Main Menu

Alien Franchise Reboot

Started by von Boom, 23 August, 2019, 08:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: auxlen on 26 August, 2019, 04:52:28 PM
I enjoyed alien 3, thought it was interesting and liked that Ripley died. the disappearing McGann confused me but I thought it was a return to its roots after the gun go of aliens (which I liked BTW)

The assembly cut covers that!

Arguably the best cut of the film, in my opinion. It's a not a director's cut, and it needs trimming, but it has an extra bit which makes the plot a bit more twisty, and some great visuals which, while not necessary, help set the scene of the monks/inmates world nicely.

auxlen

QuoteThe assembly cut covers that!

Will seek out immediately, thanks!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: auxlen on 26 August, 2019, 05:31:16 PM
QuoteThe assembly cut covers that!

Will seek out immediately, thanks!

It is an interesting watch, and I think it comes with most editions of the film these days (certainly in the blu-ray box sets).

The thing I find most fascinating about it are when it reveals the spots where the theatrical cut was chopped together to edit around the removed material, particularly during that whole middle section. New conversations created out of old ones, shots cut together to give the impression characters are in the same place as each other when they weren't and that sort of thing. Haven't watched it in a while so may be mis-remembering but definitely recall those kind of hijinks and finding them really interesting, been meaning to revisit!