Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

[spoiler]John simm pulled an ainley I loved that  :lol:[/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

I'm so glad Capaldi's run is finally so good, but why does his tenure as the Doctor have to be so short? He's been absolutely bloody superb.

GordonR

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 June, 2017, 09:20:46 AM
I'm so glad Capaldi's run is finally so good, but why does his tenure as the Doctor have to be so short? He's been absolutely bloody superb.

He'll have been in the role for four years/three seasons.  Which is pretty much the norm in the history of the show.

(Patrick Troughton's famous advice to Peter Davison - it's a great role, but don't do it for any more than three series.)

IndigoPrime

I suspect for some it's disappointment due to the fact the show's really hit it's stride. Arguably, though, it could be doing that because everyone's on the way out now and giving it extra. (Although I'd argue Capaldi has been good throughout, if inconsistently directed and written.)

Greg M.

For the first 10 minutes, I thought the episode was awful - typical cringe-inducing, convoluted Moffat, with Missy as much an inducement to switch off as ever. But as soon as it got onto the 'Bill amongst the patients' stuff, I thought it was great - typical atmospheric Moffat, always the area he excels at. I also didn't twig till quite late in the programme [spoiler]who the Master was[/spoiler], which was good. Not really seeing the point of Nardole, but maybe I would if I'd watched more of the series.

IndigoPrime

I wasn't thrilled when Nardole was brought back, but he's been used in small bursts, which has been fine. As noted, he's 'Comic Relief'.

Mardroid

I think the writer took fan waffle into account considering the meta-gags at the start.

Examples:
"Doctor Who."
"Nardole, I do something non irritating." *

*Not that I personally found Nardole irritating. He's a bit of a mother hen type character, sure, but I find that quite amusing, and he is actually very intelligent and competent. But he's the type of character many would be irritated by, or more accurately prejudge to be irritating before they acutely see his performance, partly due to Matt Lucas's past characters.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

A note of caution. In my view, the only other genuinely superb Capaldi episode has been Heaven Sent, but that was followed immediately by the supremely terrible Hell Bent.

Hopefully lightning doesn't strike twice, and yet I don't entirely trust The Moff not to screw this up...

Richard

I like Nardole, so there!
And Missy is brilliant.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 June, 2017, 03:05:18 PM
"Nardole, I do something non irritating."

I'd irritating when my phone adds extra characters.

Quote*Not that I personally found Nardole irritating. He's a bit of a mother hen type character, sure, but I find that quite amusing, and he is actually very intelligent and competent. But he's the type of character many would be irritated by, or more accurately prejudge to be irritating before they acutely see his performance, partly due to Matt Lucas's past characters.

acutely=actually

Oh for an edit button!

Goaty

I love it! I like it!

It could be much better if they don't featured [spoiler]Mondasian Cybermen and the Master[/spoiler] in any trailer or last week teaser!  :-[

JamesC

Really enjoyable episode but the [spoiler]rubbish modern cybermen[/spoiler] in the trailer for next week don't bode too well.

sheridan

Quote from: Goaty on 26 June, 2017, 11:31:19 AM
I love it! I like it!

It could be much better if they don't featured  in any trailer or last week teaser!  :-[
I try to switch off before any trailers appear :(

Some episodes (and films) are pretty well constructed to reveal surprises, which have been completely obliterated by trailers, and in the case of one new-Who first series episode, the title.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 June, 2017, 01:11:40 PM
I suspect for some it's disappointment due to the fact the show's really hit it's stride. Arguably, though, it could be doing that because everyone's on the way out now and giving it extra. (Although I'd argue Capaldi has been good throughout, if inconsistently directed and written.)

I think Capaldi has been fantastic, as have some individual episodes and scenes in his run.  The rest of the writing, on the other hand...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goaty on 26 June, 2017, 11:31:19 AM
I love it! I like it!

It could be much better if they don't featured [spoiler]Mondasian Cybermen and the Master[/spoiler] in any trailer or last week teaser!  :-[

Mike Collins (who storyboards for the show) said that [spoiler]Simm was supposed to be a surprise — it was a secret from a lot of the Who staff and crew that he was even on set[/spoiler] but once it leaked they pretty much had to run with it. The Cybermen did a bunch of outdoor shooting, so they were never going to keep that one secret.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.