Main Menu

Prog 1913 Knight Terrors

Started by Mattofthespurs, 10 January, 2015, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 January, 2015, 10:11:51 PM

Savage was superb. This is Mills at his very best - I honestly can't understand the moaning when this strip came back, as though it's an acknowledged clunker. Is this not one of the most consistently solid strips of his latter-day output? And what a (painfully rare) joy when Mills lets his characters be characters rather than his own mouthpieces!

Well said that man.

QuoteI wasn't thrilled about this line-up last week but it's really finding its feet. I do think there's a bit too much black-and-white going on though!

Burn the heretic!

Proudhuff

Hate to sound like Logan  ;) but there is little here to tweak my bag of spanners.
Dredd would be fine but I've little love for the gang of four, however In The Big W we trust. Apart from that there is nothing here that sparks my interest, first time in years that's happened.
DDT did a job on me

wedgeski

Six months into my re-subscription to the two mags, I feel like I'm finally grokking the modern 2000AD as opposed to the 20-year-old memories of the comic I've had since I unsubscribed in the early 90's. Saturday morning post is becoming one of the highlights of the week!

Dredd: Love it. Salivacious art, and I feel like the story is finally getting into gear. I have two problems, though. Anderson looks too young (unless there's a Dreddworld reason for that I've missed?), and the strip so far feels like an awesome 60-page graphic novel arbitrarily split into weekly installments.

Ulysses Sweet: This is a new one on me. It's a grower, but I hope it doesn't out-stay its welcome. The guffaw humour is a nice change of pace. Anyone else spend too long staring at that hamburger? That was one fine looking hamburger.

Orlok: Great strip. Feels kind of old-school. Early days but loving the pace.

The Order: I'll admit I sometimes tire of the genre-crossover game, but this one has me in its claws. Funny this week, too.

Savage: As an old reader who has clearly forgotten most of what he ever knew about the ABC Warriors (which probably wasn't much), this one has me skidding around for context. The strip's politics are a bit on the nose but I can live with that. Can anyone point me at a good resource for how this strip intersects with ABC?

ZenArcade

So a day off work and a leisurely breakfast, followed by a salivation over this week's prog.

Cover: beautiful, it reminded me of a plate out of an 1960's History text.

Dredd: again a consummate blend of art and scripting. The triple threads of the earthbound investigation; the blissful journey by the mega-rich (which is subtly unravelling around the edges) and the cold, grim 'rebirth' of the Dark Judges is a delight to read.

Ulysees Sweet: space bound uber nut continues apace on his journey of chaos throughout the stars. I love this strip.

Orlok: very nearly my favourite story this week. The pacing and art on this are a joy.

The Order: yep, it isn't steam punk, too early.....waterwheel punk?

Savage: I even liked this.

A really good prog, not a duff story in it. Z :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

strontium71

Did anyone else's Prog arrive with blank pages? Dredd's in there , as is Savage , Orlok and Sweet. It's out of order for sure.
...because I hate you.

ZenArcade

Dandontdare

Quote from: wedgeski on 13 January, 2015, 10:44:01 AM
Dredd: Love it. Salivacious art, and I feel like the story is finally getting into gear. I have two problems, though. Anderson looks too young (unless there's a Dreddworld reason for that I've missed?),

I think Greg has modelled his version on everybody's favourite cosplayer and Planet Replica's official model Integra Fairbrook

Fungus

Quote from: strontium71 on 15 January, 2015, 01:14:19 PM
Did anyone else's Prog arrive with blank pages? Dredd's in there , as is Savage , Orlok and Sweet. It's out of order for sure.

You have bought the 'sketch strip' variant. Drawing your own strip is often preferable, see American Reaper.

James Stacey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 January, 2015, 01:48:03 PM
Dredd: Love it. Salivacious art, and I feel like the story is finally getting into gear. I have two problems, though. Anderson looks too young (unless there's a Dreddworld reason for that I've missed?),

I think Greg has modelled his version on everybody's favourite cosplayer and Planet Replica's official model Integra Fairbrook
sssh. Don't look to closely at her parting though as it swaps sides a few times.

wedgeski

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 January, 2015, 01:48:03 PM

Oh yeah, I see that now.

Fungus

A tasty prog. Savage would be the least of the Thrills normally but the politicking, while overt, seemed better-handled than usual. Savage in the 'caff' once again brought a smile, he'd fit into Walford no problem.

Probably Dredd & Orlok the highlights but when it's this good, that's splitting hairs.

TordelBack

Some great stuff this week, love this line-up. 

Over in Dredd there's some puzzling stuff going on behind some really remarkable art.  First, Anderson appears to have lost her personality entirely - not a hint of irreverence, not a wisecrack, not even a jokey name for the Dark Judges.  Even Alan Grant doesn't write her quite so dour.  What gives?  Second, who's the fifth dead body for?  When Death's host comes in carrying the latest body, there are already three corpses in the coffin-things, and then having dressed himself in his uniform and lain in the fluidsssss (sorry, it's a compulsion), he shoots himself (although I had thought bodies had to be at a certain stage of ripenesssss). So what did he need that last body for?  Is there a fifth (regular) Dark Judge?  Please for the love of all that's unholy, don't let it be PJ. 

Sweet still is, although I was hoping to see a bit more from the hilarious Hendersons. Adams has a great handle on the 'self-contained episode' thing, very enjoyable strip.

The Order is ace, Kek-W again showing that he can write modern versions of the kind of stories that would have been perfectly at home in early 80's 2000AD, Eagle or Scream.  This is my kind of thing.

Savage shows why Pat Mills is Pat Mills - he never lets a strip sit still.  There's a part of me that doesn't want to see the Savage-ABC Warriors-Ro Busters circle closed quite so tightly, but another part of me that thinks it's great.

Surprise this week is Orlok, which opens up beautifully into something intriguing, and doesn't drag the 'Orlok's gone rogue!' red herring out too long.  Love the clever use of the 2100 setting re: MC-2's little problems, but also wonder how this will all gel with 'Cop' over in the Meg, set only a dozen years earlier. 

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 January, 2015, 11:39:50 PM
Some great stuff this week, love this line-up. 

Over in Dredd there's some puzzling stuff going on behind some really remarkable art.  First, Anderson appears to have lost her personality entirely - not a hint of irreverence, not a wisecrack, not even a jokey name for the Dark Judges.  Even Alan Grant doesn't write her quite so dour.  What gives?  Second, who's the fifth dead body for?  When Death's host comes in carrying the latest body, there are already three corpses in the coffin-things, and then having dressed himself in his uniform and lain in the fluidsssss (sorry, it's a compulsion), he shoots himself (although I had thought bodies had to be at a certain stage of ripenesssss). So what did he need that last body for?  Is there a fifth (regular) Dark Judge?  Please for the love of all that's unholy, don't let it be PJ (Maybe, that is - obviously I'd be fine with it being Holden). 

Sweet still is, although I was hoping to see a bit more from the hilarious Hendersons. Adams has a great handle on the 'self-contained episode' thing, very enjoyable strip.

The Order is ace, Kek-W again showing that he can write modern versions of the kind of stories that would have been perfectly at home in early 80's 2000AD, Eagle or Scream.  This is my kind of thing.

Savage shows why Pat Mills is Pat Mills - he never lets a strip sit still.  There's a part of me that doesn't want to see the Savage-ABC Warriors-Ro Busters circle closed quite so tightly, but another part of me that thinks it's great.

Surprise this week is Orlok, which opens up beautifully into something intriguing, and doesn't drag the 'Orlok's gone rogue!' red herring out too long.  Love the clever use of the 2100 setting re: MC-2's little problems, but also wonder how this will all gel with 'Cop' over in the Meg, set only a dozen years earlier.

ZenArcade

I was given to think that Mordechai was still walking the Cursed Earth....possibly him? Z

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 January, 2015, 11:39:50 PM
Second, who's the fifth dead body for?  When Death's host comes in carrying the latest body, there are already three corpses in the coffin-things, and then having dressed himself in his uniform and lain in the fluidsssss (sorry, it's a compulsion), he shoots himself (although I had thought bodies had to be at a certain stage of ripenesssss). So what did he need that last body for?  Is there a fifth (regular) Dark Judge?  Please for the love of all that's unholy, don't let it be PJ. 

That puzzled me too - I think it was a genuine art slip, as the fifth body isn't even accounted for in the script, while the other three - Berbatov; Will Orchard; and Dave Kurtz - have all had their deaths/dissaperances carefully established by Wagner.
@jamesfeistdraws