Main Menu

what's up with american deliveries ????

Started by das, 26 August, 2011, 01:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das

my last prog was 1735 !!!!!!!
diamonds says recent issues are running late.
i get my books via https://www.scifigenre.com who are usually really on top of it.

i know that there is a shift from the monthly packs, to weekly, is this the hang up ???

frelling cannot stand this crap distrubution

(and NO i will not be going digital...plaaaa i spit on digital)

Confusion is Better Than Sex

O Lucky Stevie!

If the Adelaide Comics Centre's experience this year so far is anything to go by then this seems to be affecting all UK titles not just Rebellion's. The collective wailing & gnashing of teeth of Doctor Who fans is a most fearsome sight.

Stevie's understanding is that Diamond pay for their stock in advance of distribution. So his money is on it being down to the exchange rate.

Not that Diamond would be in a hurry to admit that.

Did you receive Meg 312 this week?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

das

NO meg311 is the last to hit these shores.

and frankly Rebellion should set up subs for aus/usa/canada that are cheap & sent domestically.
why have middlemen in the subscriptions.

Colin YNWA

You really do get the impression from the news sites (and the gossip on bleeding Bleeding Cool) that Diamond is tittering on the brink at the moment. When that's the case, and I speak from a position of absolute ignorance here, you'd imagine it'd be the smaller books that suffer from any emergency measures they have to take?

This is all most likely poppycock but you (well I) do wonder.

das

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 August, 2011, 08:56:09 AM
You really do get the impression from the news sites (and the gossip on bleeding Bleeding Cool) that Diamond is tittering on the brink at the moment. When that's the case, and I speak from a position of absolute ignorance here, you'd imagine it'd be the smaller books that suffer from any emergency measures they have to take?

do you mean the diamond flood ??
aren't these people supposed to be running a business ??

Emperor

Quote from: das on 28 August, 2011, 12:38:20 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 August, 2011, 08:56:09 AM

do you mean the diamond flood ??
aren't these people supposed to be running a business ??

Allegedly, but....:

www.bleedingcool.com/2010/01/17/2000ad-the-usa-diamond-and-bill-schanes/
www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/15/steve-geppis-personal-fortune-falls-from-over-20-million-to-1-million-in-four-years/
www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/19/steve-geppi-considered-bankruptcy-in-2010/
www.comicsalliance.com/2011/08/26/ask-chris-69-workin-man-blues-with-diamond-comics-distributo/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

maryanddavid

Emperor, thats the sort of stuff I miss CI for!

David

das

emperor- thanks for the links, i had searched knowing there was a reason out there somewhere.

so the progs are not enough in demand to warrant diamond attention, well frak them.

again i ask then why Rebellion doesn't ship a big enough stack of progs/megs to usa & canada & australia to cover the subs and just have a domestic mailing house send them out.

rebellion could charge us a domestic rate instead of the crazy long distance rates to send one prog overseas crap they do now.

then perhaps we could even subscribe and get the bonus gifts !!

The Adventurer

Quote from: das on 28 August, 2011, 03:20:19 AMagain i ask then why Rebellion doesn't ship a big enough stack of progs/megs to usa & canada & australia to cover the subs and just have a domestic mailing house send them out.
I have a better idea, why not enter into a parnership with Image or Dark Horse to solicit, print, and ship Progs domestically instead of dealing with the headaches of overseas shipping and distribution.

I mean, I guess there's a downside in savings in printing volume, but I think we US readers would see more savings on the cover price and more reliable street dates if it was printed/distributed domestically. Not to mention put it right in the front of Previews and generate some heat.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Grant Goggans

Deck chairs on the Titanic, fellows.  I think that DC is going same-day digital because they know that neither Diamond nor the direct market are long for this world.

das

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 28 August, 2011, 09:37:37 AM
Deck chairs on the Titanic, fellows.  I think that DC is going same-day digital because they know that neither Diamond nor the direct market are long for this world.

so, you're thinking ALL the world's comic shops will disappear ? (actually i guess most have).
well if there is no DIRECT MARKET it makes even more sense to hold on to & perhaps build a SUBSCRIBER MARKET. and one that you would mail to domestically to hold on to all available profits.

i work in a metropolitan library system and we keep hearing all about 'the end of books'  well with less then 1% of non-fiction material available on the web, we' be pretty stupid as a culture to burn the books.

and DC is welcome to sink i will take a prog over their entire line-up any day !

Grant Goggans

Yes.  Most have.  Heck, when I was working at a shop in Athens, there were five comic book stores in that town.  Now there's one, plus a weird gift and novelty shop that gets a few "hawt" books.  An ex of mine managed one of the Titan Games & Comics in Atlanta.  Used to be five or six shops in the chain.  Hers closes on Aug. 31, leaving just two.  And so on.

If Diamond goes, the only shops to survive will be the ones that can understand ordering from multiple catalogs.  It's my experience many will not.  Many *will* - The Beguiling, Comic Envy, Million Year Picnic, Great Escape, Isotope, Bizarro of course - but the direct market will most likely die this decade, and with it will go dozens of small publishers.  Dark Horse will survive, but will lose so many accounts that printing a weekly periodical would be a huge money loser.

I say good riddance.  I've spent more than ten years calling out Diamond for being stupid, inefficient, run by turkeys, and an employer of morons.  I've literally unpacked comics from boxes that contained the crumbs from the packers' snack foods.  The retailers of the direct market prayed for a monopoly so that they could get all their superhero funnybooks from one place and not have to think about it, so they could go back to playing Magic: The Gathering.  Well, I'm bored with it, and the American comic industry is run by vampires and vultures anyway, so I'm happy to just read my prog on the computer and not have to deal with them anymore.

Now all I have to complain about is the horrible eleven-day gap between the Brit subscribers getting episode one of Indigo Prime and me reading it online.  Still, better eleven days than four months.

das

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i want to amass another 1700 progs and 300 megs over the next 30 years.

thrill power makes damn good wall insulation !!

O Lucky Stevie!

A quick heads up Diamond are allegedly shipping to Auxtralia this week:

Quote from: Adelaide Comics Centre2000 AD June/July Packs 2011
ABC Warriors Black Hole GN
Nikolai Dante Hero Of The Revolution TPB

Allegedly.  ;)

The US edition of The Complete Nemesis the Warlock Volume 2 seems to have fallen off S&S's schedule. But has anyone seen the second Tour of Duty: Mega City Justice through Diamond yet?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Adventurer

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 29 August, 2011, 08:20:03 AM
A quick heads up Diamond are allegedly shipping to Auxtralia this week:

Quote from: Adelaide Comics Centre2000 AD June/July Packs 2011
ABC Warriors Black Hole GN
Nikolai Dante Hero Of The Revolution TPB
These should be out in the US this week as well. According to the Diamond shipping list.
Allegedly.  ;)
Indeed
The US edition of The Complete Nemesis the Warlock Volume 2 seems to have fallen off S&S's schedule. But has anyone seen the second Tour of Duty: Mega City Justice through Diamond yet?
I have not seen Mega City Justice on a solicitation list, but I KNOW its available in the US right now.

2000 AD JUNE PACK was released a month ago, but it didn't officially show up on a shipping list until this week (along with JULY PACK).

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK