Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Torque-Armada basically a giant robot filled with humans who are like ants and covered in more humans like ants?  Ants... or termites?

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: AlexF on 04 October, 2019, 10:30:16 AM
There is an awful lot of 80s nostalgia going on in my TV watching / podcast listening habits of late, and none can touch the 80s glory of the new SS2000 logo.

But what's SpaceSpinner2000 going to look like in the year 1990?

Luckily not a problem I'll have to confront until we get to 1998! From hells heart I stab at thee, Future Conrad!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and seventy-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 559-562 of 2000AD, covering January and February 1988. This episode Purity gets a date, Johnny Alpha gets a new job, the Monad returns, and Dredd goes for a walkabout in the halls of the Judda!

Also, it's our third anniversary of podcasting! Raise a glass and wish us well, and tell Fox how wrong he is about Kraven the Hunter having a PhD!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

Well, his bio says he's got a PhD, but that's the Earth-3064 version and (crucially) the author misspelt "quantum". (This UK forum wants me to say misspelled, but that sounds like I cast a *freeep* instead of a fireball.) Also, I can't find him on linkedin.

Miss Pelt could be Kraven the Hunter's side-kick.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 October, 2019, 06:14:18 AM
Well, his bio says he's got a PhD, but that's the Earth-3064 version and (crucially) the author misspelt "quantum". (This UK forum wants me to say misspelled, but that sounds like I cast a *freeep* instead of a fireball.) Also, I can't find him on linkedin.

Miss Pelt could be Kraven the Hunter's side-kick.

Earth-616 only by gar! This was a crazy fight, and was basically just Fox antagonizing me for like an hour before the show started. I WAS FUMING

Leigh S

If we got the Satanic Panic in the UK, I wasn't aware of it! Metal got more flak, but even then that was reporting on what you guys were up to - over here, Motorhead would regularly appear on kids TV

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 07 October, 2019, 07:47:41 PM
If we got the Satanic Panic in the UK, I wasn't aware of it! Metal got more flak, but even then that was reporting on what you guys were up to - over here, Motorhead would regularly appear on kids TV

Not in relation to mëtal, but the Prince Of Lies was active in Cleveland, Rochdale and Orkney.

JOE SOAP

Steve Green

We'd had the video nasties thing a few years earlier, and later the BBFC going nuts over martial arts, kids making throwing stars in metalwork etc.

Flails also edited out/banned, ninja turtles rebranded to hero turtles.

We seemed relatively relaxed about spells and shit in RPG, I certainly don't recall it being much of an issue for D&D/Fighting gamebooks at least.

Steve Green

Although I recall Pat saying someone had a problem with the pagan/witchcraft stuff in Finn in the 90s...

Can't remember who it was... if they were identified at all.

So there is that..

Leigh S

It was peripheral and mostly based on what was being complained about in the US though

I think we were too Godless to take it as seriously when included as part of entertainment?

SpaceSpinner2000

It's not really a satanic panic unless you have people being arrest of large scale ritual abuse on the strength of highly questionable recovered memories!

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 October, 2019, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 07 October, 2019, 07:47:41 PM
If we got the Satanic Panic in the UK, I wasn't aware of it!

The Cook Report: The Devils Work (1989)

Wow, Tharg really went all-out on the multi-media promotion for Thistlebone.

Dandontdare

A vicar in Blackburn denounced D&D in the late 80s and I had a letter printed in the local paper calling him out for it - I'll see if I can find it!

Colin YNWA

I think we'd just come out of the Beastie Boys will ruin your children phase at this time - I remember a lot of fuss around them in 1987/8.

Anyway just wanted to say the sentiment at the opening of the show was quite wonderful. The only downside to Fox getting married is that it breaks the dream that the pair of you would get it together... mind that might have been like when Maddie Hayes and David Addison (was it) got it together on Moonlighting - it'd be all downhill from there, so guess I should be grateful.