Main Menu

Devlin Waugh: Red Tide collection

Started by Oddboy, 17 April, 2005, 07:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

I've just been reading the Red Tide GN book - and there's some shocking text ommissions in the Sirius Rising story... panels that don't have speech bubbles in them anymore!

So I've had to dig out the relevent progs to fill in the gaps in speech...

As I only noticed this late in the story, I don't know if there are any other missing speech bubbles earlier. They seem to be at the beginning of episodes, where the "Devlin Waugh" logo & episode data have been removed.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

GN Page 139 or Prog 1171, episode 4, page 1 - Panel four:
EDDIE: "I'D FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER IF YOU DIDN'T KEEP EYEING ME UP LIKE I WAS SOME PRIZE HAM.  I THOUGHT YOU HAD YOUR FILL OF BLOOD BEFORE WE SET OUT?"
DEVLIN: "I KNOW. I KNOW. IT'S JUST... AB Rhesus NEGATIVE. IT'S THE DON PERIGNON OF BLOOD TYPES. YOU BRING OUT THE GOURMAND IN ME, EDDIE."

GN Page 145 or Prog 1172, episode 5, page 1 - Panel two:
HEKT: "THiS iS iT, iXAXAAR. THE FORCES ARE MASSiNG. SERPENT FiRE SCALiNG THE SPiNE AND CHAKRAS SPiNNiNG LiKE CATHERiNE WHEELS. ONCE THE JACK OF KNiVES ACTiVATES THE FiNAL GRiD NODE THERE'S NO TURNiNG BACK."
- Panel three:
HEKT: A SPiRIT-KiTE TO SET THE WORLD ALiGHT..."
- Panel four:
HEKT: "IT'S OPENiNG. HYPERDiMENSiONS iNTERLOCKiNG WiTH OUR OWN. A GREAT RUSTY GATE OPENiNG ONTO THE FUTURE... THE DEEP iS CALLiNG ME HOME."
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

GN Page 149 or Prog 1172, episode 5, page 5 - Panel one:
CAPTION: "ICE STATION ZULU:"
HEKT: "iT'S TIME. i CAN FEEL iT. SPiRiT-LENS FOCUSSiNG...EVERY CELL FiBRATiNG iN SYMPATHY...MY BODY ACHiNG FOR ASCENSiON... iF YOU COULD ONLY KNOW HOW iT FEELS..."
- Panel three:
EDDIE: "AAAAA!"
- Panel four:
HEKT: "WHY DON'T YOU SAY THAT AGAiN?"
EDDIE: "JESUS... -NFF- ...OH CHRIST... TH-THIS C-CAN'T BE HAPPENING..."
- Panel five:
DEVLIN: "EDDIE! STAY WITH US, EDDIE! TRY TO STAY CONSCIOUS..."
- Panel six:
HEKT: "iT'LL ALL BE OVER SOON. DON'T WORRY. HOMO SAPiENS WiLL GO THE WAY OF THE NEANDERTHAL. THE POLES WiLL FLiP AND MANKiND AND ALL HiS WORKS WiLL BE CONSiGNED TO THE OCEAN. AND A NEW AND SHiNiNG SPECiES WiLL CRAWL FORTH FROM THE FLOODWATERS TO REPOPULATE THE WORLD..."

Oddboy

GN Page 157 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 7 - Panel one:
JACK OF KNIVES: "YOU'RE DEAD, OLD MAN. DEAD AND CUT TO RIBBONS."
DEVLIN: "OH DO STOP TRYING TO BE FRIGHTENEING! I'M HARDLY LIKELY TO BE INTIMIDATED BY A MILQUETOAST SUCH AS YOU WHEN THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE FACES EXTINCTION, NOW AM I?"

GN Page 158 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 8 - Panel two:
CHUBBY: "S'COMIN' APART... -MMHN- ...'S ALL COMIN' APART... SAM KNOWS... SON OF SAM CAN SMELL ITS SPOOR..."
RALPH: "IS HE ALL RIGHT?"
LUCY: "PSI FALLOUT'S BLOWN HIS STIMPLANT. SHOT OF DEXANOL USUALLY WORKS WHEN HE FREAKY-DEAKS LIKE THIS. IT'S DEVLIN I'M WORRIED ABOUT. I JUST HOPE TO GOD HE'S NOT HAVING A WEEPING FIT UNDER A CHAISE-LONGUE SOMEWHERE..."

- Panel three:
JACK OF KNIVES: "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? I WANT HIM DEAD! I WANT HIM BROKEN! I WANT TO DANCE ON HIS BONES!"
- Panel four:
DEVLIN: "YOU'LL HAVE TO CATCH ME FIRST..."
- Panel five:
PUSSY: "DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF THAT SKY ONE BIT. ASTRAL VEIL COULD TEAR ANY SECOND... LET'S GO THROUGH THE DRILL ONE MORE TIME..."
- Panel six:
HENRI: "MERDE!"
PUSSY: "THIS IS IT, HENRI. REMOTE ACTIVATION. DEVLIN'S TRIGGERED THE ROPE HIS END..."

Oddboy

GN Page 160 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 10 - Panel three:
SIRIUS CORPUS: "III EVOLUTIONARY SHIFT PARAMETERS: STABILISED DNA ACTIVATION PROGRAM ON SHUTDOWN:"
SIRIUS CORPUS: "III DISINGAGING HOLOSPHERE:"

GN Page 161 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 11 - Panel one:
PUSSY: "GET READY TO DEACTIVATE THE ROPE. EEEASY NOW... JUST A FEW MORE SECONDS... WAIT TILL IT'S HALFWAY THROUGH..."
- Panel two:
PUSSY: "NOW! SHUT OFF THE GLORYHOLE!"
THE HEROD: "UUUUUUU"
- Panel three:
DEVLIN: "YOU'VE DONE IT! YOU'VE CUT IT IN TWO! THE BOUNDER DOESN'T LIKE THAT ONE BIT!"
- Panel four:
PUSSY: "THAT'S THE EASY PART! NOW WE'VE GOT TO GET IT OVER THE EDGE!"
- Panel six:
PUSSY: "BUNNY DOWN THE HOLE!"

GN Page 163 or Prog 1173, episode 6, page 13 - Panel three:
LUCY: "AWESOME WORK, GUYS! WE'VE SAVED THE WORLD YET AGAIN... IT'LL TAKE MONTHS BEFORE THE EARTH GRID RESTABILISES AND THE CENTRES OF PESTILENCE POWER DOWN BUT AT LEAST WE'VE PREVENTED POLESHIFT."
DEVLIN: "NOT TO MENTION SPONTANEOUS MUTATION INTO BATRACHIAN STAR-SPAWN FROM BEYOND..."
LUCY: "SADLY CHUBBY'S HAD ANOTHER MONDO FREAKOUT BUT WE SEEM TO HAVE COME THROUGH PRETTY UNSCATHED..."
- Panel five:
DEVLIN: "YES. LETS. I'LL FIX US SOME BLOODY MARYS AND WE SHALL ALL GET ROARINGLY DRUNK AND TOAST TO ANOTHER GLORIOUS DAY ON SPACESHIP EARTH.

Noisybast

D'OH! I was going to buy that one, too! Think I'll wait & see if they fix it in subsequent print runs...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Oddboy

I'm just composing a letter to books@2000adonline.com at the moment.

It's a huge shame, as I'm on the whole really enjoying these books and really want to support the range, but these mistakes are quite disheartening.

Woolly

The quality of the print in Swimming in Blood is pretty abysmal from what ive seen. That coupled with this is a bit shocking.

Be nice if all these complaints could be answered by a european-sized, well printed, hardback complete collection...

Grant Goggans

Good grief!!  I must have been reading this pretty late at night when I went through it all in one go, as I did not notice this at all...!

--Grant

Art

They could at least put together some cut-out-and-stick in speech balloons and put them up as a PDF on the site...

Actually that's probably more of an activity for an enterprising fan with lettering skillz.

The Amstor Computer

Blimey - I didn't see this either. I'll have to dig out my progs and the book and check.

To be quite frank, the proof-reading in the trades has been consistently poor, with mistakes ranging from listing Bad Company as having appeared first in the Megazine, to getting droid and story names wrong.

Whichever droid is supposed to be in charge of that aspect should be sent to Mek-Quake...

The Amstor Computer

I wonder...

The quality of the reprint was pretty good on the later episodes of Sirius Rising. Is it at all possible that they reprinted from the original art & the speech bubbles/text had fallen off?

At the point when this was first published, were they still doing hand-lettering or had the letterers moved over to computers?

IndigoPrime

By that point, 2000 AD had gone digital, and if I remember correctly, Rebellion has everything stored as a PDF or layered document files. Maybe layers were "deleted" that inadvertently also contained some of the speech bubbles? Who knows?

Then again, it was a John Smith script, so you could take the point that missing a few bits here and there wouldn't make it any less incomprehensible anyway! :) Still, some "cut out and stick on" speech bubbles wouldn't go amiss, I guess. An "errata" page would at least go down well, in my opinion.

The Amstor Computer

IP - I thought the comic went totally digital when Rebellion took over. That would be *after* this story first appeared, IIRC.

BTW - anyone hoping for a corrected second print run is probably going to be waiting quite a while. Given the sales figures talked about when DC pulled the plug, I doubt a second print run would be needed...

The Amstor Computer

...and while I'm having a moan - cheers whoever Photoshopped Andy Clarke's cover for Thirteen to put a duff little Rogue Trooper pic on his t-shirt.

(right, that's my moaning quota for the week... ;-) )

Jared Katooie

That is beyond belief.

Surely such a gargantuan error is unforgivable?