Main Menu

greastest death of a character

Started by Devons Daddy, 06 February, 2004, 02:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VampiraJen

ahh...stupid me...that's what i get for scanning a thread not very well...

House of Usher

Two series that stand out for maximum body count and pathos have to be Strontium Dog "Portrait of a Mutant" - Clacton Fuzz, Crabtree, the two-headed Scotsman twins. Possibly The Torso, but it's a long time since I read it...

...and Zenith Phase 3. Terrible, terrible. Very sad.

But my Top Ten of favourite character deaths:

1. Judge Souster!!! What a hero !!!
2. Toy Molto. So moving. How long did Halo drag that stretcher through the jungle?
3. Judge Slocum. Pickled alive, poisoned by a nerve toxin and unable to move a muscle. That absolutely terrified me when I was a kid.
4. Red Dragon. You sober up, train hard, get ready to face the enemy, and then what happens? Ah well.
5. Mach Zero. I'm sure there's a redemptive moral in there somewhere, but I'll be blowed if I can put my finger on it. "Tommmeeee!!!"
6. Judge Jack. Overwhelmed by enemy forces, the poor guy went nuts. Then blew up. Probably.
7. Fergee - yay! That sorted out Cal. Too bad the big guy bought it too. Easy the Ferg!
8. Spikes Harvey Rotten.
9. Judge Giant. I didn't see that coming! (nor did he).
10. Wulf.
STRIKE !!!

Floyd-the-k

there was a great death in Mambo, possibly overlooked here because it was in Mambo

Evil mutated zillionaire Dorian Ventris injects his sycophantic disease loving sidekick with a new disease. THe sidekick describes the symptoms scientifically whilst dying of them.
Prog 946 or thereabouts.

Bad Andy

As a relatively new reader at the time and with no real understanding of the history of the characters, the death of Kraken shocked me and made me read the mag for the next six years. So it's my fave.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Johnny Alpha himself, but that felt more like the death of a strip rather than the character.

Also - pleased to see Castillo has died in my absence from the readership. She was crap.

Dudley

You know, now that I?ve got over the initial impact, I reckon the Jonathan Brand?s death stands up alongside the rest of the great 2000AD deaths very well.  Gordon?s own version of the death of Giant, perhaps?

Other good recent death ? The Universe guy from Shakara II.  And Damage ? if he?s actually dead.

SamuelAWilkinson

Well, it wasn't really her dying, which was a shame, but the Hershey-bot's death scene in Revenge of the Chief Judge's Man was pretty good.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Funt Solo

Brand's death was certainly one of the very few "holy shit" moments that you get with reading the prog.

Definitely up there.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

[YT-2]

there's not been a voting thread for ages so anyone want to do a list of dead characters to vote on and weed them down to the tearjerking winner?

Will I. Cooling

McGruder's death is Wagner at his best, a brilliant story in so many ways.

I think Benny's death at the end of America 2 could've been up there if it weren't for the awful art job.

Of course the best death (and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned) has to be Chopper. Okay, I know they techincally brought him back but goddamit I don't care. Wagner had planned for him to die then and it was the perfect way for him to go. A brilliant, a brilliant story.
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Richard

!!!SPOILERS!!!

There was that nameless character in Halo Jones 2, who died when Toby the robot dog was blown up, and nobody noticed. He/she nobly gave their life to save halo and her friend, and they even said "nobody died today," and there was a picture of their frazzled corpse. I thought that was deeply sad.

Then there was Judge Morph, whose death was a major part of the story he appeared in. There was an episode setting up his character and relationship with Dredd (he'd only been in one story before), then another copule of pages about him dying, and then Dredd went off the rails and almost committed murder in his reaction in what has to be one of the best cliffhangers of all time. Then another several frames of flashback to the dead character later on. Probably no other character in 2000AD, or very very few anyway, had such a protracted and emotional send-off.

My personal favourite though, which probably doesn't count, is Kraken's first "death."

!!!SPOILERS!!!

Banners

Is Giant dead then? Was that in Shimura in the recent Meg?

M@

[YT-2]

>There was that nameless character in Halo Jones 2

Glyph
http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/halo15_3.jpg>

>Then there was Judge Morph, whose death was a major part of the story he appeared in

Tale Of The Deadman Part 5
Prog 666

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/rico2074/morphy01.jpg>

My all time fave story arc culminates with Kraken in Lethal Injection
Prog 669 - 670

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/rico2074/kraken.jpg>

Funt Solo

Assumption that mbanners isn't joking.

The reference is to the original Judge Giant, killed by Orlok during Block Mania.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

That artwork of Kraken is just fabulous. Ezquerra at his ragged best.

I'd love to get my hands on the cover - it's one of my all time favourite covers of all time.

Not exactly tear jerking but I've always remembered the death of the Judge that brings down Dan Tanna juntion in the Apocolypse War.  I think about it every time I drive through Dan Tanna* on the M8 into Glasgow and it makes me smile.

*OK, OK, there isn't really a Dan Tanna junction but, just before the bit with the White Horse where the M73 joins up with the M8, if you squint right, it looks like there are about six different levels of road.  And I always refer to it as Dan Tanna junction much to the bemusement of the wife and kids.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DavidXBrunt