Main Menu

A.H.A.B.

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2010, 10:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Oh damnit that was close. The trouble is it didn't quite make it. For me A.H.A.B. didn't quite hang together and as such I wasn't convinced by it as a story. The thing is it got close. The premise is pretty good, A.H.A.B. a pretty workable villian, the supporting cast fun enough it has all the elements. They just don't fit together.

Izzie's role in the ship kinda passed me by until at one point towards the end she says she's now the highest ranking person left on board... really? The nature and hunting of the space whales is skipped past. The whole make up and tensions within the crew never really get explained fully...

Theres a lot of potentially great things here its just none of them get explored enough to become fully realised and while one bits being dealt with I'm not sure how another is developing, or not more to the point. Is this another victim of being to compressed. Not sure but it certainly felt like a missed opportunity.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 May, 2010, 10:09:47 AM
It certainly felt like a missed opportunity.

Definately. Elson is a hero of mine and Nigel Kitching did some sterling work on Sonic the Comic, a childhood favourite of mine, but the strip never quite took off.

AHAB himself was a fantastic idea - rather than already being the martinet captain of the vessel on opening, wasn't he the dead captain of another vessel found floating in space who uploads his identity into a robotic suit in order to survive? Trouble was he turned too villanous too quickly, to the extent it beggared belief that none of the characters realsied what he was up to sooner. It was also a little silly how quickly he took over the ship and had everyone at his beck and call. If the strip had been given a little more room to breathe, this might not have been such a problem.

I also think the novel was followed a little too closely. Rather than using it as a springboard to get itself started, the strip retold more or less the same story transplanted into space. Rather like Stalag 666 and other less than sucsessful thrills, I spent most of my time waiting for a twist, a brilliant subversion of expectations that never came. Ah well, pretty art.
@jamesfeistdraws