Main Menu

Wiki Beta, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the community

Started by VinceBot, 19 January, 2010, 04:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VinceBot

Yes, we now have a Wiki for the community to fill up with all things 2000AD!

It doesn't feature on the front page or have any links to it on the flashy banner, but thats a technical issue rather than laziness. While it's in beta and contains hardly any original data it'll stay off the front page.
Hopefully you guys can adopt the Wiki and before long it'll be up there alongside the News button.

The stickied thread explains the majority of all things related to interaction, so give that a read if you've never used a Wiki before, or want to know whats special about this one.

Where we're at

I've spent the last week setting up a converter to grab all the data from the Vault and jam it into the Wiki - 99% of the data make it unharmed, but there are still some sketchy elements. If you spot any, feel free to fix them.

Progs, Megs, Creators, Characters and Series all use templates to organise their data. You can see this by going into a Prog and hitting the "Edit" tab.
I'd like to keep all progs, megs, specials and graphic novels using these kinds of templates, so please keep using them where possible.

All articles are missing data, or have terribe, terrible images. Feel free to browse through characters and series and things and update their pictures, or fill out their statistics and whatnot.

Stories, all 3,319 of them, are missing a synopsis and list of character appearances.

Speaking of character appearances, feel free to name or create articles for not only main characters but bit-part characters and villains and things. The Wiki, unlike the Vault, has room for everyone.

Progs and Megazines all need their Captial field filling out, which is the prominent themed text line that features on the front of the cover.

All specials and graphic novels need adding, even by name. If you happen to have a 2000AD graphic novel set next to you, type in the title into the address bar and create a new page for it.

Finally..

Don't get angry or moan about other peoples utilisation of the Wiki - its a collaborative effort and anyone can edit it, including you. If you spot claring mistakes, feel free to change them.

Be civil, be patient, and report any problems you can't fix yourself.

Have fun guys, I hope you can make something good out of this.

TordelBack

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm with Tordelback, my family will put out a missing persons report for me now. HELP!

James Stacey

VinceBot

Glad you fear for your spare time ;)

The "recent changes" page seems to be broken somehow. I'm looking into it.

w3bz

I'm going to be watching this unfold with a mixture of glee and dread on my face...

...there is no smiley to express that...

Gavin_Leahy_Block

There's so much to do and there are so few of us, we had better get to work then. Well done, to all involved in its creation.

w3bz

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 19 January, 2010, 05:04:57 PM
There's so much to do and there are so few of us, we had better get to work then. Well done, to all involved in its creation.

<-- points at VinceBot :D

(*pats self on back for not unnecessarily expiring droid due to overwork*)

VinceBot

I've worked out the Recent Changes issue is due to the Liquid Threads extension, but I can't find any information on it. It might simply be a case of updating to te latest version, but it's not going to get done until tomorrow.

The Enigmatic Dr X

"Bring out the geeks"

"But the geeks are sleeping"

"Well, you better just go wake them"
Lock up your spoons!

Emperor

The link here said presents!!

I don't seem to be able to log in - it takes me to the forum login, I log in and it takes me to the forum main page and the wiki doesn't seem to recognise me as being logged in.

Also - is there room for things like Class of '79, Dogbreath or Zarjaz in there? There is a section for the small press feature in the Meg and it might help with that too.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

pauljholden

I want to contribute, but, like Emperor, I'm in an endless need to login/already logged in loop...

Very excited though, AT LAST, 2000AD individual issues can link to online reviews AND the clickwheel website for downloading those issues. Which means I can point someone from my website to 2000AD work I've done and give them a chance to buy it!

HURRAH!

-pj

TordelBack

Surely the most pressing issue is how we get this thread http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27333.0/topicseen.html uploaded in its entirety to the Sláine section. 

Colin YNWA