he would have lost weight.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buttonman

I'm aware that I am on the 'fat git' cycle of my ever swinging weight shifts - this  won't help!

We stayed at the Belltown Inn in Seattle and although nice it was a bit close to the hipster and transient communities They have legalised cannabis so every walk up the street was a marvellous sight of stoned people and clouds of joy. I got high asking for directions!

We breakfasted in 'Biscuit Bitch'was a diner kind of place where you buy your grub by yourself an eat it at a table inside or out  They still expect a tip!

This is a tasty bacon and egg affair with some cheese and honey. The 'biscuit' is like a large plain scone - quite crumbly but no raisins. And I wonder why I'm fat!

Colin YNWA

So you say your travelling light. Can I ask can we expect more t-shirt?s or is that our lot I waste a lot of time reading about collinary misadventures just to see the often fine t-shirts on display and want to know whether I should save my time now.... mind maybe you could get takeout food and eat it in the lauramats when washing to combine interests?

£10 for a bacon sandwich, the end of times is near....

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 September, 2019, 07:24:04 AM
So you say your travelling light. Can I ask can we expect more t-shirt?s or is that our lot I waste a lot of time reading about collinary misadventures just to see the often fine t-shirts on display and want to know whether I should save my time now.... mind maybe you could get takeout food and eat it in the lauramats when washing to combine interests?

What's on that second Tshirt, anyway?  Looks like a Stormbringer-esque sword hovering above a moon?