Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o1s1n

:O Gorgeous page! well done :)

After all the luck recently with great Cam pages, I thought I'd contact the man himself to see what's going.

Quick peak at what I managed to nab before it arrives. Absolutely over the moon with this one.

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 May, 2013, 12:55:14 PM
And finally managed to get a semi-decent scan's of my new pages (may have to invest in a scanner wand like Mark has. Be so much easier!)

The complete three page story is viewable - here

Not a story I was immediately familiar with, but some great Ewins art there Iain (as are the remaining two pages on your CAF gallery).
Superb.

Spikes

Quote from: o1s1n on 05 May, 2013, 08:35:33 PM
:O Gorgeous page! well done :)

Thanks, o1s1n - and youve snagged a beauty of a page for yourself, by the looks of things.

It had gone a little quiet on here, regarding Cam's pages - though i think some forum memebers are waiting on some goodies from him, so its nice to see more of  1.) The money going straight to his pocket, for his art, and 2.) People getting hold of quality pages that otherwise would have been hoovered up years ago.

As for the sneaky peak, id say Prog 455 is yer man, and its a page that shows a nice bit of Bootknife action,  :thumbsup:

o1s1n

There's something special alright about getting such quality pages (and older ones at that) directly from an artist. I'd assume at this point they'd all have been hoovered up as you said or else they were pages the artist wanted to pull a Bill Watterson on and hold onto for life.

Cam is a gent. First time I've contacted an artist directly for comic art and it could not have gone better. :)

Spot on with the prog number by the way, a ninja star and some hardcore a boot knife action on the one page. Loved it when I was a kid - love it even more now! :)

Spikes

Dont know if you caught it o1s1n, but the tale was that Cam took a load of art with him on a trip to the States, but then had to leave behind.
During his stay, he'd picked up a load of other stuff, that put him over his weight allowance, travelling back. So something had to give.

That was over twenty years ago, and only very recently was it sent back to Cam. Pages from that 'missing' stash are whats been popping up on here. They would have easily been sold long ago, if not for that.

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 May, 2013, 08:47:06 PM
Not a story I was immediately familiar with, but some great Ewins art there Iain (as are the remaining two pages on your CAF gallery).
Superb.

Cheers, Kevin. Those early short Future Shocks (this story is from 1981) are firm faves of mine. And that story is deffo amongst my top five. Id somehow missed this art when Wake first announced his sale, and only saw it going on his site again more than a good few days after the fact.
This period of Bretts art is amongst his best, i think. Certainly looking at the art first hand, and seeing just how much work he put into each panel, has caused my appreciation of his work to increase dramactically.

Fatboydale

seems everyone is finding gems .....

Hi Jo-L got loads of 2000ad pages for sale .... drop me a line ....

here one i should get mid week ...can you guess who ? what ? and were ..??

hippynumber1

Is that from 'The Rise and Fall of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein'?

Fatboydale

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 05 May, 2013, 11:48:38 PM
Is that from 'The Rise and Fall of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein'?

all i am saying its an awesome page ....only person that will get it will be Joe Soap ... 

Spikes

Quote from: Fatboydale on 05 May, 2013, 10:18:57 PM
here one i should get mid week ...can you guess who ? what ? and were ..??

Im thinking summat drawn by Massimo....?

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 May, 2013, 09:30:10 PM
Dont know if you caught it o1s1n, but the tale was that Cam took a load of art with him on a trip to the States, but then had to leave behind.

The full story was related to me by Cam a few years back (shortly after the main batch of art was returned; 2010, I think):

Quote from: ming on 09 February, 2013, 12:25:58 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 09 February, 2013, 11:32:04 AM
Ming, or malak brood may know this story better than me, but somehow a good chunk of Cam's art ended up in the States, and then promptly went MIA.
But luckily for Cam (and us!) it all turned up again. He has a list available for what he selling, so why not drop him a line.

I 'ad that Cam Kennedy in the back of me cab once...

The story I got from Cam: "On one of my trips over to USA (1989) we were staying in Upper New York state for 6 weeks, as we had  house swopped with Charlie Vess. I had taken a pile of Dredd pages with me to show and maybe sell. During this trip I met up with and befriended Walt Simenson ( Thor's artist). He insisted on giving me about 50 or 60 of his Thor comics, which he duly signed. For the trip home I had to decide whether to leave the Thors or the Dredds. Towards the end of the holiday we were staying with Rick Veitch, Tom's brother and he said that he would look after the Dredd pages. I must admit I had forgotten about them until about 4 months ago when I was talking to Rick after a long absence. Long and short I sent the postage money and he duly sent them back - it was like having children you haven't seen for years returning home!"

That was a couple of years back.  I was lucky enough to get pick of the litter, hence my Warlord cover plus my favourite pages from The Big Sleep and Magnificent Obsession.  Along with examples of Cam's Rogue and VCs work, I'm a very, very lucky fella.

o1s1n - that's a truly fantastic page!  Definitely one of the best from the whole story, and one I mulled over for a good long while (and would have gone for if it hadn't been for those pesky covers).  Great stuff!

:)

o1s1n

Oh wow, thanks for the info guys! There's nothing I love more than having an interesting back story to pieces :)

Mad to think Cam would chose to bring back some signed Thor comics over his Dredd artwork.  :o

Yeah Ming, that was always one of my favourite pages from that story. I originally read it in Classic 2000AD in the mid 90s. (Would have been 2 when prog 455 came out! :D). Always loved that closeup of Dredd's hand and the ninja star. Great image - delighted you didn't buy it! heh

Skullmo

I go away for a couple of days and some real beauties pop up!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fatboydale

ming

Oooooooooohhhh.

That's a beauty, Dale - and an image I've never seen before, which is great.  All in all, amazing stuff.

Fatboydale

Crackle ..... may trade ...pre 1981 sketch a3 ....