Main Menu

Prog 1742: Eating of Minds

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 09 July, 2011, 08:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Right, I've had enough of upstarts getting these threads. My postie delivers at 7.20am most Saturdays, so I wake to a prog!

Anyhow:

Dredd: Awww. PJ ends after two episodes. [spoiler]In the same way Block Mania was the end of the tale...[/spoiler]. Is it a spoiler to say PJ gets out? Me likes.

SinDex: oooh. Nice violence. And a "Half Life 2" moment in a phone call to Tracy. Me lkes too.

Savage: I find the art on this a little murky. I can see the skill in it, but sometimes I feel it can be a little hard to follows. I prefer my Savage to feature Savage and his Shoota, rather than Rent-a-Baddie. So, here's hoping it picks up.

3riller: Comes to an end. This reminded me of Bix Barton. I am not sure if that is good or bad. Good, probably. But if the idea is for these to be preludes to longer tales then I'm not sure how this would develop - unless the Agency is the key.

Zombo: Genius. In a red codpiece. Bonkers-ness set to 11/10. Me loves this.

Back cover: The Day of Chaos has Arrived -  "Major new Judge Dredd Arc begins next prog". Erp

Inside cover: Johnny Alpha snapsot. He looks pissed off. Confirmed new Ichabod and other goodness.

All in all, a top prog that, bizarrely, leaves me disappointed as I want next week's NOW!

Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Mine was handed to me as I walked out the door so read it on the train. No surprises in Dredd although the incompetence of the system is an interesting angle. We're used to seeing Justice Dept as omniscient and omnipotent.

Cosmo Nibs ended very weakly and Sin/Dex was the unexpected highlight for me.
We never really die.

Grant Goggans

Colin YNWA

Pretty much as you were really from last week.

I'll get it hard stuff out the way first. I was disappointed with the Dredd. There is no denying that it was crafted brilliantly which is hardly a surprise given the two giants of the art from that created it. The story however continued in much the same vein as the previous weeks with further details of the events that happened.

Now I'll almost certainly regret saying this in weeks to come as the deficiencies in the Justice Department become a major plot point that works perfectly, particularly when I consider that the lack of quality in rookies has been long discussed already. So this has probably all been building and will work perfectly. At the moment the key reason given behind the events that have transpired just feels like a means to an end and a convenience to get the job done.

Before I get shouted at, as I've said I have faith that Mr Wagner will make me eat my words and I'll be happy do so. Just now that's how it feels, looking at this story in isolation... brown or red sauce with words????

Aside from that as you were. Well almost. 3riller disappointed after the impressive form shown last week and ended slightly... well typical really. Last week this was setting up to be real fun and a bit different. This weeks felt like a very typical 2000ad story. No in itself of course a problem but didn't bring to the table what it had teased last week.

To balance this Zombo gave clear indications that the... well balance is swinging back the right way. The humour, while still gloriously there wasn't quite so dominant and I really enjoyed this one.

The other two shined as they have since they came back. Sinister Dexter so often a favourite of mine really turned things again this week, enough to give it story of the week for the second time running.  Bloody loving this, here's to actually getting a 10 week run, just what it deserves (hope I've not jinxed it!). Savage was great as well, really enjoying this one.

Good Prog.

DoomBot

Disaster!!!! No prog today...the postie has eaten my prog! Woe is me.

Going to be grumpy(er) all weekend now  :'(

vzzbux

A cover to end all covers. Pure Flint. Has to be my fave of the year so far.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Proudhuff

A fine Prog, but the news of the future thrills overshadows all but Zombo!

Only dip:  SixDen, yawwwwn, someone kill em of please

DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

Don't often join in with the review thread- but I want to say that despite really looking forward to it- I feel mightily let down by Cosmo Nibs. That could have been done in a FS, really. the opening page recap told you everything from the first two episodes and did it better than they did.

Sorry T.C.- think you've written some interesting stuff- but this wasn't your best.

mogzilla

my local nesies gone under so unless i can find a new local source its a trip to preston with a £2.70 each way for my prog! :(

blixab

Quote from: mogzilla on 12 July, 2011, 02:21:06 AM
my local nesies gone under so unless i can find a new local source its a trip to preston with a £2.70 each way for my prog! :(

You can always try the subs - saves the £2.70 each way and also get a copy before it goes on general sale (well only if your local postie takes post with them on a Saturday!)

mogzilla

looked at it but can you spread the cost on dd? i cannot afford an outlay of one big payment.

JamesC

I'm enjoying Dredd for what it is at the moment but I have to say, Justice Department seem ridiculously incompetent in this story.

Face changes for inmates? Visitation rights for PJ Maybe? This doesn't seem like a maximum security iso-block to me.
JDept seem to have become seriously de-powered in general recently and it isn't quite ringing true. Hopefully 'Day of Chaos' may be about to address this.

Goaty

I hadnt post my reviews on here for ages, but gotta to says I Love Zombo! As I read it in bus on way to work, and laughs out! hehe!

Love the President! And with his fired/hired! poor Mole (brilliant name!) as Vice President! hehe!

"Hullo, Mister President. Can I eat you?" "No. Eat the Vice President."

Spirit Rainbow! lol...

Zarjazzer

Cool. I read it whilst waiting for the dentist. Zombo was great, JD fun and SD is okay and 3thrillers a bit mad but fine.

Best cover of the year so far IMHO.

No pain from the dentist either. Yay!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Colin Zeal

Good little prog. Zombo is shaping up to be good fun and Sin/Dex looks interesting. The 3riller was entertaining but the ending was a bit obvious. Dredd was good and I don't have a problem with how incompetent the warders have been now that Dredd has pointed out that standards had slipped in the Iso-Block. Can't wait for the return of Johnny Alpha. I guess the picture in thrills of the future confirms that he will be getting his mutant eyes back now he's alive again.