Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Are we talking about Rod Liddle? They're surely not trying to label him "someone from the left"?!?

Professor Bear

I never said Rod Liddle, M'Lud, I was uhhhhh talking about someone else on QT that was a wife-beating racist that had no business being on the panel.

TordelBack

I'm not a remotely violent person, I don't think I've been in any kind of a ruck since about 1990, but I think I'd have a hard time being in a room with Rod Liddle for any length of time without taking a swing. That he was allowed a largely unopposed platform on the National broadcaster...  Pure human filth.

As for Rees-Mogg, cheeses crust,  if he appeared in some historical drama calmly ordering the execution of tenant farmers while pricing up the chandlery for the next voyage of his slaving fleet,  people would say the casting was a bit on the nose. A living Punch cartoon. And a liar to boot.

And nowhere,  nowhere,  a hint of balance or a coherent contrary view.

But however awful that spectacle was,  I still don't think it quite matches the Kavanaugh hearing. How any country with a shred of self-respect could allow that farce to play out - what is the rule of law if this is how it assembles its highest court?

It's an "I'm With Sharky" kind of day.

Theblazeuk

But surely no one is trying to say Liddle is a leftie right?

Mr:
ROD LIDDLE Why do lefties continue to ignore the mass exploitation of migrant workers?
The more extreme the left's screeches, the greater the populist surge

I could go on, just like Rod, who never fucking stops because we never stop him.

Please I need a sanity check, no one tried to claim that did they.

Professor Bear

Ian Lavery: I wish you'd stop pretending to be on the left when you clearly belong on the extreme right.
Liddle: (shaking head) no, I just don't agree with you about Cuba, mate.
Lavery: I'M NOT YOUR MATE.

TordelBack

Lavery was shambolic and all.  Admittedly not helped by Dimbleby practically sitting in his lap and contradicting everything he said almost before he'd finished a sentence.

All dissenters are fifth-column fascists, having a pragmatic plan is tantamount to treason, no time for facts, no coherent opposition, no turning back. No single moment of media theatre has made me more convinced that hard Brexit is really happening, and it's taking us all down with it.

Professor Bear

I don't know why you're so worried about Brexit, you're getting a military border to keep you separated from it.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 12 September, 2018, 12:55:27 PMReminds me of the 'bonfire of the quangos', which got rid of such evil organisations as:

• National Tenant Voice
  • Hearing Aid Council Executive
  • Disability Employment Advisory Committee
  • Cycling England
  • Renewable Fuels Agency
  • Advisory Committee on Packaging
  • Air Quality Expert Group
  • Young People's Learning Agency
Y'know, not anybody who tried to make the country a better place - nobody's interested in excessive packaging, clean air or young people learning things, are they?

No idea why SMF messed about with the font size there - the list of evil Quangos should have read:

•     National Tenant Voice
  •     Hearing Aid Council Executive
  •     Disability Employment Advisory Committee
  •     Cycling England
  •     Renewable Fuels Agency
  •     Advisory Committee on Packaging
  •     Air Quality Expert Group
  •     Young People's Learning Agency

Funt Solo

I didn't really know who Rod Liddle was, so I looked him up on Wikipedia.  Whoever edited his page is clearly not a fan, as evidenced by:

Quote...a wannabe journalist at the Sun, a poor excuse for a 'news' paper...

...resigning in 2002 after his employers realised he was a total gobshite...

...His knowingly false comments...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Good grief,  Johnson's conference speech...!   Working hard to burn everything to the ground so he can step over the smouldering ruins, blame his predecessors and Europe for everything and through inevitable apotheosis assume his rightful place as the ruling embodiment of everything that is shit about Britain.  What a turd.

JayzusB.Christ

He truly is an odious little shit.  Absolutely amoral; his only principle being the accumulation of money and power.  It depresses me that it took me over forty years to fully understand that the vainest, most sociopathic bullies don't get punished at all; in fact they get the adulation of normal, otherwise decent people and get elevated to positions like US President and potential future British PM.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Sorry to go on like a broken tri-vid but, take the power out of the position and it doesn't matter who fills it. With no power to enforce, what damage could they inflict? You don't like the way the government is going, you stop funding it.

The real power is yours. Always has been. Always will be.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Leigh S

Which could well work if everyone agrees to not feed the politrolls, but when the Right Wingers collective decides it is the one true voice, is the answer to not form a response and let them get on with it - at which point, you have to pick a side?

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 October, 2018, 06:26:26 PM

Sorry to go on like a broken tri-vid but, take the power out of the position and it doesn't matter who fills it. With no power to enforce, what damage could they inflict? You don't like the way the government is going, you stop funding it.

The real power is yours. Always has been. Always will be.

The Legendary Shark

If what they, or anyone else, is doing is lawful then they have every right to get on with it. If it isn't, they don't. All the removal of power means is bringing all people under the same basic law. If what someone is doing is unlawful, extortion, for example, then even if a certain group of people change this crime's name to 'taxation' and claim the right to enforce it, they'll have no power to do so. If, on the other hand that class takes the concept of voluntary contributions and change its name to 'taxation' then that's absolutely fine. With the "right" to coerce and enforce removed, only the things people actually want will be funded.

At least, that's the theory. I'm sure there'd be problems and unforeseen consequences but then, there always are. The chance to prevent governments from exploiting and harming their own and foreign citizens, however, makes it seem worth the risk to me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Or - and I'm just floating this out there - guillotines.