Main Menu

Anyone for another Zaucer of Zilk?

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 May, 2015, 08:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I really liked Zilk and would welcome more, but it does surprise me that it was so popular, and that it got a US edition.  It just didn't seem like the usual kind of thing that would catch on beyond 2000ad readers, but a lot of American reviewers seemed to be going bananas for it.

The Adventurer

Its a weird and quirky series, and right now 'Weird and Quirky' is kind of 'in' over here.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

I get that, but for me, the US kind of "quirky" beloved of creatives is usually derivative in some way from a narrow band of nostalgic influences.  Zilk had an undertone of getting past nostalgia and growing up, and if anything I thought US fanboys would feel they were being mocked by that kind of message.

Possibly I should just not judge US audiences by the content of US comic book forums in future.

Banners

Quote from: mingHowever, he did send a quick colour tweak which again drives home how insanely beautiful this image is and just how vibrant it would have originally looked...

Great to see, if even just a glimpse of what might have been, thanks. :-)

I guess the version in The Art of Dredd book is the best we'll get...

Dandontdare

I'm certainly up for another zaucer of Ewing/Mcarthy silliness.

Jacqusie

I loved it. Brendan McCarthy for me is a life changing artist and visionary. He's out there in creating such wonders of crazy-mind-funkadelia and Zilk was just another great journey that he took us on.

It was a nice story, a humble and thoughtful slice of silliness, humanity and redemption and I would be so happy to see it's return, if it brings Brendan back to the Prog.

Yes please...