Main Menu

Prog 1378

Started by ukdane, 23 February, 2004, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

PROG 1378

Dredd - feckin' fantastic! Dredd not actually in it, but who cares? Go Wagner! Go Wagner!

Valkyries - Not good enough to hold the attention for double length episodes I'm afraid. Mildly entertaining, but comes across as just a bit rubbish. Mind you it was late & I was tired when I read it yesterday, & I didn't have much patience with it.

The Red Seas - still tip-top fun!

The V.C.s - Trundling along nicely. Still enjoying this, but it probably could have cut down a few episodes.

Droid Life - Ahhh, brilliant! Takes away the little niggle that I was niggling over. Very funny.

Better set your phaser to stun.

ukdane

Dredd: I can see I'm going to have to reread this. I thought it had some nice ideas, but I actually thought that some of the text was a bit clunky in places, and I had to read certain panels a number of times to see if I'd read thm right, and a few still didn't make sense. I'm sure overall, this story so far shows the premise of being very good (anyone know how many episodes it's going to be)?

But I'm afraid on this episode alone, Red Seas is still a better read than Dredd. (Although they are both way better than VC's and Valkyires).

Red Seas: Great!

VC's: Huh! I've no idea anymore who's who, and what they are trying to do. I'm almost certain that this will read a lot better reading the complete story in one sitting.

Valkyires: As already mentioned, why a double episode? Better than last weeks, with some interesting ideas, but I'm still not sure I'm a fan. (TBH: I don't seen the need for T&A in 2000ad) I'm sure the story feels familiar, just in a different setting. And I'm certain the T&A will do nothing to reduce Tharg's stockpile of Fenemist letters.

Damn: I was about to write the next review, but I couldn't remember what the next strip was- see, I'm programmed to accept 5 strips!

Overall: 2 weak, 2 strong, 7 out of 10 (with the majority of points being earned by Red Seas, and Dredd helping the pirates out!) Minus points for double length strip!
Cheers

-Daney

ESCUBRIA

I'd prefer 3 longer strips than 5 short ones in 2000AD. Even if it had to come out every two weeks, intstead of every week, I'd still prefer it.

Longer strips with more time spent on them. I usually end up not reading two of the strips anyway beacause I don't like them. Sorry.

IndigoPrime

I have to say, I too was reminded of the nasty 900s by the current Prog (with the exception that there was a good Dredd within). Like in those terrible Progs, there was also one other decent story to "save" it - Red Seas. If only it had been my John Smith, this would be a real 900 Prog!

Maybe I just don't "get" Valkyries, or maybe I'm getting too old, but it reads like puerile, incoherent garbage. It's like a lad's wank-mag fantasy - like what I imagine Loaded would be, if it were to become a comic. As for it taking up two slots each week, that's just an insult. Like Dr X, I'm not insulted by the content itself, but by the fact that it's been inflicted upon me: if I want this sort of junk, I'll read The Sun.

Oddboy

ESCUBRIA - Ahh - but with 5 strips you get to choose which 3 you read.
If there was only 3 strips in the first place, Tharg would choose them, & you'd end up with only 1 or 2 (or none) you like each prog!
Better set your phaser to stun.

W. R. Logan

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/thumbnails/1378thumb.jpg>
Just wondering why this weeks cover has the VC?s taking time out to all look through their personal viewmasters. Nice to see that these gadgets will still be around in 2581AD.
http://www.northcoast.com/~shojo/View/Vwr/mode.jpg>

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

Leigh S

What Oddboy said - if there were three strips, chances are just as likely Tharg would extend the stories you dont like and ditch the ones you do, thus reducing the readable stuff by at least as much

nobodyUK

*sighs*
In all the time I've been a reader and subscriber, I haven't once considered stopping. Recently, not even the horrible strip that was Synammon put me off that much. However, in these last few progs I feel we've hit rock bottom.

Valkyries is embarassingly bad and that's amplified by the fact it takes up double-length.

Dredd has been decent. Not amazing, just decent.

The Red Seas started out excellent but has recently been bumpy.

VCs also started out well but now I couldn't care less about it.

I don't know if it's just me, but tooth has been very poor lately. Hope it picks up real soon.

The Midnight Surfer

http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=message&choice=8238.041

>Even Dredd couldn't save the bad taste Valkyries left in my mouth.

Spit dont swallow that DNA.

TMS

IndigoPrime

With some wonderful irony, the letter saying the renew my sub came through a few days ago. I've not yet responded.

esoteric ed

Enjoyed Dredd, great to see one of the clone batch at last and he's already causing problems!

Also interesting was that I kinda began to accept Rico as the Dredd/main character focus of the strip without old stoney being around...anyone else feel this way?
so far appears to give these clones more feelings and empotion than Joe has or cares to show very often.

Enjoyed the lawgiver palm print trivia too, me thinks this will be a mini classic in the making.

In anticipation of picking up this weeks prog I began pondering the whole cloning Dredd issue,
I don't know bugger all about genetics, but "what if" one of the clones could somehow be a female?, this could be a nice slant to the unfolding future of the bloodline...

VCs was ok too, nothing else grabs my attention right now within the current line up.

Ed

esoteric ed

(sorry, that should have read)

so far "THE SCRIPT" appears to give these clones more feelings and emotion than Joe has or cares to show very often.

(speed typing is something I must ease up on!)
Ed :-)

Richard

The new Dredd story so far just looks like a rip-off of Young Giant (recently reprinted in the Meg): cadet with an attitude problem might be expelled, so Academy brings in a Dredd to encourage him and win him round. Hopefully the story will forge its own identity next prog. I like the "Dredd family" stories though so I don't mind much. Interesting, by the way, that Dredd doesn't even appear in this episode... a hint of Wagner's future intentions perhaps?

I always like Droid Life.

VampiraJen

is it just me or is 2000ad out a day earlier?

Droid life was okay, but was funnier last week.

Dredd - i'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.  wagner + ezquerra = good

Valkyries - i really would rather it wasn't double lengthed this week, it tends to drag on, still don't like the art and the script isn't blowing me away.  (i still want a stim bed though)

red seas - really enjoyed it this week, for the first time i think, even though it was mainly exposition, but i liked that, it helped me understand the story.

VC's - i'm not entirley following.  i think i will re-read this and red seas again once they are finished.

paulvonscott

Ho-ho-ho...

This weeks Dredd came from a sneaky angle, fantastic stuff.  That's my dose of thrills this week, should I even attempt the rest of the prog?

Oh, go on then...