Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, true, I'm sticking by them anyway - though with the Meg (apart from the fine latest issue) the odd time, a sense of loyalty is what keeps me buying it
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SmallBlueThing

The prog and the meg are part of my monthly 'budget', so there's no chance of letting them go without a fight. I spend less on comics than 'normal people' do on booze in the average month, and that's the defence i use when my expenditure is criticised. Not drinking (except on very special occasions) does wonders to my balance sheet. I use the library for general comics-reading, buy the majority of books cheaply second hand, never buy dvds unless under a fiver and even then only rarely, and never buy cds. Im cutting our expenditure right to the bone, so i reckon as long as my wife still gets wine and chocolate, my kids still get their comics and i get the prog and the meg and a few sundries, we're placed to ride this out without going mad.
SBT

The Legendary Shark

I salute your indefatigability, Sir!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 September, 2010, 03:02:52 PM
The last two Megazines were almost a tenner in euros. It's treading a fine line with me at the moment as it stands - not its fault it's a tenner, but I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it when we're all hard up

Too true.  I handed over €12.70 for my Prog and Meg combo today.  That's 20c more than my entire disposable income for the week, so not even a cup of coffee or a stick of chewing gum 'til next Friday - still worth it, but it's a lot of dosh.  I'm saving reading the Meg for a few days.  Scary times.

JayzusB.Christ

Shit, TB, sorry to hear that. No wonder you're good at crosswords. Still clutching at employment myself but I'll be out of a job by Christmas; the plan is to hop on a plane to Australia after that and start afresh. Not as easy at 35 as for the younger folk, but I'll give it a whirl
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 September, 2010, 07:31:45 PM
Too true.  I handed over €12.70 for my Prog and Meg combo today.  That's 20c more than my entire disposable income for the week, so not even a cup of coffee or a stick of chewing gum 'til next Friday - still worth it, but it's a lot of dosh.  I'm saving reading the Meg for a few days.  Scary times.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 September, 2010, 03:02:52 PM
The last two Megazines were almost a tenner in euros. It's treading a fine line with me at the moment as it stands - not its fault it's a tenner, but I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it when we're all hard up

There are always options, why don't you buy it from clickwheel? It's less than a fiver for two issues of the Meg, €2.38 each. €1.78 for a prog...and you'll be able to carry them around on the ipads we'll all have (eventually).

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteThere are always options, why don't you buy it from clickwheel? It's less than a fiver for two issues of the Meg, €2.38 each. €1.78 for a prog...and you'll be able to carry them around on the ipads we'll all have (eventually).

Hmmm... not a bad idea at all, that. Might give it a try

JOE SOAP

Once you give up the lure of dead trees, after a while you won't miss it too much, and it takes up a lot less space. If you go to OZ, clickwheel is definitely a more attractive option.

TordelBack

Quote from: Garageman on 17 September, 2010, 08:03:50 PM
Once you give up the lure of dead trees, after a while you won't miss it too much, and it takes up a lot less space.

Pretty good idea, GM.  I couldn't live without my paper Prog, too much of a ritual for me, but the Meg (still a newcomer to my routine, after 20 years) would do nicely digitally.

JOE SOAP

I've often gone to Easons and seen the prog, I flick through, bringing back that seven year old's experience of the visceral rush of ink strokes, but then I remember the amount of care and space needed to keep them and it goes, but I often wonder...

johnnystress

"the lure of dead trees"

I've gone all mystical and gothic

in a good way

maryanddavid

I paid over €20 in the newsagents on thurs for our weekly round up, 2000ad, JD Meg Heat, The Beano, Ben 10, and a Nursery title.
The meg really does put up the cost, and €20 out of one week budget is too much. Especially since at work we are been threatened  for the last six months with more paycuts, 3 day week, etc etc.
I do feel, and this is only anecdotally, that some rural areas havent been  hit as bad as urban areas. The company I work for has outlets all over the country and the biggest sales drop have all been the urban areas. Obviously there isint the population density for unemployment to have as big affect, but the so called tiger never came across the Shannon with as much ferocity as the rest of the ocuntry, mayby except for Galway.
Even though I dont like the idea of a digital comic, if the meg continued at that price, there wouldnt be much option.

David

Roger Godpleton

If you all want to give me a pound per week, I can PM you the details of what happens in the prog.

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

My subscription has lapsed. Renewing it for 2000ad only might have saved me £12 a year, but instead I went for the false economy of picking it up every week from a newsagent's. At least this way they won't be crumpled, torn or sodden.
STRIKE !!!