Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 13 August, 2020, 07:37:56 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 August, 2020, 11:33:35 PM
I remember another interview where they said that Oasis's Wonderwall changed everything for them. They realised their limitations - they could never write a song as pure as that so all they could do was plod on.

Personally, I never liked Oasis much.

I haven't seen that interview, but that sounds like them taking the mick.

They are a completely different sort of band to Oasis IMO.

Agreed, one is a Beatles tribute act while the other has social and political commentary in their works.

#insert joke here.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 August, 2020, 07:25:12 AM
Not long after,  I tracked down the cover version they did of "Suicide Is Painless."  An outstanding piece to my mind.  As a massive fan of MASH it was the closest I could come at the time to reliving those days.

... and now that we are completely off topic.   :o

That was part of a charity album wasn't it?  Also had somebody cover a Human League song.  Can't remember which charity it was though.

I have recently come across a video for a different charity album - Tom Jones and New Model Army covering Gimme Shelter for (surprise) Shelter.

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 13 August, 2020, 10:02:35 AM
I remember another interview where they said that Oasis's Wonderwall changed everything for them. They realised their limitations - they could never write a song as pure as that so all they could do was plod on.

Agreed, one is a Beatles tribute act while the other has social and political commentary in their works.

#insert joke here.

And one was arguably the biggest band in the UK between 1996 and 1998/9 and the other is Oasis. 😉

WhizzBang

All you Oasis knockers are missing out on a truely great act. The main problem with them is nothing to do with the music, it is because i) They were HUGE and ii) Liam was always a bit of an idiot.

If they had sold barely any records and had faded into obscurity they would be considered as cool as Big Star or the Velvet Underground.

Magnetica

I'm only joshing, I actually like Oasis (upto Be Here Now anyway), but I love the Manic Street Preachers.

JayzusB.Christ

They definitely weren't taking the mick... they were very much (sorry, I'm going to do it again) 4RALE. I think they were either supporting Oasis or playing the same festival when they made this realisation, apparently.   Personally I'd take Motorcycle Emptiness over Wonderwall any day.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

With all the madness going on in Belarus, I've just learned that Kolya is a short form of Nikolai (which is the name of Lukashenko's son).  All that time reading Dante I thought it was just some kind of generic pet name like 'darling'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 August, 2020, 07:26:24 PM
All that time reading Dante I thought it was just some kind of generic pet name like 'darling'.

Ditto, that's gas.

JayzusB.Christ

Also, it isn't too many years since I realised Jacob got the name Sardini because he stuffs things.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 September, 2020, 02:44:27 PM
Also, it isn't too many years since I realised Jacob got the name Sardini because he stuffs things.

I don't remember when I realised the surname alluded to "packed like sardines" but it was nowhere near the original publication...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 09 September, 2020, 04:29:01 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 September, 2020, 02:44:27 PM

I don't remember when I realised the surname alluded to "packed like sardines" but it was nowhere near the original publication...

Think it was only on a second read of the Olympics one - every other nation's taxidermy champion was called something like 'Korperstopfer'.

Look and learn, 90s Garth Ennis.  Judges Traktorfaktori and Brylkreem indeed.

Link Prime

Reviewing contributions from Art Droid extraordinaire John Burns I was musing that 'The Art of Geomancy' was his best earliest Dredd work.
Never occurred to me before what the title actually meant; getting a 'stone' to talk.

Forgive this damn fool.

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 November, 2020, 10:17:50 AM
Reviewing contributions from Art Droid extraordinaire John Burns I was musing that 'The Art of Geomancy' was his best earliest Dredd work.
Never occurred to me before what the title actually meant; getting a 'stone' to talk.

Forgive this damn fool.

Thinking about it - it's likely Alan Grant mentions this in the actual script, but I haven't read the damn thing in 29 years.

Enterprise - One to beam up!

JayzusB.Christ

Non prog related, but I thought today I'd found a new Irvine Welsh novel called DMT, till I realised it's the French version of Dead Man's Trousers.  And given that DMT is the drug of choice in the book, I suddenly realise it's an abbreviation of the title.

BPP

This totally evaded the knowledge circuits of pre-teen me..

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd