Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 April, 2016, 10:52:32 AM
Brother Ghost Dog!

Ha! I thought the same... Ghost Dog has one of my favourite soundtracks too.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I like the look and darker tone of the Rogue One Trailer. The dialogue "I'm a rebel!" is pretty awful but general bad assery weapons, some explosive action scenes and Jyn Erso's crim turned Rebel Operative reminded this old boy of Blakes 7's dirty half dozens battle against the Federation. That didn't end happily and some comments conclude that the final image of Jyn dressed as an Imperial Pilot suggests a similar fate for her but as I recall in the S.W-ANH Luke and Han dressed up as Stormtroopers to get passed Imperial Security.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Frank

I can't shake the feeling that by the time they've churned out two or three more with increasingly minor tweaks in uniform and equipment, everyone will be crying out for something as distinctive as Phantom Menace.

I came up with this, and thought I was making a really clever point about how long you can get away with the same look, the same characters, and same stories ...

... then I realised Star Wars (1977-2016) has actually been running longer than Wayne's entire career as a cowboy (Stagecoach, 1939, to The Shootist, 1976), or even the Western genre's time as a mainstream feature. I'm not sure if that proves Star Wars is breaking new ground or if it's already past its sell by date.

Can we read the universal acclaim for the Rogue One trailer as a tacit admission that the last one wasn't actually very good?

ZenArcade

Cosh has pretty much summed up my concerns. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Butch on 09 April, 2016, 11:41:22 AM

... then I realised Star Wars (1977-2016) has actually been running longer than Wayne's entire career as a cowboy (Stagecoach, 1939, to The Shootist, 1976), or even the Western genre's time as a mainstream feature.

While that is a fantastic fact I think I was happier when I didn'T know it!

Tjm86

I think it is worth remembering that Star Wars was a visual feast  on scant bones.  It is brain candy of the highest order.  The problem they have now is that after nearly forty years it is becoming a bit more apparent.  I don't think many of us went to see TAF expecting to be blown away and personally I don't expect it with this.  It looks enjoyable and that is really about it if we are completely honest.

TordelBack

... by the time they've churned out two or three more with increasingly minor tweaks in uniform and equipment, everyone will be crying out for something as distinctive as Phantom Menace.

And at that point Disney will give us exactly that.  That's the beauty of being in the hands of such a professional fan-service provider.

Professor Bear

Although it may be a slightly bitter pill given the lengths to which they've encouraged shitting on TPM and its sequels.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 09 April, 2016, 01:16:02 PM
Although it may be a slightly bitter pill given the lengths to which they've encouraged shitting on TPM and its sequels.

Just resting that IP cow until the time is right to milk it again.  In fairness to Disney, Rebels is keeping the Prequel flame alive - many of its key elements are straight from the prequels, albeit filtered through TCW.  And has been mentioned a lot lately, Rogue One is actually the fourth prequel.

Goaty

sheridan

Quote from: Butch on 09 April, 2016, 11:41:22 AM
Can we read the universal acclaim for the Rogue One trailer as a tacit admission that the last one wasn't actually very good?
Nope - I'm looking forward to Rogue One after watching the trailer, and still like The Force Awakens.

Michael Knight

With you on that Sheridan Mate! I really do find Felicity Jones to be a bit of a fox aswell! ;)

Grugz

is that a hairy sontaran alien in there?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla